Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now ToyHW17_gno
Customer Discussions > Sony Playstation 3 160GB System forum

Without Price Cut "PS3 Will Outsell Xbox 360"

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 80 posts in this discussion
Posted on Sep 8, 2011, 5:40:36 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 8, 2011, 5:42:39 AM PDT
Of course you are done. You cannot ever admit a mistake on your part. You never admitted to being wrong about the Wii selling more software than the ps3. In this thread you said the Wii isn't selling well, yet it is actually outselling the 360 and is less than a million behind the ps3... instead of admitting you were wrong about Wii sales you are going to deflect and cry. We can have an adult discussion if you would just grow up a bit. You claimed the Wii wasn't selling well..... you are WRONG. It is selling poorly compared to previous years, but the Wii is still running with the ps3 and beating out the 360 in total sales this year. Your statement was wrong, it is the simple.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2011, 3:08:25 AM PDT
Vylsith says:
The adult thing to do is put you on ignore. The childish thing to do would be to continue the circular argument that isn't going anywhere. You came here to flame PS3 users. You succeeded. Congratulations on acting like a child. I won't say I've been the better man this whole conversation, but right now I will be. Sorry, but you'll have to find someone else to flame. =( I know, you'll get over it though. Have fun with your Wii.

Posted on Sep 9, 2011, 5:33:04 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 9, 2011, 5:37:58 AM PDT
Exactly. You cannot admit an error on your part. You posted the Wii wasn't selling, but yet posted about how great the ps3 is selling. The difference between the two is 8.6%. Your assessemnt was flat out wrong. But no, you simply cannot accept being wrong, so you deflect and cry.

Fact; the Wii in 2011 is only 8.5% behind the ps3 in sales and is ahead of the 360. It isn't selling poorly. You were wrong, not admitting a mistake doesn't make you an adult, it does the opposite.

Also why would I flame ps3 users when it is my favorite console this generation? I rated Killzone 2 and Uncharted 2 perfect 5 stars. Posting facts doesn't make me a hater. It means I am unbiased and honest. Case in point, if the Wii is selling poorly this year, so is the ps3 and 360, based on hardcore sales data.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2011, 9:44:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 9, 2011, 10:17:17 PM PDT
Vylsith says:
Anyone who's seriously going to argue that the Wii appeals to mature core gamers is out of his mind or trolling. You're obviously trolling so I'm obviously going to ignore you. The Wii is selling poorly compared to how well it was selling previously, at an almost 2:1 ratio of the other consoles worldwide. The market share has plummeted for the Wii recently and continues to dive, which is why Nintendo is pushing to get the Wii U released so much earlier than the other consoles' successors.

I don't hate Nintendo and I don't feel badly towards the Wii. I did lose some respect for Nintendo because of all the broken promises being made to the Nintendo core that actually bought the Wii. I also understand that it wasn't all Nintendo's fault. Their console simply didn't interest the core. The same way that Kinect really doesn't interest the core. The same way the Power Glove and the Power Pad really didn't interest the core. The same way that the PS Eye never really interested the core. I could continue, but I think you get the idea. Core gaming involves a controller, mountain dew, and pizza. It's not just my opinion, it's how the core community has reacted to motion controls time and time again in the past. They want a controller or a mouse and keyboard. Period. There's no point in arguing it. The demographics and the lack of core support for the Wii prove it. The only games that actually sell well on the Wii are party games, fitness games, and first party exclusives.

