Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-9 of 9 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 18 reviews
on September 20, 2006
I have bought two of Robin Ryan's books, "60 Seconds and You're Hired" and "Soaring on Your Strengths." I believe the 60 Seconds book was instrumental when I landed the job I currently have. I practiced my 60-second pitch and I think it helped me secure the job. One of the interviewers told me later that I was "the cream of the crop,": focused on the job requirements and how I could satisfy them. I've been happy at this job, but started to wonder if I could do better and make more money somewhere else. For the last three or so months, I have been diligently answering ads but not always including a cover letter. My rationale: Why bother? It's too much work, and people don't read them anyway, and if they do, it's only for a few seconds. They'll hire me on the strenghts of my resume. Boy was I wrong.

I have to give Ms. Robin props for writing this effective book. I gauge its success by the results it delivers, and deliver it does. Using one of the techniques she outlines, I sent off a resume and cover letter for a job that's related to my current field but not in the industry I'm in, but pays almost double my current salary. I followed the guidelines and sent them off as a test to see what would happend.

I was amazed that after only two hours of sending off the resume and cover letter, I got an e-mail from the recruiter wanting an interview. Wow--that has never happened to me before. It was even more amazing because it's a very competitive field with plenty of qualified applicants.

I'm now convinced that I will never send off a resume without a thoughtful cover letter that addresses the job at hand and how my experience fits the bill.

If you've been job hunting without success, get this book. It's a very competitive out there and anything that can help distinquish you from the pack is worth the effort. This book helped me focus on my strengths and accomplishments. Its small price belies the wealth of information and insight you'll get.
on September 15, 2013
I had this book forever ago and loaned it out to friends. Never returned back to me, I decided to buy it again. I love having this book handy for any cover letter I may need to write in my future. Great GREAT book for those who want some help just formatting your cover letter. I actually was HIRED as an assistant to a VP of a major record label because my cover letter was so impressive. Granted, he had to interview me and go through all those steps, but the cover letter is what got me my interview and kept me in the running. He still commented on it throughout the entire time I was employed there.
on July 27, 2017
Outdated book, hasn't been updated in well over 15 years. Times have changed but this book hasn't. Save your money and look online for examples instead.
on November 26, 2012
I have been reading this book very closely and it does offer some good advice. However, in many instances, the book starts off with people who are highly experienced and does not offer much for people who don't have much experience or are still new to their field. I think this book fell a bit short in that aspect. It seems more like a book aimed towards people who have at least 10+ years of experience but does not have much advice and tips for new grads or people who are not very experienced. But still a good book to read for those who want to write a decent cover letter.
on December 3, 2015
lots of examples.... nothing really that isnt intuitive. if you can string together clear sentences on your own, you really dont need this...

not much really much of a reference... but I was pretty desperate.
on March 29, 2016
Good source!
on February 5, 2015
product was as described
on July 7, 2013
Robin Ryan is a great mentor and author and this book really helps the individual who is looking to land a great job.
on September 21, 2009
This book is very helpful for writing more effective cover letters, both those targeted at a particular job or general cover letters. I'd be interested in other peole's recommendations for cover letter writing resources.