Other Sellers on Amazon
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier with True HEPA, PlasmaWave and Odor Reducing Washable AOC Carbon Filter
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- True-HEPA filter captures 99.97% of airborne pollutants; dust mites, pet dander, pollen and other allergens as small as 0.3 microns.
- Washable AOC™ Carbon Filter, made from activated carbon granulars for removal of household odors.
- PlasmaWave acts as a permanent filter to safely break down odor, allergens, chemical vapors and other pollutants - with no harmful ozone.
- Smart Sensors gauge the air and our Auto Mode adjusts the fan to filter the air as needed; with a sleep mode for silent night-time operation.
- CADR rated for 360 sq. ft. room size. Suitable for medium and large rooms; kids bedrooms, family rooms and kitchens.
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
From the manufacturer
3 Stage Air Purification
(Coated Deodorization) Carbon Filter
Reduces VOCs and household odors from cooking, pets, and smoke. It is designed to catch airborne particles found indoors, which also helps prolong the True HEPA Filter life.
True HEPA Filter
True HEPA filters capture 99.97%* of airborne allergens including; pollen, mold spores, dust, pet dander, microbes, and smoke.
*Particles as small as 0.3 microns in size.
PlasmaWave Technology works at a molecular level to safely breaks down odors, allergens, chemical vapors, and other indoor pollutants, without emitting harmful Ozone.
AHAM Verified & CADR Rating
- AHAM - 360 sq. ft.
- Dust - 243
- Pollen - 246
- Smoke - 232
4 Fan Speeds
Want to control your unit manually? The 5500-2 has you covered. With 4 settings you can manually set the speed to exactly what you want. So show the particles in your air whose boss by choosing between Low, Medium, High, and Turbo.
Smart Sensors & Auto Mode
Utilizing our Smart Sensors the 5500-2 consistently monitors the air around it. The LED indicator displays the quality on a scale of good to poor (1-3). When the unit senses the quality change, it automatically adjusts the speed at which it’s running to equalize the pollutants and create clean. pure. air.
LED Auto Dim Feature
With the end user in mind our engineers had a great thought; why do the LED lights remain bright even when it’s dark? With that thought in mind we created the auto dim feature; which senses the amount of ambient light in the room, allowing the unit to adjust the brightness of the display.
Filter Replacement Indicator
Worried you might forget when your filter needs to be changed? Fret not. The 5500-2 will let you know when it’s time. The control panel will display an LED alert until the filter is changed. On average the (CD)Carbon Pre-Filter needs to be changed every 6 months and the True HEPA Filter needs to be changed every year.
Established over 40 years ago, in 1973, our goal is and always has been simple; provide clean air and clean water. Winix is in constant pursuit of 'next generation' technologies and quality engineering leading to aesthetically pleasing, user friendly and (most importantly) powerfully effective products. We have a rich history of innovation and our uncompromised ethical standards are second to none.
The WINIX 5500-2 Air Cleaner replaces the wildly popular 5500 model; designed for any home environment and ready to capture dust, pollen, pet dander, smoke, mold spores, VOC (volatile organic compounds) and household odors. With a CADR (Clean Air Delivery Rate) rating from AHAM (Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers), this unit is best used for medium to large living spaces, kitchens, or bedrooms. The WINIX 5500-2 uses a 3-stage air cleaning system, featuring a Washable AOC (Advanced Odor Control) Carbon Filter, 99.97 percent efficient True HEPA filter and WINIX PlasmaWave technology. Features: 360 sq. ft. room size, VOC Smart Sensor, air quality visual indicator, light sensor, auto & sleep mode, remote control, CUL Listed, AHAM CADR (Clean Air Delivery Rate) certified, CARB certified (California Air Resources Board), Energy Star certified.
Top customer reviews
Once the air flows through the filters, it is redistributed cleanly through the vent on top of the unit. What I really like is that you can adjust the fan speed to four different speeds (low to high), and you even have a sleep mode to shut off the lighting and drops the db lv to almost nothing. Even with the fan on high, I don't find the noise all that loud.