In the end you're taking me out of context and you're arguing with anyone who tries to defend the PS3 against an obvious 360 fanboy OP. I'm not telling you to go all PS3 fanboy on him, but you seriously need to get over this anti PS3 kick. You may not actually feel the way that you post, but it's overdone. You come off like a Sony hater. There's great content on all of the consoles and there's no reason why one person shouldn't enjoy another console as much as I enjoy the PS3. There's a lot less content for mature gamers on the Wii, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have it's reason for existence in this gen. It fills a role that needed to be filled badly and that wasn't being occupied by other consoles. Children really have very little to play on the PS3 and 360. The Wii gave them an escape and it worked wonders. People who tend to shy away from most mature core games found that some light gaming in social situations can be a lot of fun. It's like taking out a board game when there's company. There's definitely a market for that, but you can't expect it to be as steady as the core gaming community that will always buy consoles and games. So yes, Nintendo did do well this generation. No, the Wii really doesn't belong in the same threads as the PS3 and 360. The core majority has already given their opinion on the Wii in their lack of support for core releases on the Wii.

Also, nice job of backpedaling in the JRPG post. Stating that the Wii and the 360 have better RPGs this gen than the PS3 at first, and then stating that they're equal later. It's obvious you aren't huge on the PS3. You might like Uncharted and a few other exclusives, but you definitely feel a little bit of bitterness towards Sony for one reason or another. That's your own personal thing and you're free to feel it. We're in the PS3 forums though, not the 360 and Wii forums. All you're doing here is trolling.

Posted on Sep 10, 2011, 4:57:16 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 10, 2011, 5:01:23 AM PDT
So you admit, you were wrong than, the Wii is selling well. You could have said so in a lot fewer words. You didn't have to write a silly novel nobody cares about.

Also you said the market share has plummeted for Nintendo... yet another incorrect statement. Nintendo has a 35 million lead, Sony made up 800k, making it a 34.2 million lead.... how is their market share plummeting? It isn't. Nintendo won this generation by a landslide and despite having a 'dead' console they still compete perfect fine. The fact a dead console can compete with the ps3 speaks volumes about what occurred this generation. OH and the ps3 does have a poor rpg lineup, the 360 does have a superior rpg lineup with Blue Dragon, Vesperia, Mass Effect and Odyssey.

Finally, the Wii 100% without a doubt appeals to core gamers who are not biased. Galaxy, NSMB, DKCR, Mad World, Monster Hunter, Xenoblade Chronicles and many, many, many more great games are available for the console. There is no question the Wii appears to core gamers, for those willing to give it a try, which you are not because Sony didn't make the console.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2011, 1:00:00 PM PDT
Vylsith says:
It's not overly hard to read the explanation to my argument. Obviously the Wii isn't selling horribly, however when you look at market share it creates a really ugly picture for the Wii's future which is why Nintendo is going forward with a new console so early in this generation. Unless you seriously believe that Nintendo is going to fully support the Wii and the Wii U to which I say... you're very naive. They'd have to hire twice as many developers for that to be a possibility. I don't see it happening. The happy scenario would be if Nintendo put half of their team on the Wii and the other half on the Wii U, but you can be sure that (just like Kinect) Nintendo will put most of their team of the Wii U for much of the forseeable future, making Wii all but dead in the water except for third party support (aka shovelware).

Market share is based off percent. When one console sees a major decrease in sales while another sees a major increase in sales, that means the market share is affected drastically even though the console totals may not appear changed. Take a quick look at market share chart and see for yourself. Wii has lost a ton of market share in a short time (something that you'll also see mentioned by many industry analysts, so you might want to stop pretending it didn't happen).

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/33479/Analyst_Xbox_360_To_Outsell_Wii_On_12Month_Basis_In_US.php

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2011/01/07/is-the-era-of-nintendo-wii-leadership-coming-to-an-end/

I can find more if you'd like. The Wii take a huge hit over the last year and a half. It's not the giant it once was and it's still dropping fast. The PS3 and 360 on the other hand are both seeing a rise in market share. It's a bad sign for Nintendo and one that doesn't show any signs of stopping which is why I made the statement it's selling poorly. Not that it's literally not selling many consoles, but that it's sales are dropping fast. It's a niche market and it's starting to dry up. You can see it in both Kinect and Wii sales. Your opinion on RPGs isn't shared by others and again your backtracking since you just stated in the other thread that the consoles are on par. You're still trolling and you're still lying about liking the PS3 more. You obviously don't based off your posts that seem to discredit the PS3 in any way you possibly can. You ain't got to lie to kick it man. Just be yourself and admit your dislike for the PS3.

