Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 4, 2012, 5:47:32 PM PDT
Hi, I am torn between these 2 games and have no idea what I want to get. I was hoping maybe I can get some opinions, Thanks!!

Posted on Jun 23, 2012, 12:33:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 23, 2012, 12:56:52 PM PDT
Jason Bean says:
Depends, do you prefer story-driven games or do you like the focus to be on combat and customization? Dragon's Dogma's a bit more accessible with a great, fast-paced combat engine and customization options but little to no real "story" to pull you along. 'Witcher 2' is VERY story heavy with loads of dialogues and branchings. 'Witcher 2' has a complex combat system but no where near as dynamic as 'Dragon's Dogma' (or as fun). That's my opinion anyways, I hope that helps.

Posted on Jun 26, 2012, 7:26:22 PM PDT
M. Mont says:
buy both

Posted on Jun 28, 2012, 11:06:51 AM PDT
prsmooth says:
I have both and love them for different reasons. Jason is on point about what to expect from each game. They are different types of games; however, both are worthy of a purchase.

Posted on Jul 23, 2012, 8:23:21 AM PDT
Spudkitty says:
I love story-heavy video games. Unfortunately, being a console player means they are few and far between. In my opinion, Witcher 2 is the best console story game to come along since Lost Odyssey. And you really get twice the entertainment since you can take different sides in multiple playthroughs. The only complaint I have with Witcher 2 is the poor map system ... both in the game and in the guide.

Posted on Aug 4, 2012, 9:26:08 PM PDT
John Paul says:
I'd have to say Witcher 2. When I first bought Dragon's Dogma it absolutely loved it. I played it incessantly for the first while, but after I was about 30 hours in tedium set in because there is no fast travel. The world is huge and sometimes you have to walk reeeeally far to get to your objective. Dragon's Dogma is a very fun game, but one that has a couple of flaws that I found so glaring that I was never able to muster up the energy to finish it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012, 10:26:59 AM PDT
S. Donovan says:
I have played both; and I was torn just as you are. Since I knew that both games would be enjoyable, I waited until the prices dropped and bought both. They might share similar story lines, but they are DRASTICALLY different otherwise.

Considering your original post was months ago, I won't ramble on. If anyone is reading this bc they are sitting on the fence, I would urge you to consider buying both. I'm picky about several things; so I always watch the gameplay on You Tube before making a final decision.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012, 10:29:31 AM PDT
S. Donovan says:
There is fast travel in DD, but you cannot take advantage of it in the first game. You are actually required to finish that before you can buy the stones necessary to fast travel in the DD world. But I agree with your principle; it was tedious to go everywhere being forced to walk, shortcuts notwithstanding.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012, 12:38:28 PM PDT
O. Johnson says:
Actually I have a question? Do you need to have purchased Witcher 2 or is the Enhanced Edition the same game with additional content? I've waited off on this game because I only want what is considered a GOTY with everything included...I stop buying first releases after buying games like Skyrim, Fallout, etc and instead of paying for the same games in 'pieces' (kind of a waste of money) I'd rather purchase games after the bug fixes are corrected and the entire set of DLC's are included..Thanks For Any Info! BTW: Dragon's Dogma is AWESOME! I can't wait til the next release! 99% the games I buy are RPG's!

Posted on Sep 8, 2012, 8:00:17 AM PDT
Kaiselius says:
Yes, the "enhanced edition" is petty much The Witcher 2 GOTY.
As for which to choose, Witcher 2 is better in almost every way other than character customization. There are a lot of minor and major changes to The Witcher's storyline depending on your choices, but in Dragon's Dogma, there are a small handful of minor changes but regardless of the two major choices near the tail end of the game, neither really changes the course of the game very much.
Other than some patches, you have access to everything The Witcher 2 has to offer without further downloading or micro transactions. Meanwhile Dragon's Dogma has around a hundred quests on disk that are locked out till you pay capcom an additional fee to access, in addition to any other DLC capcom has produced since I played DD on release.
With the Witcher most enemies, while maybe not remaining a deadly threat, will never turn into mooks you can just bowl over mindlessly(assuming you don't turn the difficulty down to easy). DD after you start getting up in level, you will just bowl over pretty much every normal enemy in one or two blows, and really multiple enemies per strike. Not even the "boss" monsters will withstand your assaults for more than 4-5 minutes, probably less(the exception being the Drake and it's recolors, but since you can get special upgrades to your equipment by simply defeating them, that's kind of understandable).
Here is a weak point for the Witcher, combat pretty much remains the same through the whole game, you can mix things up a bit with magic, traps, and bombs, but for the most part you will be using one or your two swords to dispatch enemies with magic, traps, and bombs being used to give you a little bit of breathing room. Meanwhile in DD, your combat can change fairly drastically depending on the vocation you choose. From defensive sword and shield combat, less damage but quicker strikes of daggers, slow but obsurdly powerful blows of large two handed weapons, well rounded mages who can easily cast offensive and defensive spells, heavy, wide reaching spells of battlemages, precision shots of an archer, and classes that combine two or more abilities of the other classes.
Another place where DD excels, customization, you can create characters varying from towering elderly mounds of flab to minuscule musclebound preteens and everything in between. In addition you usually have access to multiple pieces or armor, robes, and various other articles of clothing to choose from, each level to choose from so you will never find yourself forced into a single outfit because it's the "best, but rather you can mix and match for aesthetic reasons in addition to stats. With Witcher, you will pretty much be going with whatever has the best stats, luckily most outfits and weapons are pretty similar looking anyways.
DD also has allies that can aid you in combat, one you can completely customize from the ground up plus 2 that will either be pre-generated or created by other players. Other than not being able to create your entire party, the only downside is that they will quickly make you want to murder them by spouting the same small handful of phrases over, and over, and over, AND OVER again during your journeys. In Witcher will will, for the most part, be going solo.
DD's world is fairly open and you have access to petty much every area from the get go. Though the enemies in some of those areas will be more than happy to stomp your face into the mud if you happen to stray there before your level is high enough. Witcher's is fairly limited. You get access to a single area per chapter, featuring a town or some other populated location with a larger surrounding wilderness to explore. These wilderness areas are for the most part branching and winding paths that can cross and recross each other with a handful of more open areas scattered about.
Witcher's story is pretty deep and will constantly having you question the choices you make. DD's is pretty minimalistic with very few actual choices.

Posted on Dec 31, 2012, 8:39:12 PM PST
Ragnok says:
The Witcher 2 without hesitation! If you are 17 or older the two experiences cant be compared. DD is an average hack and slash with decent combat and a not existent plot, while the Witcher 2 is an adult game with a wonderfully complex storyline and very good gameplay. The only things DD has over the Witcher 2 is 1) being open world (even though a very "limited" open world, when compared to Skyrim) and 2) character customization. The Witcher 2 wins everything else, graphics, story, art direction, voice over.
Pick up the Witcher 2, you wont regret it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2013, 6:47:06 AM PST
S. O'connor says:
I have a question for you about this game. Now, I guess you could consider me a casual gamer. Actually I don't really know where I fall into these days as the definition of core/casual are being blurred so much. But I wanted to find out if I play this game on easy, if the combat is easy but the challenge of the fights are still a good challenge and not just unnecessarily hard?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  11
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Jun 4, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 31, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

This discussion is about