The coolest feature about this purifier is the three light system. If you put this unit on automatic mode, the fans will adjust themselves automatically depending on how dirty the air is. For example, if I vacuume near this, the red light comes on indicating that there is a high concentration particulates in the air, so it will automatically turn the unit on high, but if there is a low about, it turns orange. The fan will lower to a medium rate, but if the air quality is good, it stays blue. This also happens when the dog walks and/or stirs in front of it.
The plasma wave technology can also be turned off with a push of a button. I was first concerned of ozone, but what this unit puts off is far below what the EPA recommends for this type of unit. It also comes with a remote which is very handy, and not to mention, it really looks nice.
If you have allergies like me, smoke or just feel that your air quality is not at its best, I 100% recommend this product.
Compared to other air purifiers I've used, this one easily takes the cake.
* The filters are stupidly easy to swap in and out (Initial setup was around two minutes to peel off plastic protective films and put everything together).
* The unit is nearly noiseless. On low or Sleep mode, I couldn't hear a fan at all over the ambient noise of a home. I've caught myself on multiple occasions actually waving my hand over the unit to double check that it's still running - it's that quiet. I've spent four nights now with it on Sleep mode inches from my head and it's so quiet I'll hit it getting out of bed.
* Medium has about the same noise as a normal desktop computer - it's something you can barely detect, but it's a soft whirr that quickly blends into the background.
* High picks up the noise to a detectable level, but if it's behind a corner or otherwise not in direct earshot, quickly blends into the background.
* Turbo, as called out in other reviews, is fairly noisy, but I'd put it at about the level of a standard HEPA unit on Medium. You'll easily hear it, even in a different room. I keep Turbo mode to setting in a room when I leave the house or will have the doors closed.
* The remote control is nifty, but a bit unreliable. I've found I have to hit buttons several times before it "wakes up" and starts controlling the unit.
* There's a great little carrying handle on the top of the unit, and with the sleek boxy shape and low weight it's very easy to move from room to room
* After a spring cleaning, the shower had a very pungent chemical odor from cleaning agents. Setting this down on Turbo and shutting the door to the bathroom for a few hours did an excellent job of clearing that up.
* The cord is fairly short - I'd say about 5ft? This could be considered a pro (less to manage), but if you plan to have it anywhere but near an outlet you'll need to run an extension.
* Remote is a bit finnicky and doesn't always work, you may have to mash it a bit before it starts sending commands
* Sleep mode only lets you run it on Low, so if you don't mind the slight extra noise of Medium (or prefer it as a white noise generator), you'll have to put up with the bright lights or find a way to cover them up.
Things I can't comment on:
* Filtration quality: It certainly -seems- to do a good job, but I don't have a suite of tests to run, and I'm loathe to generate a bunch of noxious vapors to see how well it handles them. My last HEPA unit still smells like bacon from having to use it as an impromptu range hood, and I'm not ruining a second one.
* "Plasmawave" : I couldn't say what, if anything this does. I don't smell any ozone or other negative signs, and don't notice any difference in having it on or off. Perhaps it's more apparent in a situation where you have strong vapors, but I've only had it running in an otherwise relatively clean house.
I'd say this is a very solid air filtration unit. My primary use-case is to tamp down everyday odors and pet hair/dander. The charcoal filter does a good job on odors, and the loose mesh pre-filter is FANTASTIC for pet hair. Easy to clean and replace, and prevents hair and dust bunnies from clogging up an expensive charcoal or HEPA filter.
If it wasn't so expensive, I'd keep one in every room of the house on Low or Medium. As it is, I've settled for carrying it to whichever area is most needed. The handle and light weight makes this pretty quick to do.
I liked it so well, that today I ordered a second unit, to use in the living room. Sorry to hear some are not having such a good experience, but the good thing about buying on Amazon is, no hassle returns. Remember the service that delivers the unit, just might have thrown or dropped your unit, it is not always the manufacturer at fault.
Most recent customer reviews
Forgive my lengthy review, I hope you find it informative and worth the read.Read more