Except that core gamers don't buy core games for the Wii which is why 3rd party developers all but left the Wii to shovelware and first party exclusives. You can argue that it didn't happen all you'd like, but with a few exceptions (most of which you just named) 3rd party developers won't touch the Wii. The only games that sell well for the Wii are first party exclusives and casual games. I can link the best selling games on the Wii if you'd like? They all agree with me. Get over it. Core gamers don't have a lot of interest in the Wii. They may buy the franchise titles like Zelda and Mario, but they sure as hell didn't buy Madworld which is why you rarely see developers come out with core titles on the Wii. Should I list the core titles on the PS3 and 360 and compare? I think we already know the outcome. This is a stupid debate and centers around YOUR inability to admit that you're wrong. Stop being a hypocrite and just admit that the Wii does not have a strong core community. It simply doesn't.

Posted on Sep 11, 2011, 3:57:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 11, 2011, 3:57:55 PM PDT
"Obviously the Wii isn't selling horribly"

Exactly, thanks for FINALLY admitting you were wrong. See it wasn't that hard. Also Nintendo doesn't have to support the Wii anymore, they won the generation. It is over, Nintendo won, end of story. Sony will never make up the 35 million gap.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2011, 7:52:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 11, 2011, 8:02:41 PM PDT
Vylsith says:
Your inability to comprehend what was obviously inferred in my post isn't a fault of mine. I was wrong to believe you were intelligent enough to understand simple inferences. Happy now? I just admitted I was wrong.

Nintendo did do very well this generation. Again, I wouldn't use the term win since it's pretty much useless. I do think that Nintendo is going to come to regret a lot of the decisions they made this generation with the Wii U and the 3DS. The 3DS simply isn't selling well at all. I doubt the Wii U even has a chance against the PS3 and 360. The Wii obviously needed to be replaced a first, but they're replacing it with something that's supposedly better than the PS3 and 360. Bad choice. Keep it cheap and add a lot more interest for players who like controllers. Don't make developers feel that they have to use the motion controls. That right there was the main reason the Wii failed with the hardcore this generation. Motion control should be an option, not mandatory. Obviously the Wii U fixes this, but Nintendo has a long way to go if they want to interest the core again.

I'd say they hurt themselves irreparably this gen with the Wii. The DS, on the other hand, was one of the best things that ever came out of Nintendo. The 3DS was an attempt at innovation that fell flat. 3D causes headaches and probably always will. Bad idea. Again, they're trying to have all the developers use 3D and again it should be an option. Gamers like options and giving them a different way to play is encouraged so long as it doesn't affect the core gameplay. Forcing options on gamers is not a good idea. That's something both Nintendo and Microsoft are going to have to learn pretty soon. Having a version of the 3DS that has 3D and another that doesn't have 3D (obviously it would require a different name) would be a great idea on Nintendo's part. You can turn 3D off on the 3DS, but they advertise the 3D so heavily and don't even mention that the 3D can be disabled. A lot of people are turned off to 3D because of the nausea and headaches it can induce. It's a great option to people who aren't bothered by it, but it should definitely not be the main form of gameplay. There's too many people who are simply completely turned off by it (me included).

