BCA Month Salon Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment TNF TNF TNF  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on December 15, 2014
Purchased this router in January 2014 and have had no issues. Firmware is still at 3.0.0.4.374, hardware version is A1. I purchased this router after I bricked a Cisco router from a bad firmware update. I'm writing this review (actually more of a potential solution) because I noticed a little over 10% of the reviews are 1 star (which is "normal" percentage of any product) and after scanning through the 1 stars the common theme is intermittent wi-fi drops and "weird" router behavior when using the USB 3.0 port. Something to be aware of is that USB 3.0 ports, cables, and devices transmit on the 2.4 GHz - 2.5 GHz range. From the Intel White Paper:

"As previously shown in Figure 2-2, the noise from USB 3.0 data spectrum can be high
(in the 2.4-2.5 GHz range). This noise can radiate from the USB 3.0 connector on a
PC platform, the USB 3.0 connector on the peripheral device or the USB 3.0 cable. If
the antenna of a wireless device operating in this band is placed close to any of the
above USB 3.0 radiation channels, it can pick up the broadband noise. The broadband
noise emitted from a USB 3.0 device can affect the SNR and limit the sensitivity of any
wireless receiver whose antenna is physically located close to the USB 3.0 device. This
may result in a drop in throughput on the wireless link."

I experienced this when I built a new computer and placed the router on top of the tower on my desk and plugged my Patriot USB 3.0 thumb drive in the USB 3.0 port on top of the tower which is about 8 inches from the router antenna. My desktop is Ethernet, so was not affected. Laptop1 was using 5.0 GHz band and was not affected. Laptop2 was using 2.4 GHz band and could not connect wirelessly. Took an hour to figure this out (only variable that changed was distance of thumb drive to antenna). My old computer's USB 3.0 port was at the bottom back of the tower and farther away. So basically, USB 3.0 acts as a router wi-fi jammer if located too close and it's easy to mistake this common issue as a router intermittent wi-fi drop issue.
2424 comments| 567 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 28, 2017
Wow. Goodbye Netgear. Hello ASUS RT-AC68U AC1900 router! In fairness to Netgear, the netgear r6300 I have had for years has been a stable product (with the right settings, however) and it was paired with a Arris SB6141 Cable modem, but lightning took both of them away. I went for the combo C7000 Netgear latest and greatest I wanted to like it but it lagged and had 20 second drops of connectivity. Unstable. Unacceptable new product with bugs was my experience and a lot of others had the same experience too. Reviews for Asus were surprisingly good and never had owned an ASUS router before but the reviews were so over the top I had to find out. So I ordered my new Arris SB6141 Cable modem (because it was rock solid for me before) and the RT-AC68U.

First impressions... wow nice build quality. Very impressive. Real removable antenna just like a real AP pro class. It just felt good and looked great. All the machining and connections looked above grade from any other manufacturers in the consumer space I have seen. A real "PRO-SUMER" product.

My background is I.T. and I am in this space so to impress me was not an easy feat. Our use case for this router is:
NO cable... all streaming house... using Two Roku, 6 laptops, one of them dedicated for streaming Xfinity TV-GO stations, a Wii game console, Grace Digital Mondo Internet Radio player, HP laserjet on wifi, oven on wifi, garage doors on wifi, heated tile floor thermostat on wifi (for the weather), and 6 smart phones (2 iphones, 4 android). Plus a "lab" in my office using wifi devices (Wifi scanners, etc) for job related activities. We often could be streaming roku channels (ESPN, FoxGo, etc) at the same time as Fox news on another tv, with Roku netflix upstairs as well, plus any of the household (or all) could be streaming online youtube, amazon video prime or facetime with friends.

So you can see its a heavy usage situation. My router right now has 21 devices connected at one time from the list mentioned above. Back to the review...
On powering up and connecting to this Asus the setup was so easy it was amazing with the wizard. I was online in seconds.
The interface was amazing... Wow. The feature set was so in depth and so well done that this was like router Eden. Graphics, Data, Stats galore. Instant salivation for anyone with an appreciation and knowledge on 802.11. They should have code named this router the ASUS PAVLOV.

All that is great but if it doesnt work, or drops its just a piece of pretty junk. Guess what. Its got it where it counts too.

Signal strength around the house is stronger than ever. Speeds on all clients are crazy fast. Stability on 2.4 *AND* 5ghz is what it should be. I mean wow. where has this router been all my life?? The router has a cpu graph for the dual core cpus in the interface and its barely breathing handling the traffic- even with all the bells and whistles turned on collecting traffic, stats and web history from clients! Oh and did I mention this is all with QoS turned off!! Why limit bandwidth if you dont need to? QoS seems to be used best for small pipes or compensating for poor routers that cant handle a load, in my expeience. My network is rock solid. I will update this if something changes, of course, but from my experience you just know when you know, you know? And for this router... I know!

