Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now Ellen

Format: MP3 Music|Change
Price:$9.99

Showing 1-10 of 186 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 364 reviews
on December 20, 2011
This morning I went through my seasonal hunt for new Christmas music, going through Amazon previews of several albums and following links to new recommendations. Usually around a week before Christmas I binge on downloads. This year...it is amazing how even different styles ended up sounding like - just more of the same. I gave up and searched through my music library for something to listen to.

Wintersong. I had purchased Wintersong in my previous year's download binge and maybe listened to it once, probably while I was doing something else. I queued it up now, and over a couple tracks made a discovery - this is NOT just another Christmas album!

I am new to Sarah McLachlan - she had not entered my musical universe before now - so I came to this with no preconceptions. Here is what really struck me about Wintersong:

Her voice - obviously well trained - is absolutely gorgeous! The production and arrangement allow her to come through like an angel.

The feeling she brings is deep and thoughtful - she makes me rethink even very traditional songs, and pay attention to the new songs/covers. Christmas clearly means something to her. It makes this a very emotionally involving album.

The music - a nice mix of traditional, new, and modern favorites, arranged to bring the songs to the fore, and relaxed so you don't feel like its going helter-skelter through the required playlist.

The production. I am an ENEMY of the compression/loudness movement which reduces every track to sonic wallpaper (emphasis on the paper). I hate it when a really good artist is let down by a recording engineer with no restraint (e.g. Eli Reed's first two albums). I love the clarity of the recording (of course the arrangements make that easy). Wintersong sounds GREAT. And frankly, makes me hanker for a really high-rez download (like a 24-bit/96kHz FLAC)....

This is going to be in heavy rotation at my place for the next couple weeks, and may be the perfect centerpiece for the Christmas Eve playlist.
on December 28, 2006
I ordered this CD simply to add a little variety to my eclectic Christmas collection? I never owned anything recorded by Sarah McLachlan before, wasn't a fan. Just thought she had an interesting sound when sampling Amazon's current offerings. Since that time, this has become my favorite Christmas CD of all time. Every time I put Wintersong on, I feel drawn away to a solitary place. Her music imparts a highly intimate feel, delivers a spiritual resonance, a feeling of the true Christmas. It's soulful, it's reflective. It's refreshingly orginal, unlike a lot of other Christmas music. This is a masterfully chosen compilation of songs that are superbly balanced. I especially like McLachlan's River; it's simple and perfect, perhaps better than Joni Mitchell's original version, which is saying a lot. I would buy this product for that song alone. Then there's Song for a Winter's Night, which showcases amazingly pristine harmonies. You might actually feel a tingle or two down your spine. I have become addicted to her sound; and yet, each listen brings newer delights. In the Bleak Midwinter reveals hauntingly beautiful vocals. The musical arrangements on this CD are incredibly fresh and surprising. MaLachlan's piano accompaniment is unrivaled. The Christmas standards likewise have a unique, completely original sound. Listen to the Persian sounds in The First Noel and you will see wht I mean. Perfect for reflection, a romantic evening for two, for a gathering of any size. Buy one for yourself and one for a friend. You will not be disappointed.
on December 19, 2015
My favorite Christmas album. This is not your standard cover songs of familiar Christmas songs. It is so much more interesting. Passionate and soulful as only Sarah can be. Many of the songs were new to me. And the ones that weren't are creative, personal versions of great Christmas songs.
on January 2, 2017
One of my all time Christmas favorites
VINE VOICEon December 18, 2006
I adore Sarah McLachlan. Her voice is beautiful, haunting, and extremely emotional, and as a result, "Wintersong" is an exceptional holiday album. McLachlan's mix of traditional Christmas songs ("Silent Night," "I'll Be Home for Christmas," "What Child is This?") and more modern holiday classics ("River," "Happy Xmas [War is Over]") is very refreshing. Even though these are very popular songs that we all know and love, McLachlan brings a new dimension to all of them. Each song is rather melancholy, but not in a bad way...in a very Sarah McLachlan way. My favorite tracks on this album are "Wintersong" (the title track that McLachlan wrote herself), "Song for a Winter's Night" (which appears on one of my favorite Sarah McLachlan albums, "Rarities, B-Sides and Other Stuff"), and "Christmas Time is Here" (yep, that's the song from "A Charlie Brown Christmas," which Sarah performs with Diana Krall).

My only complaint about this album is that Amazon took its sweet time shipping it to me, so I didn't get to listen to all these great songs until today...I wish I'd been able to enjoy them sooner! "Wintersong" has quickly become one of my favorite holiday albums, and if you're a fan of Sarah's or of beautiful music in general, I'm sure you'll feel the same way.
on December 12, 2008
I purchased this on a whim because it features a cover of Joni Mitchell's River. Had never heard or heard of Sarah McLachlan. I'm very happy with my purchase. Quelle belle voix! Often languid, but complex and quirky, too. Two favorites: 1st: River. Ms McLachlan wisely chooses to stay close to Joni Mitchell's original. She conveys well the yearning for the northern winter that is the core of this piece. You too will want to put on your skates and leave commercialism, lost love, and palm trees behind. The only flaw: the final "fly" is unfortunate - much too bold, loud and long. 2nd: In the Bleak Mid-Winter: A unique, other-worldly rendition of the carol fashioned from the Christina Rossetti poem. The only carol I know of that hints, just barely hints, at doubt: "Angels and Archangels may have gathered there..." Apparently the angels attending Jesus' birth are not visible and thus unverifiable, and perhaps the Virgin Herself is unaware of their presence. Buy this album for these two pieces alone and enjoy the rest, too.
on November 5, 2016
Most beautiful Christmas cd of all. Third I have bought, wore out others! And she has a new one this year!!!!!
on January 22, 2016
This is a gorgeous holiday record. It has some traditional Christmas carols, some "pop" tunes that evoke the Christmas spirit, and at least one original composition. Definitely not what you hear in the elevator November through December! Sarah McLachlan's voice evokes the feeling of winter beautifully in this collection.
on December 10, 2014
My all time favorite Christmas CD. Ms. McLachlan brings just the right mix of joy and melancholy to these classics. "I'll Be Home For Christmas", "River" and "In the Bleak Midwinter" are not to be missed.
on December 26, 2007
Sarah McLachlan's Wintersong rises to the top of the holiday releases. Like a fresh coating of pure white snow on a crisp morning, Wintersong dazzles. Searching for meaningful artistic expression at this time of year--or any? McLachlan conveys a range of material, from carols to contemporary, with an authenticity that is too rare today. While breathing life into O Little Town Of Bethlehem, McLachlan bends notes and navigates intervals that draw us in. Perhaps the track that will last for many Christmases to come will be her rendering of Joni Mitchell's 1970 composition River. Mitchell seems prophetic in penning lyrics for which the world today is now ready: "I'm so hard to handle
I'm selfish and I'm sad
Now I've gone and lost the best baby
That I ever had
I wish I had a river I could skate away on..."
The honesty is enhanced by McLachlan's timbre and enunciation, and makes Wintersong feel balanced and experiential.
- Tim Brown