Just to clarify, when I say they hurt themselves irreparably with the Wii (since I know you won't understand this without an explanation) I mean that Nintendo lost most of their core base. Now that they're trying to regain their core base with the Wii U it's likely to be a very difficult, and very uphill battle for Nintendo. They might pull out ahead, but the Wii U will not be the walk in the park that the Wii was. If they want it they'll have to fight for it, and Nintendo doesn't have close to the assets that Microsoft and Sony have. They know it too. They can't sell their console at a loss for half the generation and rely on their other products to keep them afloat until it pays off (like Sony and too a lesser degree Microsoft). If the 3DS and the Wii U fail? It'll spell disaster for Nintendo. The future is never obvious, and we'll have to wait and see what happens. I'd say it's far too easy to say they won this generation. What may be called a victory today, can easily become the seeds of defeat tomorrow. So yes, Nintendo did outsell the PS3 and the 360 so far this gen (it's not over yet), but that doesn't mean Nintendo did well this generation. It simply means it sold well. If the core comes back and Nintendo continues to push out hits for casuals and the core, then Nintendo won. If the core doesn't come back and the Wii U fails just like the 3DS is in the process of failing right now (3rd party developers are abandoning it right and left currently stating that they're waiting for the 3DS to sell well before developing any more games for it) then they definitely lost this generation even if they won in sales. Too early to say.

How a company ends a console generation is far more important than how a company begins a console generation. Regardless of how well it did at the beginning, the Wii is almost definitely in a worse position than the other 2 consoles right now. The Wii U has to change that or Nintendo is looking at a rough future.

Posted on Sep 11, 2011, 10:55:24 PM PDT
...And those who would call themselves Gamers Care about Finances of a company that doesn't pay you because ?

Posted on Sep 11, 2011, 11:15:34 PM PDT
Waldo says:
Pressed "stopped tracking this discussion", as of NOW! Should have done it sooner! You guys are beating this to death like two lil girls! Get over it already!

Posted on Sep 12, 2011, 6:33:06 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 12, 2011, 6:42:27 AM PDT
"Nintendo did do very well this generation."

Yes they did, in fact they won this generation by selling the most hardware, selling the most software and by having the highest profit margins. Seriously though, thanks for finally admitting you were wrong. It took forever and you did it in a round about way, but still something is better than nothing.

You were wrong when you said the ps3 sold more software, it didn't. Nintendo sold more.

You wre wrong when you said the Wii is selling poorly, it isn't. It is running with the ps3 and so far in 2011 is ahead of the 360.

Congrats on finally owning up to being wrong.

Posted on Sep 12, 2011, 6:44:12 AM PDT
"...And those who would call themselves Gamers Care about Finances of a company that doesn't pay you because ? "

I actually picked up Nintendo stock a few weeks ago. Picked it up at $18 a share, it sits around $22 right now. I like their stock, it has a bright future given their control over both the home console and mobile console markets, plus it pays a good dividend.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2011, 8:33:14 AM PDT
Not that this is the forum for business and investing advice, but this is the time to buy Nintendo stock. It will be a rough ride, because investers are going to expect the innevitable dip in profitability as less people purchase the Wii in anticipation of the WiiU. The announcement of a new system drove stock prices down and they should rebound big time next year. Just don't hold on too long if the launch is not great. The stock will get an immediate bump from the new system regardless, but immediately after that it will actualize around how succesful the WiiU's launch actually was.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2011, 8:49:54 AM PDT
Vylsith says:
Apparently your reading skills still haven't gotten any better. Congratulations on ignoring half my post and missing the entire point of my argument.

You were wrong when you said Sony was desperate. Obviously the best selling console currently is far from desperate. They lowered the price because they can, not because they needed to. Anyone with half a brain could figure that one out. Of course, you're blinded by Sony rage so I shouldn't be overly surprised.

You were wrong when you said Nintendo and the PS3 share demographics. I proved over and over again they do not, but you still insist the data means nothing.

Own up to it. There's no point in continuing this since the conversation keeps going in circles. Have fun Sony hater.

Posted on Sep 12, 2011, 9:10:39 AM PDT
So who sold the most software again? LOL. Also Sony is 100% desperate. They are doing everythign they can to place 2nd......