In closing, watching the real-time bandwidth utilization graphic in the interface I can see the ebb a flow of downstream data (as well as upstream). Mine was pulsating in bursts from 6 to 28Mbps as the demands of multiple HD streaming clients was requested. Dual core CPU never clicked over single digits combined. I have Xfinity Blast! and speed tests were 75-80 down and 10-12 Up over 5g wifi -- just for reference. plenty of headroom.,Netflix Roku App's Network test reported that my Downstream capability to their servers was 17.35 Mbps. Nice.

So to sum up. I think this is the best router ever on many levels, Build quality, stability, feature set, and pairs very nicely with a Arris SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem, which to me is a proven solid product that I have used easily for over a decade (back when it was made under Motorola). I even used a 6121 4 channel version prior to this 6141 8 channel down / 4 up coming out about 10 years ago (I think).
6141=great modem.

Asus RT68=Awesome Stable Router
on August 7, 2017
I have had this router for over 2 months now. I bought this AC1900 router to upgrade from a 5th generation Apple airport extreme N router basically to satisfy my needs of lag free 4k streaming, multi device support (i have 12-14 devices), gaming and heavy web downloads. I compared other AC1900 routers - Linksys/NetGear/TPLink/Dlink and finally settled with one due to its granular level of configuration control and support for OpenSource firmware (DD-WRT, Tomato, Merlin). This router certainly did not disappoint and has lived up to my expectations. I get a full strength wifi coverage of my 1300 sqft apartment in 2.4 and 5G bands. My internet connection speed varies between 150 Mbps - 220 Mbps at the modem. With the Airport Extreme, I was getting 45-65 Mbps/2.4Ghz and 80-110 Mbps/5Ghz. With this new router, i am getting about 60-90 Mbps/2.4Ghz and
110-140 Mbps/5Ghz band. Part of the reason for the speed difference between the modem and the router is because I still run my old DOCSIS 3.0 modem. I need to upgrade this DOCSIS 3.1 because my internet speed plan is up to 220 Mbps. I am sure I will get more speeds out of the router if I upgrade my modem and hook it with this router.

I did notice some issues initially. 2.4 GHz band was dropping occasionally, pause in web traffic (had to restart) and some lag as well.
All of that went away except for the 2.4 GHz dropping problem after I upgraded to the latest firmware from Asus.So I further analyzed the issues and made few tweaks to the 2.4 GHz configuration.

1) Disabled explicit beamforming and implicit beamforming - This disables routers ability to send wifi packets in the exact direction (explicit) to the device that is requesting. Some older client wireless cards do not support this feature.
2) Changed channel bandwidth to 20 Mhz - Default is 20/40 Mhz. Router decides which one to use dynamically. Changing it to 20 Mhz ensures it less susceptible to interference, 40 Mhz is needed to support more bandwidth but it can interfere with other household devices.
3) Flashed it with Merlin firmware (This additionally boosted my performance and stability). This is different from the Asus stock firmware I noted above.
4) Disabled few parental control rules I already put in place.
5) Changed orientation of the 3 Antennas as per the manual like "\|/". Manual suggested it to be 45ºLeft- 90ºUp - 45ºRight
6) As a general rule for any router, I made sure there are no obstacles around the Antenna.
7) Disabled the option to transmit in "b/g/n" mode and set it to "n" only.

So far it's been good and the issue seem to go away!

Key Specs :
1.0 Ghz dual core processor
128MB Flash
256 MB RAM

Overall I recommend this router.
review image review image review image review image review image review image
on May 16, 2016
I have had this machine up and running for several months now. For the most part I love it. The settings interface is intuitive and pretty easy to use. It has all the bells and whistles for parental controls and port forwarding.

The only problem I have had is with certain devices connecting to it and staying connected. Here is what I found. For whatever reason, devices running Windows 8 do not like this router. Our Android and Windows 7 devices run smoothly, Windows 8 will connect but won't recognize the connection. Reset the router. Win8 will reconnect and work fine for a period of time and then fail again. It's just the Win8 devices though. I figure it has something to do with the wireless connection manager.

The router itself seems to be working just fine. It more then doubled the range of my old wireless.

**Update**
I have had this router a year and a half and it has become the favorite of any I have owned. We found the Windows 8 issue was fixed with driver upgrades. I am about to order another because lightning took out the first I bought. I have to say, Asus made a loyal customer of me with this product. I bought another Asus router that I use as a WAP for a far flung part of my house. Asus' interface made set up of the WAP super easy.
on May 22, 2016
My previous router was an Asus RT-N66u, which was starting to function less reliably than I would like. I had that router for more than three years, and was very happy with it. When I decided to get another Asus router, I was hoping it would be the same, dependable workhorse that my previous router was.

