Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 98 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 176 reviews
on July 23, 2017
This is a television show that definitely needs to be issued in "Complete Series" box rather than by "arcs" ((usually 2 per season) with some individual shows in between. Not all the arcs were included in original releases (including my favorite with Deborah Harry about pirated foreign compact disc distribution). The result is that present form leaves out important individual links as well as later arcs from the ones offered. The complete "Wiseguy" would be a must-buy purchase with several soon-to-be movie stars playing villain roles (including Kevin Spacy in a particular kinky one with Joan Severance as sister). The stories as is are fine but the whole panorama of the "undercover life" is lost. Demand complete series release and you will have a classic. Along with the cruelly cut short "Crime Story," the two best crime series of the 1980's and among all-time best (shown in proper format).
on August 1, 2010
I might be a little biased, but I have to say I love Wiseguy and the Sonny Steelgrave arc is my all time favorite! I remember being in high school and having to tape episodes on my VCR :-), so I could watch them after my basketball games. Then I remember going off to college and making the girls in my dorm watch Wiseguy in the lounge. They all wanted to watch China Beach, but I had different ideas.

Anyway, I loved the show then and loved it as much watching it about 20 years later. I am now married with 2 children and watching the series evokes all of the same old emotions. I love the complex and emotional relationship that develops between Vinnie and Sonny. I also love Frank and his "quirky" personality. The writing and acting are superb and I would give the set more than five stars if I could. I also enjoyed the interviews with Stephen J. Cannell and Jonathan Banks. It is so fun to hear in their own words how they felt about the show.

I also purchased the Mel Profitt arc and enjoyed it. I especially appreciated the bonus interviews with Kevin Spacey and William Russ (among others). I remember being so intrigued with Wiseguy when I was younger and that same intrigue holds true today. It amazes me all of the talented guest stars they had that went on to do so well. It is definitely worth every penny and I would recommend both arcs to anyone. I am looking at getting the next set and will hopefully be as pleased with those. Thanks Stephen J. Cannell Productions for these awesome DVD's!
on March 25, 2013
Sometimes I'm leery of trying to watch a program that I adored when I was younger. I have found that as an adult, it doesn't seem nearly as compelling (such as Land of the Lost, which I found stressful and terrifying as a child. However, as an adult, I was shocked to see that the special effects were very rudimentary (not good) and the aliens didn't even look convincing). So I was nervous about purchasing Wiseguy. I was obsessed with this show when it was on the air. I'm relieved to say that it is still good. Yes, the technology is old school but the premise and the acting and the chemistry between the characters still works. Whew!
on September 12, 2014
Loved it the first time around. Ken Wahl & Jonathan Banks' characters started out slow, but their chemistry got better and better as the season wore on. Ray Sharkey (who was sadly taken before his time by AIDS) was amazing in the role of "Sonny Steelgrave." Kevin Spacey's ("House of Cards") perormance in the second half of season one one was very good, too. The technology of the show is pretty cheesy by today's standards, but the show itself is timeless. The quality of the show dropped off a little after the first season, but for the price it's well worth it, especially if you haven't seen it before.
on December 28, 2016
One of the best TV series of all time. The arc format was a ground breaker at the time, and the characters are believable, vulnerable, and far from perfect, meaning that they have depth, complexity and believablity. Jonathan Banks is just stellar through the whole series. I still watch this, even though it is 30 years old. It still holds up.
Okay, the packaging of WISE GUY is ticking a few off. In the day when they are releasing whole years of a series in a block on DVD at once, WISEGUY is optioning (more money honey) to package the WISEGUY in the Arcs. They were conceived to follow one storyline for around 13 episodes. The first of the arcs was Sonny Steelgrave (Ray Sharkey). Sharkey gives his roll of a lifetime performance as the mobster Vinnie Terranova is assigned to investigate. Vinnie comes from the background where mobs were the norm, so his gaining Steelgrave's confidence is not hard. Keeping it is another matter. Steelgrave is paranoid when anything is mentioned about the FBI and sees agents lurking everywhere. Soon Vinnie is getting sucked into actually liking the man he is sent to bring down.
Keeping Vinnie on the even keel and reminding him what he is there to do is Frank McPike Jonathan Banks and his check-in contact Lifeguard or "Uncle Mike" Jim Byrnes (Highlander). The writing is crisp and incisive, no black and whites drawn in characters, just a thousand shades of grey.
Forewarned, music changes were made due to contacts which hurt the anticipation of people who know the series well...ie...NO Nights in White Satin ending. Was back in the days artists were thrilled to see the songs used - now it's show me the money...sigh!
It's still a brilliant bit of work that was way ahead of it's time.
on April 24, 2005
I have to let everyone know my miserable experience with StudioWorks, the ones that created this mess with the DVD's in the first place...so if you do have a problem with your sets, it's not the seller's fault it's the creator's and the way it stands now, I would be weary of buying any future episodes until I see and hear that there aren't any issues about them. I followed the advice of one reviewer and e-mailed them back in January and they said replacements would be sent in 3- 4 weeks...well that goes by and I e-mail them back and they tell me not to worry, they're coming...3 weeks go by and I e-mail them again and they tell me to send back the bad discs so being that I didn't know just disc 1 and 4 were the only bad ones I sent them all...6 weeks go by, I have to e-mail them again and say, "where are my discs?" they reply: they're coming...I get a package a couple days later containing discs 2 and 3 and a note saying these are my originals and there is nothing wrong with them; Fine. Next day I get a package containing just disc 1 and NO disc 4 and so I figure that it is coming the next day...well I'm still waiting and they won't even answer me after they swear that they (all 4 discs) have all been sent out...I am a seller on Amazon.com here and I send stuff out 1st class and it usually gets there within 3 days and unless they use only pony express I don't understand why they are putting me through this since I am a devoted Wiseguy fan... so I am letting you fellow Wiseguy Fans to be careful about this set of DVD's and if you get bad ones blame it on StudioWorks and not these sellers.
on March 20, 2017
Great show.
on July 13, 2009
Here is the deal - the first year of WISEGUY was the best - though there were individual eps later in the next 2 years that were brilliant - none as cohesive as the full first season (with that very bad in between episode being the sole exception) - my guess is that this set collects all the first season eps and does not use the old music - since it's selling very cheap - that's a giveaway - another is that they are not TOUTING ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK on the box - which is another dead giveaway. You can still find copies of that ep with KNIGHTS IN WHITE SATIN on the web, ebay, etc - but what a shame not to have it here - what a shame. I suspect they will only do the first season since they never got the music rights for the music arc which was the 2nd season - so - this is a dubious but interesting project and i will be curious to see if there are any extras at all - that said - I hope i'm wrong about all of this - but somehow I don't think I am. For the record -as much as I loved STEELGRAVE ARC - i think it was the ROGER LACOCOCO MEL PROFIT arc that made this series a classic.
on April 22, 2013
First season was the best, wish this series had gone on for many years, unfortunately actor Ken Wahl turned his back on Hollyweird and went back to a real life in Union, N.J. building muscle cars, and good for him, he got my respect for doing it. Loved this first season, at least I have it, and can go back and watch....only difference was at the end of the 'Sonny Steelgrave' thread, the last episode does not play Knights in White Satin, which made it such a great, emotional part of that episode, because of some nonsense with the owners of the song, which was used in the original TV series....