Posted on Sep 12, 2011, 4:57:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 12, 2011, 4:58:23 PM PDT
Cos says:
"They lowered the price because they can, not because they needed to. Anyone with half a brain could figure that one out. Of course, you're blinded by Sony rage so I shouldn't be overly surprised."

I would not use the word desparate. They are dominating most of the market outside the US. the problem is that they are getting the a$$ handed to them in the US, which is where a majority of the software sales come from. It was a smart business decision to lower the price becuase it will increase its market share in the U.S. I think that the "Needed" to for the US and just didn't do it becuase they can.

Posted on Sep 12, 2011, 5:04:38 PM PDT
?? says:
Please explain the desperation of Sony to me Christopher? I mean in all honesty Microsoft has been playing the game real aggresive this gamming generation not Sony.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2011, 10:23:10 AM PDT
"What would a casual gamer need with a quad core CPU and GPU?"

WHat do you mean. Sure, if I were only buying a console for casual gaming I wouldn't need this. Like I said in a previous post, though, I believe that the console to win the next gen is going to recognize that most families have both casual and core gamers and will offer a system to appeal to both. You're right, a casual gamer does not need those specs. But, a kid does not need my 60-inch television and home theater set up to watch Yo Gaba Gaba either. Doesn't mean that I won't let them watch Nickelodeon on the living room television and also watch blurays and football at other times. Even if the console that appeals to everyone costs a little more than a casual system would, it should still be a success. After all, there is no reason why the PS3 CAN'T offer casual experiences to the gamers who want them. And it would be a terrible business decision for them to refuse to do so.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2011, 10:35:40 AM PDT
Vylsith says:
The PS3, the PSP, and the Move have also seen a huge increase in sales since their release. They're all making money and even their software has seen an increase in sales lately. That makes them desperate how? Because they lowered the price on their console 2 years after another price decrease? The PS2 decreased in price as well. In fact it initially sold at $300 and now it costs $99. Sony must have been desperate with the PS2 to decrease the cost of the PS2 by that much. I mean, it's the best selling console in history and all, but how desperate can they get. Nintendo lowered the price of the Wii to $150, definitely a desperate move by a company on the brink of disaster. This is really getting old. Stop the trolling already.

Let's look at Nintendo real fast. The Wii is $150, coming down from $299 at release. The 3DS isn't selling well. Their stock plummeted over the last 2 years. They're releasing a new console well before the competition. At a first glance it could easily be said that Nintendo is desperate. Does that mean they are desperate? Who knows. It's absolutely hilarious to say that the company that's currently leading the industry is desperate though. Nintendo was at the top, now they're not. Sony's currently doing better than Microsoft or Nintendo. That could change, who knows. The industry is far from predictable. Why not simply let Sony enjoy their current success and stop making ridiculous fanboy statements like "Sony is desperate." They aren't, anyone with half a brain can easily figure that out.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2011, 10:53:18 AM PDT
Vylsith says:
There was obviously some reason behind the price decrease. I wasn't implying that they simply did it on a whim. There's a point where price meets demand. If you hit that point, you make more money. That's what Sony's obviously trying to do here. I wouldn't agree at all that the US leads in software sales. Europe buys a ton of software as well as can easily be seen by...

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/data/bizdataps3soft_sale_e.html
Sony sold 147.9 million games last year. It's obviously doing pretty well even with Europe being it's main consumer. People overestimate the effect that the US has on the industry. It's obviously a huge market and comprises probably close to 35-40% of it. Then again Europe is about as big. At least when we look at home consoles. Japan plays a much bigger role in the handheld industry.

The 360 does see higher sales for shooters, but the PS3 has more exclusives, and most of them sell pretty well for the PS3. So in the end, it all adds up. While Sony would undoubtedly like more of the US market, it's definitely not doing poorly by any means. Neither are they even close to desperate. Christopher just likes to troll me since he has nothing better to do.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2011, 10:58:44 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 13, 2011, 11:00:03 AM PDT
Vylsith says:
I wasn't arguing that it couldn't appeal to the casual gamers as well as the core gamers.