I got the new unit setup and configured easily. I started noticing an intermittent buzzing sound, likely from a cheap or defective capacitor. The buzzing isn't very loud, but it is noticeable, and moderately annoying - especially coming from a device that should be totally silent. After having the unit for several days, I determined that the buzzing corresponded with wifi activity (on either the 2.4 or 5 GHz bands). Moderate wifi usage would result in an intermittent buzzing, while heavy wifi loads (like running a speed test) would result in a continuous buzz. I contacted Asus support, who said the router was likely defective, and that I should return it for a new unit. I did just that, but unfortunately the second model I received has the exact same issue.

Overall the router is great - it's a nice small size, the interface is easy to use, and it has a great feature set. If not for the buzzing sounds it makes, it'd be a five-star router.

Edit: I'm revising my rating down to two stars, due to have now tried three units, all of which buzz, and one of which intermittently reset. I'm worried the third unit that I have will also develop the intermittent reset problem.
on October 16, 2013
I replaced an RT-AC66U that we moved to use as an access point to have AC coverage everywhere. I like the RT-AC68U as far as the wire port configuration better than the 66U. On the 66U if you use the stand, the wire ports are facing up, with the 68U, the unit is vertical and the ports exit the rear of the unit, making a cleaner install. The menu is the same and I just copied my customized settings to not have to "re-invent" the wheel as far as port forwarding and such. My only issue is that with the EXACT settings as my 66U somehow - someway my DVR is visible from the internet and via my phone and tablets, but not while actually in the house over the LAN. With the AC66U I could see the cameras from both the Lan and internet. I may have missed a setting (but I don't think so) but I'm sure this minor glitch will be fixed in the first firmware update. I am much happier with the coverage of this unit as a Router and the AC-66U as a remote Access Point than i was with a Dlink-Dir-655 as my router and a Dlink DAP-1525 as my access point. I am a mixed environment of clients wired and 2.5/5 GHz wireless. I believe this router will be very usable for at least 5-10 years. My wireless speed when tested through speedtest.net is about double what it was before with the same device in the same location in the house. I don't think you can go wrong with this unit.

10/31 Edit. Upon first install I thought it was great. However there were many missing features that I needed (LOOPBACK, VPN settings) that my AC66 had and worked great. I was on the initial firmware.205 upon first install. I contacted ASUS and they said new firmware was in process and gave me a link to a beta firmware. Upon install of the beta firmware and a complete from square one reset and reconfigure within 30 minutes the router lost all client connectivity. I did another complete reset and setup with the same results. I went back to firmware .205 and all was well again, with the router functioning fine for the next 2 days. I Contacted ASUS the next day via chat to let them know the issues i had and was told that the new firmware would be out in a few days and this was a bug being addressed. The Week later I installed firmware .291 and it was a repeat of the beta, lost connectivity over all clients as soon as we accessed a program that required loopback and after a reset It just lost connectivity by itself in about 30 minutes. Again did a complete reinstall, reset and setup from square one. Same loss of clients connectivity. Oct 30, Installed FW .306 and again did a complete reset and reconfigure from the beginning. In about an hour again lost connectivity. I reset again and let it run. I had connectivity for about 3 hours, till I ran a program (which works with the AC66) to review my DVR on the LAN via loopback and crash - the AC68 is down again. During this time of lost connectivity I cannot access the router setup without a reboot, All lights stay on, the cable modem shows traffic. The router is just unresponsive. With any firmware above .205 my unit will not function.

I really want this to work as the AC66 has been good. But I am replacing an 8 year old D-link router that got rebooted once a year or two, so I would expect the same reliability in a new product.

11/3 edit. I did another install of .306 firmware and clean reset / install. ASUS said to turn off HW acceleration. I did this combined with the DDR memory upgrade utility and its sweet sailing. Loopback no longer crashes the router. Speed is excellent I have 25MB internet and get 24.8MB across my wireless devices on the internet and much faster locally so can't complain there. I just pounded the router with all the traffic I could for the last 48 hours and it has not crashed or given any indication of failure. Not sure exactly what Hardware Acceleration is, but it should not be on by default evidently. Back to 5 Stars.
on February 16, 2016
I returned this item. I was initially really pleased, it was the first router I found that had a reboot scheduler built in. Turned out I needed to do that a LOT with this router. It would not allow devices to connect very frequently. Reboot from the phone app or with the scheduler sometimes fixed it, but I frequently had to power cycle it to get it back working again. The USB share seemed to work decently enough. I liked the functionality of the phone app, but am annoyed you couldn't add MAC addresses to the filter from the phone app.
I bought a Netgear R6400 after returning this item, so far I am very pleased with that. My prior router was a Netgear that failed after 5 years so I'm hopeful the R6400 lasts as long. In the few weeks of having the Netgear, there have been zero power cycles or reboots. It's working great.
I had high hopes for the Asus, but it didn't pan out for me.
on July 7, 2016
I have two of these units and have been using them for about 2 1/2 years. I use one as a regular wireless router and the other in the media bridge (repeater) mode. This is because our home is spread out and by adding the second unit it allows us to extend the range of the main unit and have a decent signal throughout, which was not possible with using only one unit.

