Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Magazine Deals Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win STEM Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on June 7, 2012
When I think of Shawn I think of a great athlete with a bubbly personality and a big smile. As a gymnastics fan I would've liked to read more on her dealings with other athletes, coaches, us gymnastic staff, travels, etc. I realize she was still competing while she worked on this book so maybe that played a factor. She did share some stories of her adventure in Beijing and they were fun tales.

I did find the 2nd half of the book (post Olympics) surprising and honest, a lot of highs and lows for a young woman. Although I think she is probably 15-20 years too young to write a memoir on life lessons this is a decent book for a 20 year old athlete and is a fairly entertaining read.
on January 22, 2017
Shawn's story is an inspiring journey for anyone. Very few realize how hard girls train to become an Olympic gymnast, and how coveted those spots on the team really are. The highlight for me is reading about the aftermath of being an Olympic medalist and figuring out what to do next... and these girls are so young to be faced with such big life choices. I mean, how many of us fulfill our life's dream by the age of 16 and are faced with what to do next? Shawn has made the transition beautifully and has embraced the Lord and her family and friends to lift her during the tough times. We can all learn something special from this spunky yet eloquent young lady who won our hearts in Beijing with her performance, and her sportsmanship... Truly a Golden Flower!
on March 26, 2015
I have always been a huge fan of Shawn Johnson even before all her fame from the Olympics. I follow gymnastics pretty heavily since I am a former gymnast/diver and she has always been one of my favorite gymnasts to watch. When I heard she had an autobiography about her coming out I had to get it. This book did not disappoint, it was interesting to hear about what she thought about the Olympics and post Olympics and training and just really about her life outside of gymnastics. I recommend to anyone who likes Shawn Johnson and wants to know more about her rather than just her Olympic gymnastics career. It also sends a lot of positive vibes for people to overcome difficulties in their lives.
on January 22, 2016
I love this book, finished reading it within a day ! I can't believe how a 17 year old girl (then) could write such an honest and entertaining book. I enjoyed reading every page of it. Especially the parts where she described her 2008 Olympic experience were so unique and intriguing . I have never seen an athlete describe Olympics and her own mental preparation during this event so genuinely before. Despite being much older than her, her book and personality really inspired me. Definitely a much more honest book than the one of Nastia Liukin.
on November 21, 2016
I loved that different times in her life she stepped back and reevaluated and turned to her coach, parents and God for strength and guidance. It did seem a little like she was saying that she deserved gold which was disappointing but she reflected from the experience and grew from it. She really needs to write a follow up book about her life now.
PS- you have to check out her You Tube channel; it's the best!
on October 13, 2016
Great story about an amazing young woman and her journey before and after being an Olympic Champion. She is a very inspirational person to read about, and if you have a young girl in your life that may need someone to look up to you've definitely found your book. This story really teaches you to go for your dreams but also how to be a kind, generous, and godly young woman along the way.
on December 18, 2013
I read this first to see if it's appropriate for my tweenish daughter, a gymnastic fan, and I feel it is. It is NOT primarily a memoir of her gymnastics training, experiences, or career, so if you are looking for that, this isn't it. She does of course talk about it, but it doesn't provide a lot of details on the training or moves itself. Her emphasis is her personal journey to date, and the second half is all post-Olympics, talking about her Dancing With The Stars experience, and her personal struggles to make sense of her life post-gymnastics. She talks a lot about her Christian faith in this part of the book, but I didn't feel it was proselytizing or judgmental. She is young, so it does seem immature compared to most memoirs- but most memoirs aren't written when someone is 20! For the short life she has had, she has done a lot, and she has a great optimism and heart to her. So if you are a fan, and/or a young girl or woman, you will probably really appreciate this book.
VINE VOICEon September 1, 2012
Because my daughter is a competitive gymnast, I knew this was a book we'd have to own as soon as I discovered it. Our family remembers well rooting for Shawn in the 2008 gymnastics. Watching her smile and intensity. The way she sparkled as she competed.

When I handed my daughter this book, I was curious whether it would resonate with her or be one she started and then put down. The pages flipped pretty fast as she learned more about Shawn and her journey. The book pairs her journey with her spiritual journey. It's told in a way that perfectly targets teens. The style is conversational taking you behind the scenes in the events in her life. Each chapter also ends with a Lesson I've Learned: a nugget of truth that applies to all of us.

This is a sports memoir with spiritual applications. A worthwhile read, and one I look forward to reading with my daughter next time.
on August 19, 2012
When I purchased this book I didn't know what was going to be in it, I was very interested to know what is involved in being an Olympic champion and having a faith in God too.
I was amazed to read at how high pressure the world of Gymnastics is! At such a young age being thrown in the deep end of the pool, I was amazed at how well Shawn maintained her personality, purity and sanity.

I found the book to be very well written, even me as a 19 year old male could enjoy it without getting bored and thinking about guns or something. I really liked the addition of a small portion dedicated to "What I learned".
Over all an amazing book of an amazing girl who has and will continue to do amazing things!

The only bad thing I came across was that it finished to soon.
on April 24, 2013
I found this book interesting and easy to read. It was a good book overall. I have always liked watching gymnastics, although it makes me nervous. I wasn't very familiar with Shawn Johnson because I didn't see much of the Olympics the year she was there. I knew of her, and was curious to know her story. My daughter recently started taking gymnastics classes and I happened to come across this book. I wasn't sure if I'd like it, but it was a good read. I would recommend it to people who are curious about the world of gymnastics, or who are fans of this gymnast.