Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 31 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 67 reviews
on October 5, 2013
Man, oh man, did I like this book!

What a refreshing change from much of the YA I've read over the past few years - and, surprisingly, it's not because the main character is gay. While that was a welcome novelty and deftly handled, allowing it to develop naturally and ripple throughout the story, it wasn't the basis of the story. The emotions the pair felt for one another weren't the driving force of the action. Instead, their emotions were something they had to fight against in order to achieve their goals. Nicely handled.

The characters overall were well-drawn and interesting, their motives complex and more varied than one book can fully reveal. I suspect that almost all of them have more layers to be pealed away in the series' subsequent books, which is a nice change of pace from many series that have a tendency to reveal all their secrets in the first book and then the writers struggle to come up with more layers the further the series goes.

The main character Braden was a real treat. He has a enticing voice that is easy to follow and casts a spell on the reader from the first chapter. His journey from boy to man is so subtly explored that it's easy for it to sneak up on you, but when it's time to make the hard decisions at the end of the book, you realize just how far he's come.

I did find the two boys' parents to be painted with a broad brush rather than with fine details. I got a better sense of them from what people said about them than actually observing them. So far I'm not sure they live up to the horrible reputations they have. Now this could be intentional and, like the other characters, more may be revealed as the series progresses. I'm hoping so.

I also found some of the descriptions during the magic sequences a bit confusing, especially early on in the book. I do think they improved quite a bit as the book progressed, though I did still find myself having to stop and go back and reread sections to be sure I completely understood what had just occurred.

These are minor points though in what was a thoroughly enjoyable book. Well worth the read and worth the series that follows.
on January 10, 2013
Braden is a witch. He finds himself in an old town where family rivalries hold strong and he is stuck in the middle. Tracey's take on magic is interesting. I like that the reader learns about the town, its families, and its magic as Braden does.

Tracey does an excellent job at writing a book with a gay protagonist where the story does not revolve around his sexuality. It just happens to be that he is attracted to guys. I would like to see more YA out there like this.

Although I did really enjoy the characters and the story, I wasn't completely captured, unable to put the book down. It actually took me a long time to finish it, although I did have a lot of things happening at the time. I have added the sequel to my to-be-read list and look forward to Tracey's writing future.

I give this book a 3.5/5. I liked the ideas behind it, but it just didn't capture my attention as much as I wanted it to. I recommend this to anyone interested in Paranormal YA, especially if you are looking for LGBT characters.
on May 3, 2017
Although I very seldom purchase a YA book, I must tell you---this one is pure gold! One of the best plots I've read in way too long.
As I dislike reviews full of spoilers, let me just say--Braden is one gutsy 17 yr old and I can't wait to read the second book in this series.
A huge thumbs up to Scott Tracey!
on June 9, 2017
Great read. It's good to find characters that have dimension, conflict, love and, just happen to be gay. I think Scott Tracey has expanded and enhanced the YA genre with his work. Well done.
on February 5, 2013
For a first book certainly very good.
BUT
It is quite like real life inasmuch that people do not think very much before they do something (see our young hero running away with no explanation), do not communicate nearly at all (he really should have tried to tell his father SOMETHING concerning THE lawyer, and his uncle John REALLY should have tried to tell him anything!), and there is nearly no explanation for some actions (WHY was Tray ready to kill our hero at the end? What was the point?). Also what happened with the miasma/black cloud over the town?
So since this is a book and not RL, some explanations would be quite welcome...
on July 14, 2017
This book is well written. Braden, Trey and the other characters are very realistic. I don't normally read LGBTQ, but I was interested in the idea of witch eyes. I imagine this book will appeal to those who would like a hero who happens to be gay. The story is intriguing and the characters are likeable and relatable.
on November 4, 2013
I really liked this book, though it bore all the hallmarks of a "young adult" read. The characteristics that really stood out for me were the plot and the mythos constructed by the author. The things that bugged me were the glaring logic bombs (no one in this town noticed the lawyer wasn't aging...really!?!), and the fact that the hero really needed a packet of Rolaids handy (note to the author: there are other parts of the body that register stress beside the stomach).

All in all a decent read. Recommended.
on January 4, 2014
Being not a YA I was hesistant to start a series of books about high schoolers, but then I thought about the Twilight series and decided to try Witch Eyes. The writing is very well done, character development is equally good and the story line is well crafted. At times it was a little hard to understand how things were happening, but loose ends were usually tied together. Each book was woven seamlessly into the previous one so there was no "gaps" that needed to be filled in.

While the main character is gay this is by no means a gay novel. There is the occasionally rare boy kissing boy, but there is no sexual material nor is the gay element a predominant theme. One might almost ask why it is there to begin with.

Very entertaining, fun reads all. Moved fairly quickly. This would be a good series for a vacation - light and easy.
on October 16, 2012
Wasn't quite sure what I would find when I got this book. First time author and all.

Well from page one I was hooked. Super read and solidly and well written. Great first effort for the author.

Loads of great characters, a little love interest and one hell of a story.

Braden went to that town to basically save his closed mouthed Uncle. Of course the whole thing could have been just to bait him into going to that damned Town.

Braden has a set of balls though and magic he's not afraid to use.

He finally met his Father. Not quite sure how thats going to go but it was nice to learn that his Dad got him out to protect him. Will have to see what the future hold for Father and son.

Still not sure on the dynamics of the place. Are Bradens Dad and Catherine really going to try to kill each other?? What is the rest of the story on that town and the folks in it.

As for Trey and Braden I really can't see that love story ending. Not sure how it will play out in book II.

I will be getting the second book in the series and can hardly wait to find out.

All in all a good well written read. I would recommend this book to anyone who follows the magic.
on June 13, 2017
I enjoyed reading this book. I don't know what being gay had to do with it. I admit being kind of lost at first but quickly grasped the story. It had quite a few surprises and twists.