- Paperback: 432 pages
- Publisher: For Dummies; 5 edition (September 19, 2012)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1118288726
- ISBN-13: 978-1118288726
- Product Dimensions: 7.4 x 0.8 x 9.3 inches
- Shipping Weight: 1.4 pounds
- Average Customer Review: 115 customer reviews
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #56,966 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
Wine For Dummies Paperback – August 31, 2012
Customers who bought this item also bought
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
From the Back Cover
The fast and easy way to demystify and enjoy wine
Wine enthusiasts and novices, raise your glasses! The #1 wine book has been updated! If you're a connoisseur, Wine For Dummies will get you up to speed on what's "in" and help you take your hobby to the next level. If you're a newbie, it'll clue you in on what you've been missing and show you how to get started in the wonderful world of wine.
- Wine 101 discover which grapes are used in winemaking, the basic types of wine, how wines are named, and how to properly taste wine
- Pour your heart out find out how to shop for wine, decode restaurant wine lists, remove those stubborn corks, and pair wine with food
- Visit the old world take a tour of the major wine regions of Europe: France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Austria, and Greece
- Get in with the new adventure to Australia, New Zealand, Chile, Argentina, and South Africa, and then take a look at the major wine areas in the United States
- Catch the wine bug get the lowdown on how to describe and rate wines, store wine properly, and pursue your love of wine
Open the book and find:
- How to decipher cryptic wine labels
- Hands-on info on how to pair wine with food
- How to open, aerate, and store wine
- Where to get deals on great wines
- Tips on choosing wines that please your palate
- How to taste and rate wine like a pro
- Plain-English explanations of wine terms
- Understand grape varieties and wine styles
- Decipher wine lists and wine labels
- Appreciate wines from around the world
- Select, store, open, pour, and enjoy wine
About the Author
Ed McCarthy, CWE, is a regular contributor to WineReviewOnline.com and Beverage Media. Mary Ewing-Mulligan, MW, is president of the International Wine Center in New York. Together, they are the authors of many For Dummies wine guides, including Italian Wine For Dummies.
Top customer reviews
In my opinion, this is one of the very best books introducing the novice to the world of wine. It is easy to read, comprehensive, and accurate but for a few minor errors. It goes far beyond many introductory books and could actually be considered an intermediate level reference. This is the book I chose to use in my wine class.
I suggest reading the other book first as a primer, and then reading Wine For Dummies, which is far more thorough. They really complement each other very well when read in that order. You will effectively be a wine expert after absorbing the info from these two books.