The main unit has always worked well. The second unit became unstable less than a year after it was put into service. It began to drop wireless connections and sometimes would not even show up as a wireless connection point on our devices (phones, tablets, laptops, thermostats, etc.). But it would always return to service at a later time. I regret not taking the time to return the unit for repair while it was still under warranty. It recently became more unstable and finally quit working (at least the wireless portion). As of last night when we went to watch a movie, it will not connect to the other router now and does not show up as a wireless connection point on any of our devices. I have updated the router to the latest firmware each time it became available hoping this would fix the problem, but sadly it did not. I have also reset the router using the reset button on the rear of the device multiple times to no avail.

I wasted about an hour last night and another hour today trying to resolve the problem, but was unable to get it working properly. So I decided to call ASUS tech support to see if the unit was still under warranty and if not, how much would it cost to repair. This turned out to be a frustrating and aggravating ordeal. First, it took some time to find the phone number to call on their website. Then, their phone line went dead when trying multiple times to connect with their component product support department, which wireless routers fall under. I tried several of their product support phone lines and finally got through on their ASUS Store support line. The first agent I spoke with tried to connect me back to the component support line which disconnected me again. I made several additional calls and finally got someone in sales who need to take down my personal information and create a case number, even though I simply wanted to know how long the warranty on this product was and how much it would cost to fix if it was out of warranty.

She acknowledged that their component support line was down and offered to connect me directly to that department. Disconnected again. I thought I would call back one more time and give it one more go. This time the agent was able to connect me with the proper department and I was given the following information. First, my unit was out of warranty by about six months. But more disappointing was the service charge to repair my unit: 80% of the full retail cost of a new unit!. 80% of $130 (retail) is $104 (I didn't ask if that includes shipping). They're obviously making a product that is designed to only last two years and then be thrown away when it fails. For another $26, I went ahead and purchased a new unit with a full warranty.

I'm disappointed with their customer service and warranty on their products. That said, I think they make a good wireless router and am going to try one more. I rate my other ASUS router of the same model five stars, rate the second one which had problems shortly after purchase and then failed about 2 1/2 years after purchase one star. I also give their customer service agents 3 stars and their product support two stars. Finally, their warranty I give one star, due to the extremely high cost they charge, making it financially a poor option.
on January 3, 2016
I received this on 11/29 to replace a NetGear router. I configured it by attaching it directly to my PC via a CAT5 cable. I then placed it into service After one day I upgraded the firmware (by attaching it to my PC directly) to the latest Firmware level dated 10/27. I liked the fact that when updating the router the previous customization's were maintained unlike other routers I have had. It went smooth and I have not had any problems at all so far. I can use both the 2.4GHz and 5 GHz on both my phones and on the tablet. This is the first time I have been able to use 5 GHz on a router and not have it drop after a couple of minutes. I have had the 5 GHz drop when at he edges of the router range so although not perfect much improved. I have not had mine as long as some people who have posted problems after several months. I will update my post if things change
on August 26, 2015
My poor review is about Asus warranty service and support. When the router worked for nearly 2 years, it worked great. But then it just randomly died. I contacted Asus to get an RMA and provided my Amazon invoice. They approved the warranty repair and issued the RMA instructions, and I mailed the router to their repair center in California. One week later, they mailed it back - not fixed - because they said I had not provided a receipt, and they didn't receive payment for the repair.

I talked to at least four customer service reps over the course of a week, and each time they verified that they had received the receipt. Even when they sent the invoice, I called customer support to verify that they had the receipt, and they said not to worry. The funny thing is that the e-mail they sent with the bill for repairs reads, "click here to send your receipt for warranty claim" but they somehow forgot to hyperlink the "click here."

Asus customer support is out of this world terrible, which is a shame because the product is actually quite good. Fortunately, my other two RT-AC66Us are still working. But I definitely will NOT buy another Asus product, and I highly recommend that you too look elsewhere.