Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 16 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 19 reviews
on March 18, 2013
I enjoy a nice romance novel, sometimes though I would like to read a romance with a little more action. Hugging and kissing is fine and all, but I would like a little heavier plotline. I was recently talking with a friend about this and she immediately recommended With Cruel Intent by Dennis F. Larsen. This book has it all, action, romance, comedy and it is set in my favorite place, the South. In short, this book is a combination of all of my favorite things.

With Cruel Intent is about Blanche Delaney, a librarian who moves to the South for a change of scenery. She moves into a Bed and Breakfast and immediately meets a cast of interesting characters. Blanche finds herself to be the object of affection for more than one man. The action comes in when one of the town's tycoons is found dead. This is southern fiction at its finest. The characters are colorful, the wit is razor sharp and the characters are engaging. The story is nicely paced, with no boring spots. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes romantic thrillers. I will be looking for more good things from Dennis F. Larsen in the future!
on March 18, 2013
Kudos Mr. Larsen you succeeded in making me ignore my two favorite tv shows. They were on but I couldn't put my kindle down! With Cruel Intent is an amazing debut novel in the mystery genre. I am so glad I chanced upon this book, it was well written and I loved the "afterword" when you skillfully tied up all loose ends.I may not be so enchanted when I next watch the tv shows, they both have confusing plots and I'm sure next week I will be "lost". I look forward to more books by Dennis Larsen. The characters were very real,some of the phonetics in the dialog were little off, but other than that, well done!
on March 22, 2013
First I would like to say I love the cover. It is very intriguing and inviting. The book itself completes it. It is very well written with a good plot and really good character development. The author flawlessly inserted the southern dialect into the book. So as i was reading I was hearing it with a southern drawl. I enjoyed the different twists and turns. The only thing I found that could use improvement was changing the inner monologue from quotes to italics. But that is nothing major, it just breaks up the reading and makes it a bit smoother. I definitely recommend this to all genres of readers.
on March 14, 2013
This entertaining romance derives much of its pleasure in Blanche's interaction with her three suitors. Jasper is by far the most entertaining and heroic character, the criminology student is kind and adorable. To say the novel works on stereotypes is kinda true, but an updated version of them. The good guys are good guys and the bad are bad. In a novel about the south with a main character named Blanche, what else could you expect. It does have a crime thriller aspect to it as well, which sits just a little less than even with the romance. The novel has several tricks, and for $1 it's worth a read.
on March 16, 2013
With Cruel Intent is a rich tapestry full of fully developed southern small town characters. There is a vein of romance mixed with a crime thriller mixed in. I found myself more and more interested in Blanche and what made her tick. Her character is inviting. No major epiphanies in this one, but a darn good read that will appeal to a wide audience.
on August 1, 2013
Although I liked the story, it was difficult to get beyond all the mistakes in punctuation, spelling and word choice. What author or editor confuses populous and populace, affect and effect, epitaph and epithet, isle and aisle, guffaw and gaffe, to name a few? I am from Georgia and found the dialect very annoying.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 15, 2013
Dennis Larsen has created a fairly likable set of characters in Blanche, Seymour, Marcus, and Beverly and The Stalker. The story moved well and well-written dialogue kept my interest. My only 'nitpicking' with the book was the raft of mistakes in spelling and grammar. I did try and contact Mr. Larsen privately through Facebook because I don't like to share the mistakes in public, but I am certain he didn't receive it.

Complement and compliment are different and they are used incorrectly in the book.

Rational/rationale - using rationale you make a rational decision.

I saw Its' at one time -that is not even a word!

Populous was used instead of Populace.

One sentence read, "sexual epitaph...' Epitaph is something written on a grave, I am pretty sure it is innuendo.

Site - a place, sight - something seen.

Guffaw was used and I am sure it was meant to be gaffe.

Sunday is Sundae.

"Pig didn't fair..." should be 'fare'.

You need legal counsel, not council.

You go down a chute, not a shoot.

The old man bellowed, not bellered.

I think one person was referring to 'ma'am', not mum.

You eke out a living. You might eek if you see a mouse.

Natalie went by her boss' office, not bosses office (only one boss)

The ether went into effect not affect.

There were several run on sentences too.

These all prevented me from giving this book a solid 4.
on May 4, 2013
I enjoyed this story from start to finish. Being from South Georgia, the setting was a nice bonus. Good story line and plot with a satisfying ending. I will look for more books by this author.
on August 22, 2013
This book kept me into wanting to keep reading it! Got to busy with summer and was unable to keep reading more than a few pages at a time, was able to pickup like I was reading it every day! GREAT BOOK KEEP IT UP SIR DENNIS!!
on March 18, 2013
I really enjoyed reading this book. If you're looking for a good romantic novel, this is definitely what your looking for. I'm extremely glad I purchased this book.