Lyft Industrial Deals Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Alexa on Mobile PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 288 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 561 reviews
on April 7, 2013
I do not regularly watch shows about nature, but this documentary on bird migration is fantastic. The moviemakers flew in ultralights alongside various birds of the world, oftentimes over exotic locations. The result is images so stunning that it is hard to believe they are not enhanced by CGI. While there is no storyline per se, I found myself laughing throughout the movie at the antics of the birds. The film was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Documentary (sadly, it lost to a vastly inferior film--Michael Moore's Bowling for Columbine).

This is the kind of film where you want the best possible resolution, and this blu-ray transfer does not disappoint. The level of detail is stunning in most scenes, particularly those shot in direct sunlight. Color saturation is strong. At times it felt like you were right there with the birds. Some scenes shot in lowlight or overcast conditions have film grain, but it is soft, not gritty. I can live with that. The sound was fine, I suppose, although my eyes were so absorbed in the visuals that I did not pay too much attention to the audio.

Parental Advisory: This movie is rated G. It is suitable for even young children. There are a few scenes that show birds being killed by predators, but they are mostly bloodless.

I highly recommend this movie. You do not need to be ornithologist to appreciate it. It is a "must see."
on September 4, 2012
"Winged Migration", is a DVD by Jacques Perrin. My copy is the "Special Edition" which includes a "Making of..." feature which is more than half the value of the DVD.
The chief value of the movie proper is its' very, very beautiful and creative photography.
But that has a drawback too as it is an overload of scenes of birds flying.
Much of the flying footage is of various Geese species - no doubt because Geese are easy to "imprint" and thus unafraid of humans, camera and flying. Virtually all the birds photographed are larger species - Geese, Swans, pelagic birds, a couple land-oriented species (e.g. Western Grebes, Cranes, and Sage Grouse).
You won't learn a tremendous amount about Migration but the movie and the "Making of..." trailer will provide you with considerable entertainment.
on January 11, 2017
I saw this when it originally aired and it was overly simplistic in terms of the ecology of migration, which could have been handled a bit more informatively. However, what the film lacks in ecological education, it over-flows with a photographic feast for the eyes. I showed it this time to my 9 year old daughter, and she was utterly enthralled, and kept repeating, "It's so beautiful daddy..." #dadwin
on December 19, 2016
I've watched this amazing video dozens of times and shared it with friends and family. They all loved it, from my 1-yr-old grandson to my 92-yr-old dad. Both the soundtrack and the video are so soothing you could fall asleep, but you won't want to miss any of it.
on September 18, 2011
This DVD was a favorite from a library I saw a few years ago and looked on Amazon to see if I could find it since it stayed in my memory for sometime....I would think about it every now and then, so I've finally purchased it....and the cover is superb_ a very good edition.

The producers of this video start off with a flock of geese taking off to Migrate over thousands of miles over different countries.....and you see the progress of their flight here and there amoungst footage of other migrating birds and some native birds in different countries......it is put together and narrated very well.
on July 20, 2017
EXCELLENT PRODUCTION. I HAD BOUGHT THE ORIGINAL WHEN IT FIRST RELEASED.
on December 15, 2014
This is a film I have seen many times, and continue to enjoy with each reshowing. it is one i like to recommend and show to friends. The cinematography on this film is simply mind-boggling, and yet there is not one moment where I suspect these marvelous filmmakers of cheating or taking the easy way out. It is another wonderful film to show to children to engender in them the kind of respect for nature, at least the winged migrants of our planet, that will help to make them into fit conservators of our environment.
on August 20, 2017
Enjoyed this with my Dad, great laughs and awe before the mystery of creation.
on March 12, 2012
Just about the most beautiful movie I've ever seen.

I watched the movie before the extra material, and I was mystified.

The extra material is another wonderful movie in its self.

The music is another pluss.

If you have a large HD TV and a good sound system, this is the movie that will make you glad that you spent all that money on fancy home entertainment equipment.
on December 30, 2010
I have had "Winged Migration on DVD for several years, It is always a favorite. When the price on Blu-Ray Winged Migration came down, I thought I would take a chance and see if it was really HD or if it was just DVD (480p) quality recorded on the new media. I was not disappointed. The Blu-Ray is in wonderful HD when played on my PS3, 50" Plasma and Home Theater. The choppy lettering on the DVD is now smooth and clear, The sound quality is excellent, especially deep bass with Avalanche and Geyser scenes. There are a few scenes filmed in cloudy conditions that were not crystal sharp, but is expected in that setting and adds to the effect - like the industrial complex scene. The Blu-ray makes this film a work of art as well as a nature film. Great scenery, beautiful birds, and every environment you can think of. It is worth seeing again and again. Everyone in the family will love it.