Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning LastTycoon LastTycoon LastTycoon  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-9 of 9 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 27 reviews
on April 25, 2016
To the point and full of ideas! I have read dozens of sales books and this one hits the mark for consultants who are selling intangibles. As an Organizational and Talent Development consultant it closely follows principles learned years ago about effective change. Perhaps that's why it resonated so well with me. I have been an advocate for selling to client need rather than focusing on firm competence and he's the first one who really articulates that well. Also, he explores the things that inevitably go wrong during the sales, proposal and negotiating processes, all of which have happened to me. Other books imply that if you are selling well, these things won't happen, but that has definitely not been the case. The book is chock full of ideas, any of which will improve the professional services sale, but all together can be transformative. Easy read, clearly stated and to the point. Definitely not a rehash of other's work nor something you have to slog through like mud like several other referenced books in these reviews. I agree that David Meister's work is excellent, but not as to the point for this process.
on February 6, 2015
This is the guidebook for any service company owner who is tired of the project treadmill where a new job does no more than replace one you just finished. If you want to grow, this book will show you how to use the consulting approach where the service company collaborates with the buying company to create a valuable partnership based on the buying company's needs. That partnership should last indefinitely as the service company becomes an integrated supplier and more valuable to the buyer as time goes on.

Do yourself a favor and read this book from cover to cover. Then start over again to relate every page to your own experiences and realize how you can use these guidelines to approach clients with a different and much more rewarding objective. In a nutshell, you are going to love this book! It's a game changer.
on November 30, 2016
Great book...the author did a training session for our regional and global sales force (Leading Global Softaware Organization). It was extremely well received, helpful, and impactful. Michael McLaughlin is extremely knowledgeable, well prepared, and the ultimate professional. Highly recommend, especially if your organization and/or field sales staff is undergoing a transformation.
on May 21, 2010
My expectations were low when I purchased the book, but I was pleasantly surprised and used my highlighter far more than expected. I've spent the last 15 years in professional services sales, and this book crystalized the PS sales process. Every professional services person--from sales to associate--should read this book. Now so you'll know this isn't a totally puff review, my only criticism is that some topics were discussed rather lightly. After reading this book, you won't suddenly become a professional services sales guru, but you will be better than most. Consider this book not a 50,000-ft look at professional services sales, but more like a 20,000-ft look.
on March 19, 2010
The book argues that times have changed and the prospective client must be dealt with differently. That's true. Using the old presumptive close, for example, no longer works nor should it be attempted. However, I found the book lacked a good deal that actually goes into dealing with prospective clients. And, in some areas, it was just wrong. The part on negotiating, for example --- a good service seller does not cut price without cutting deliverables. That's not the position the book takes.

I have yet to find a book as useful as Harry Beckwith's "Selling the Invisible." I wish I could find one but so far my search is illusive.

However, if you've not read anything on this subject and want to get your feet wet, it can't hurt.

- Susanna K. Hutcheson
44 comments| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 29, 2009
I was suprised at how easy this book was to read and understand. There are alot of helpful ideas and insights. It helped me create a "sales pitch" that wasn't too pitchy. ( If you know what I mean.) I would recommend this book to any begining salesman or small starter company. It gets you off on the right foot.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 4, 2015
This book is great. It addresses some of the biggest questions I had, such as: what is winning and how do I? Can I sale? Not without a boat! Wait, that's sail. Anyway, with this book, not only did I learn about winning, I also learned about professionalling, servicing, and saling. Five stars, some funny bits.
on September 12, 2014
It's a excellent book. A necessary tool kit for consultants. Wonderful examples. The author really knows the business consultant word.
on March 5, 2015
A handy text for people new to the consulting business - I have recommended it to my Masters students.