Amazon Vehicles Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning whiteprincess whiteprincess whiteprincess  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 1,016 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,979 reviews
on October 11, 2016
Perhaps I missed out on an integral part of childhood, but I did not have many fairy tales or books of magical tales in my life as a young boy. Lewis has an uncanny ability to make this readable as an adult and readable to a child. The reflections towards real life (one does not lock himself in a wardrobe!) and the magical life of Narnia (...because that is how beavers behave) are incredibly easy to relate to one another - it's as if you are there, understanding the ways of Narnia, though you've never been (and sadly, never will be).

Notable are the Christian reflections of this tale, of what it's like to go down a path of sin with Edmund as he makes his way through the cold to the witch's castle, having fellowship amongst themselves at the dinner table, and Aslan's ultimate sacrifice, while being a being of immense power, allowed himself to be muzzled, beaten, and killed by the hands of the witch. A Christian myself, I look forward to re-reading the tale to grasp upon Lewis's deeper yet simple stories of the life of children and beings if Narnia. That being said, if you are not Christian, the story does not really reference Christianity much at all, save calling the male children "Sons of Adam" and the female children "Daughters of Eve".
on May 15, 2017
It can be a risk to re-read books that you loved as a child or a teen. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is one of the books that I read countless times as I was growing up. The world of Narnia never got old or boring. Happily, I enjoyed this as much 40+ years later!

Published in 1950, this was the then first book of the Narnia series. A prequel was published later. I read other books in the Narnia series, but this was always my favorite. People will tell you that this is a story about Christianity, a retelling of stories from the Bible, or an allegory. As a child I thought this was a wonderful fairy tale. As an adult, I was able to see the moral or Christian parallels but I chose to ignore them and read this as a fairy tale.

Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy live in London but they are sent to the countryside during WWII to escape the blitz. They are housed with an elderly and wise professor and his strict and intimidating housekeeper in an old mansion. While playing hide and seek on a rainy day, Lucy hides in wardrobe. Behind the fur coats is the land of Narnia. Narnia is ruled by the White Witch and she has made the land "always winter but never Christmas." Narnia is divided into good animals and bad animals who serve the Witch. Lucy is helped by a "good" faun, who protects her from the Witch. The presence of a human in Narnia is threatening to the Witch and all the animals have been told to alert her immediately. Lucy safely returns home and her siblings do not believe her story. Edmund and Lucy then find Narnia together but he meets the White Witch and is put under her spell. On returning home, he lies to the two older siblings and claims Narnia does not exist. Eventually, all four siblings end up in Narnia, though with Edmund sneaking off to see the Witch. With the help of Mr. & Mrs. Beaver, Peter, Susan, and Lucy go to meet Aslan the Lion and together they battle to save Narnia. Each child is given a special task and a magical tool. Aslan makes huge sacrifices to save Edmund. The good and bad animals of the forest do battle and being a fairy tale, there is a happy ending.

This book really sparked my imagination when I was a child. I just love the idea of a secret wardrobe that leads to another world. I still do! The book is dedicated to Mr. Lewis' goddaughter Lucy. It reads as if your kindly godfather was telling you a wonderful story. I love the little asides by the narrator. As a child, I did not realize that the story took place during WWII or that many children were removed from London for their safety. Otherwise, the story is as I remembered and I believe the illustrations are the same. This is a classic for a reason. If you missed it in childhood, read it yourself or share it with a special young person. It was lovely to visit Narnia again!
on August 10, 2016
In the book The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis, there were many aspects that I enjoyed but my favorite part was when Aslan was bringing the stone creatures back to life inside the White Witch's castle. I loved this part because throughout the story the witch was turning animals into stone and towards the end when they all came back to life it was a very exciting and joyful time. I also enjoyed this because it meant there was going to be an adventure soon involving Aslan and all the rescued animals. This part made the book more enjoyable and come closer to a happy ending.

