Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Wings: Final Season
Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Chris Staples Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now

Underated. Under appreciated (except for it's diehard fans such as I). Badly treated and wholly ignored in promotion by it's own network, nonetheless Wings completed eight seasons that are an excellent example of finely tuned ensemble work by a tightly knitted group of actors in a simple setting. When you realize that along with Tim Daly, Steven Weber, Crystal Bernard, David Schramm, and Rebecca Schull and their pitch perfect characterizations - the series also introduced us to Thomas Hayden Church and Tony Shalhoub, not to mention featuring Amy Yasbeck (widow of John Ritter). I never understood why this series didn't find main stream fame like Cheers. To each his own I guess. This final season caps the madcap adventures of our cast with style and wit and while I can enjoy the antics of the majors in their post-series roles on Screen and TV I will forever have to dip my toes back into this series to get my fix of Fay Evelyn Schlob-Dumbly-DeVay-Cochran and her antagonist Roy Biggins (who took a skewed Oliver Hardy to new heights). So buy it my fellow travelers and let's all gather at Tom Nevers Field to laugh and cry and soar again.
on May 20, 2009
Wings is my all-time favorite sitcom. Even though I agree the last season was a bit weak, I still enjoyed it.

I think when the writers took the main plots out of the airport, it lost a lot. In my opinion, the weakest episodes took place in Helen and Joe's home. No matter how hard you try, wings on a vacuum cleaner doesn't work.

I am glad I purchased the entire collection (including season 8). I have already watched them all several times and I am sure I will, many times in the future.

For the entire series, I give Wings a strong 5 stars.
on April 19, 2009
Seeing the final season of WINGS again after all these years reminds me of what I always felt was a strange mystery about the show............ that mystery being ... "What the heck happened behind the scenes in the final season ?"

My wife and I have a collection of classic TV shows on DVD that we love and would rather watch 100 times over compared to much of the crap on these days. These include our favorites...... WINGS, CHEERS, SEINFELD, HOGANS HEROES, BECKER, STAR TREK TOS, etc......

But this final season of WINGS always seemed very strange.

You know how sometimes a show goes off the air and years later a reunion episode is done -or- they try to bring back the series and it feels wrong -- as though the actors could not connect with the vibe of their old characters ?
(think some of the Brady reunion shows where in their attempt to recapture the feel of their old characters they end up becoming their own spoofs).

WING'S final season seems that way.

Of course the stories were just silly and over the top for most of the last season (episodes like the Vacuum Cleaner episode are just painful to watch). This is the fault of the writers.

But in addition to this some of the key actors really overplayed their parts and seemed out of character compared to earlier episodes. This is especially true of Tim Daly and the way Joe behaved in most of the final season's episodes. Helen was also over animated most of this last season.

Brian, Casey and Roy seemed to stay in character.

WINGS is still among our top 5 shows of all time and of course in no form of art or work can the same standard be maintained forever.
All things in life have their birth, peak period, decline and eventual departure. TV shows are no different in that regard.

We will continue to watch WINGS over and over many times in our lives in the future, although I think Season 7 will not come out of the DVD case very often.

It would be interesting to know something about what was going behind the scenes during this time, as the changes in this last season were very unusual and noticeable.
66 comments| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 28, 2009
I'm not sure why this season gets such a bad rap, I found it very enjoyable. It's somewhat different than the other seasons, yes, but after seeing it I don't think it's nearly as bad as people make it out to be. Definitely worth buying, there are a lot of moments here that made me laugh out loud. I thought Casey (Amy Yasbeck's character) was particularly funny this season, and a handful of these episodes rank amongst my favorites of the entire series. Buy it, see what you think. If you're a Wings fan I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy it.
on March 5, 2014
What a great group. Always funny and into each other's lives with laughing and crying on how they will always be friends, etc. etc.
I enjoyed all the shows and recommend this one as a keeper. Kudos to the seller for fast delivery.
on February 17, 2009
I will buy this just to complete the set of my all time favorite series, but like so many other series, it should have ended just one season sooner than it did. This is what I consider the worst of Wings, but some of it is still funny enough to enjoy if you were a fan.
on December 10, 2013
Nice to see a twist on the happily ever after and Joe does try hard to make Helen happy. Sorry the series ended, so its nice to have this completing the collection. Too bad there aren't more series like these (Frasier, Cheers) as they had storylines not just beefcake men and gorgeous women to pretty up the screen.
on March 18, 2009
I will have to agree that this probably isn't Wings' best season, but I love it just the same! When "Lowell" left the show, I thought the show would end with that season as well. But Crystal Bernard and Steven Weber, along with the additional of Amy Yasbeck as Helen's sister, the show was a riot! These 3 were definitely what kept the show going! I love Tim Daly, however, he's not as strong a comedic actor as these 3. Can't wait to get this video!
on November 3, 2013
It pains me to give the final season of Wings 3 stars but I must be honest with myself. The hilarious and touching series Wings has such a bland final season. If you dislike battle-of-the-sexes comedies like Everybody loves Raymond and King of Queens you probably won't like this season. The stories are uninteresting and the dialogue is unfunny. The only great episode is the series finale. It is actually a callback to the very first episode as the brothers continue their late father's wild goose chase and find out their inheritance has been in the airport the whole time. They squabble over the inheritance but the end is very touching.
on February 1, 2014
this is a 5 star dvd,espeacially if you own the first 5. It gives me the complete set and Ihave watched it over and over and laughed everytime. I have also loaned it to others who were surprised how much they enjoyed it