Oil month Automotive HPC World Book Day Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on May 17, 2011
This is my second book on learning body language, the other one being 'What Every BODY is Saying' by Joe Navarro. By combining and using techniques from these two books, I've already made huge strides in becoming a better presenter. Joe's book is really good for reading people (finding tells, or finding clues of deception, etc), but does give insight to useful gestures that can communicate confidence. 'Winning Body Language' is more focused on being a better communicator in general, especially in the work place.

I'm one of those people who always feels awkward when I need to speak in front of a group of people (large or small), but at work I'm always finding myself needing to give presentations, demos, or conduct small meetings. I've had a number of bad experiences in the past that help fuel my paranoia - 'deer in the headlights' moments, jokes intended to loosen people up that flop, the feeling of high stress, ugh, what a nightmare. I would actually lose sleep the night before, knowing I had to do some sort of presentation. I started feeling helpless, so on a whim I purchased this book just to hopefully get a usefull nugget of information or two - and I got all that and more.

I just recently had to do a presentation on the software that I'm currently developing. At this point I had read Joe's book and I had read only the first few chapters of 'Winning Body Language'. Even this was enough to help me give a successful presentation. I used a few subtle hand gestures, and I also tried to keep my hands in the 'TruthPlane' as much as possible (something you'll learn in 'Winning Body Language'). Immediately I felt much more confident and I was getting great reactions by the observers. Usually when I speak, the air is really drab and sometimes quite thick, but this time it was very lively and productive. For once I actually felt great giving a presentation! Even after the presentation the Director of IT (my boss's boss) came up to me and said "That was a great presentation! You were really on fire this time!".

This stuff works! Out of the two books I've read thus far, I recommend 'Winning Body Language' if you are trying to become more successful with talking to groups of people. If you want to learn how to read people really well, then check out Navarro's book 'What Every BODY is Saying'. I could have just gotten away with 'Winning Body Language' for my intents, but being able to read people certainly pairs well with learning how to communicate effectively.
33 comments| 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 18, 2015
This book has some interesting points, but for the most part, it seems to mainly originate from the author's personal "feeling" of a situation, as opposed to being linked to concrete evidence or study. Furthermore, the writing style is verbose and repetitive, so much so, that it is sometimes difficult to grasp the main point. Finally, the examples are explained in such a way that they become subject to confirmation bias (ie you will perceive "this" when you do "this", now you try), as opposed to allowing the reader to do the exercise without knowing the intended result. There are better books out there.
on July 20, 2012
Great Read

This book is an advanced course in body language. It's extremely spot on, however I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a base knowledge of body gestures or practical experience in public speaking.

The author uses a wide array of techniques from many disciplines to bring enlightenment to the reader. Using a combination of Psychology, Physiology, Metaphysics and Kinesiology Bowden instructs the reader on how to effectively convey confidence and truth whilst presenting.

I think this book coupled with "The Definitive Book of Body Language" and "What Every Body is Saying" Makes a can't be beat curriculum in how to win at work, just using body language.
on September 14, 2015
Mark Bowden’s Winning Body Language holds fascinating insight on how powerful a tool our bodies are when it comes to communication and controlling a conversation. If you have any doubt, I invite you to watch his brilliant TED talk where he gives a very strong live demonstration of the elements discussed in this book.

I own many books on Body Language, and wasn’t expecting to learn a lot more from this one. I was wrong. After highlighting most of the first few pages, I finally put the highlighter down because there was something new and interesting on almost every page.

This is a must have book if you are interested in understanding how to use Body Language to get your message across!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 20, 2011
The book itself came in good time and was in good condition. I am still reading and enjoying it very much. I especially like background given for the reasons some postures/& gestures mean what they do. I am excited to try it in situations I can discuss with friends later. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to know what the other guy is 'really' thinking or wants to send a powerful silent message to all that can see him/her. It is easy to read and understand,including the diagrams.It is scary to think of how much we tell people with out saying a word! A Little advice:
Until you read the book...If you are just standing in a crowd and want to appear secure hold your hands near your belly button not hanging at your sides.
KYL Key You Later!Winning Body Language: Control the Conversation, Command Attention, and Convey the Right Message without Saying a Word
on June 4, 2012
I own around 300 books on different areas of psychology : Negotiations, influence, the subconscious mind, charisma, NLP, hypnosis, awareness, self-deception, listening, difficult conversations, emotions, handwriting analysis etc, and body language too. I have only written one other review, and felt compelled to write one for this book - for this book has blown me away completely. It is without doubt the single most influential (on me) book I have ever read.

The author suggests a few very easy to learn skills that can completely change the way we communicate - and to illustrate how, he gives you exercise that compare 'the normal body language' to 'the winning body language', and simply asks first that you look inside yourself to find the differences.

Let me restate the important bit again - the skills are easy to learn (yes, you still have to practice them to make them habit). This is because they are not complex skills, but very simple skills - simple skills that have a profound affect on the way we feel and think.

In reading so many books previously, I came to the unavoidable conclusion that our mind affects our body, and our body affects our mind. The author takes this 'law' one step further to show how certain types of body language profoundly affect the way we think.

I do have some criticisms of it - his chapter on breathing is somewhat confusing...and while I think he has the concept right, I don't think he fully understands the execution. That doesn't detract at all from the overall book. My only word for it is 'profound', and I recommend that every single person alive should read it :)
on January 20, 2014
Great book on basic body language techniques to use to get better results with your audience if public speaking, or how to be better received by anyone you are talking to if you're out meeting new people or even with old friends. This book will put you 3 or more steps ahead of the average person that knows nothing of body language.
on November 17, 2013
It has been useful in my advocating efforts. Learning how to read people before they speak is advantageous so as not appear insensitive or overly brash in first meetings and ensuing dialogue. Having the chance to people watch provides a better understanding to effectively communicate and achieve the best results. I was not aware of all the hidden signals one gives off, guess it is because of too much time spent in the barnyard and not the boardroom. Anyone needing to deal with people in a decision making capacity or responsibility should read this. Even interpersonal relationships will benefit with the information gleaned form its pages.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
Winning Body Language starts from ancient learning and proceeds to the most up to date knowledge we have. Although it reads slow in the beginning I couldn't put it down for long periods of time. Each chapter deals with different communication methods for business speakers, office workers and situations. Well worth the investment.
on December 25, 2013
I wasn't looking for that kind of info when I purchased the book, but once I started I could not stop reading, provides tips on how to stand behave talk (and even smile) that are easy to follow, contains videos where you can actually see for your self what is being said, I applied for a job and used what it said and nailed it, with the feedback I received I saw it had to do with I learned in the book