On the other hand, the aspect of this book that I didn't like was when the White Witch came upon two squirrels, their children, two satyrs, a dwarf, and an old fox. They were having a little party before the witch turned them to stone after the fox told her that Father Christmas had come. It was very depressing because the animals had not done anything wrong. They were telling the truth and the witch was mad because her powers were fading.

I believe that The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is a great book for children and adults because it has many fairy tale aspects with a happy ending. The book has many parts that will make you cry and some parts that will make you laugh. I would recommend this book for someone who loves fantasy genre and fictional characters. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is a book that teaches many lessons and promotes many different emotions.
on April 9, 2017
I love this book; read it to the kids (5 & 9 yrs) as soon as it arrived, and they both loved it too. Yes, it's an adaptation and shortened and not written the way C.S. Lewis wrote the book (and there are some interesting things Lucy says that she never said in the original book or film version), but the pictures are beautiful and it captures more or less the gist of the story -- four children tumble through a magic wardrobe into Narnia to help Aslan fight the White Witch. When my kids are older, I'll read them the original, much longer C.S. Lewis story which is of course far superior, but for a picture book, this is wonderful for young children to learn the story.
on January 4, 2017
We started the Narnia series when my son was 4...I was a little worried that it would be a little over his head, and in certain parts, I'm sure it was. But he loved the story, as I did when I was a child. It's a beautiful way to teach morals and theology through a fantastic story. Surely, these books will withstand the test of time. Classics for generations to come...
on August 17, 2016
This Kindle version was perfect for me as I was reading to my 6 and 8 year old grandsons at bedtime with the lights turned down. They loved the book, enjoyed the pictures, and are now waiting impatiently for me to produce the movie for them.
I have ordered the movie and the full paperback set of the complete Tales Of Narnia. They read well themselves and should enjoy reading these books and I know they will be approved by their teachers as they attend a Christian elementary school.
These are classics and it took just one book to hook them into wanting to read the rest. As we read this book together we were able to discuss the biblical parallels which they were able to identify. It was great fun. My adult son, their father, participated as well and was thrilled with their thirst for more.
on January 31, 2017
I needed this book last minute! It arrived quickly, the paperback version was easy to read and it's held up really well overall. There are beautiful illustrations inside too!
review image
on May 16, 2017
I think I enjoyed this book as much as an adult, as I did a teenager. This time through, I was especially taken with the character of Lucy. She is inarticulate when not believed by her siblings. She doesn't have the vocabulary to express herself and bursts into tears at their disbelief.

I was struck by Lewis' line when Father Christmas was handing out weapons to the boys, but denied them to the girls (except a bow and arrows for Susan), for 'battles are ugly when women fight.' From what I've read, battles are ugly no matter who is fighting.

At any case, this is an ageless story, fit for boys and girls, no matter what age they are.
on December 10, 2016
This was described as a picture book and so I assumed it would have less words. I does have beautiful pictures throughout the book. I bought to read to my 3 year old who is extremely into books. Narnia is one of my favorite series and I wanted to share that with. This is obviously a condensed version but my 3 year old has a hard time staying with me for more than a few pages because there is so much story on the pages. They book is beautiful and I do enjoy it, he just needs to be a little older I think.
on July 31, 2016
It is fun adventuerous and exciting everytime I read it the picture will immediately appear in my head, my favourite characters are Lucy and Susan because at first when the two elders saw Lucy keeping on talking about the wardrobe and Mr Tummuus, they thought she went mad and went to tell the owner of the house what had happened. They were surprised that he did not agree with them, then one day, the housekeeper were chasing after them because they broke a window in the house they had no where else to hide but in the room with the wardrobe that Lucy kept on talking about so they ran into the wardrobe but Peter being smart did not close the door of the wardrobe and soon they began to push and suddenly became cold, they felt snow under their feet and they fell onto the cold snow!! The two elders apologised to Lucy for not believing her and ventured into the forest.... I am not going to talk about the story anymore if you want to know more about the story buy the book, and read it.