To start with, this was in response to someone who said that Sony is going to be targetting the casual crowd mainly next generation. They undoubtedly are not, this can be confirmed both through the specs of the Vita (which is a next generation handheld) and through statements made from Sony specifically citing the core gamers as their main target. If a company says they're going to make core gamers the target of the device, then the device will probably be targeted at core gamers. It's a pretty safe assumption...

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Vita-Targets-Core-Gamers-Using-Same-Philosophy-as-Original-PSP-219586.shtml

"Sony President and CEO Jack Tretton says the PS Vita will be targeting the core gaming market segment once the handheld device goes on sale later this year. When asked why, he simply replied that "if he had to get one, he'd rather it be the gamer segment, because the mom may not buy the same amount of games."

Posted on Sep 13, 2011, 11:01:48 AM PDT
"The Wii is $150, coming down from $299 at release."

The Wii launched at $250, not $300. Yet ANOTHER lie. Seriously, get your facts straight.

Posted on Sep 13, 2011, 11:30:57 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 13, 2011, 11:33:26 AM PDT
" Nintendo was at the top, now they're not. Sony's currently doing better than Microsoft or Nintendo. "

Another lie. Nintendo is still on top in 2011. The Wii is 2nd in home consoles in 2011. The DS is first in mobile consoles and the 3DS is third. The top software charts in 2011 are COVERED with Wii and DS games. Nintendo overall still had the best year in 2011. The gap tightened for sure, but make no mistakes who won 2011, it was Nintendo. Don't believe me? Go check out the top selling software this year.

http://technorati.com/entertainment/gaming/article/the-5-best-selling-video-games/

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2011, 11:56:40 AM PDT
Vylsith says:
"Lie: a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive; an intentional untruth; a falsehood."

If I was intentionally attempting to deceive it would've been a lie. I wasn't. You've got some major issues there and nerdraging on the internet isn't going to fix them. If I seriously emotionally scarred you in some way I apologize, but you're really going a little overboard here.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2011, 12:21:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 13, 2011, 12:26:25 PM PDT
Vylsith says:
Both the PSP and the PS3 have increased in sales since launch by a huge percentage. Both the DS and the Wii have decreased in sales since launch, by a huge percentage.

http://www.thenational.ae/thenationalconversation/industry-insights/energy/nintendo-needs-a-new-strategy-fast-otherwise-it-might-be-game-over?pageCount=0

"On July 29 its stock price tumbled by 20 per cent, wiping off billions of dollars of market value. It would have sunk further had the Tokyo Stock Exchange not halted trading in its shares.

That Nintendo Armageddon came a day after it warned it would miss its profit forecast by ¥90 billion (Dh4.31bn), leaving net income at an almost 30-year low as it slashed the price of its new 3D handheld DS in a bid to boost sales of a machine it had hoped would provide new impetus to profit growth."

I'm honestly confused as to how anyone could say that Nintendo is doing well right now... They've seen a huge decrease in profits for the last year and a half, and it's the downward spiral still hasn't stopped. Nintendo is not in a very good position. I'd say both Sony and Microsoft are doing better than Nintendo right now, and that belief is held by industry analysts and investors as well.

"Analysts have cut their full-year operating profit forecasts for Nintendo by an average of 45 percent in the past 30 days and the stock is now trading at 45 times its estimated forward 12-month earnings, according to Thomson Reuters data."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/09/13/us-nintendo-idUSTRE78C0PF20110913

There's plenty more out there if you care to look. You won't find many articles about how Nintendo is predicted to have a good 2011 though... Nintendo's in a really bad situation right now, while Sony and Microsoft are seeing a growth surge. I'm having a hard time seeing how Nintendo is first in the industry...
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  10
Total posts:  80
Initial post:  Aug 31, 2011
Latest post:  Sep 23, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

This discussion is about