Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Shop Popular Services MeBeforeYou MeBeforeYou MeBeforeYou  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl National Bike Month on Amazon toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 15 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 17 reviews
on July 13, 2013
All I can say is - WOW. This blu-ray blows all other versions of these two cult classics out of the water. Wizard is probably my favorite Lewis movie. It's so "out there" that you won't believe it exists. The HD presentation is as clear as a bell and surpassed all my expectations. At this low price, it almost seems like they're giving it away. Come on that's $4.50 a movie. Buy it. Buy two and give one away to your mother-in-law for Christmas!
on August 5, 2012
I've been a fan of both these films for years and owened them on multiple formats and can honestly say both films have never looked better, as a matter of fact these films shouldn't look this good considering the time period and budget they were filmed for. both still have minimal print damage and cigaret burns, but does not detract from the enjoyment of the films, just gives it that grindhouse feel. both have great commentarys and a H.G. Lewis trailer gallery and poster gallery. getting both these films for under $10 is a steal, highestpossible recomendation. you can throw away your dvd's now.
on November 20, 2012
For what it's worth, this is probably the absolute best these films will ever look. If you're searching for reference quality images, you probably don't know anything about Hershell Gordon Lewis or his films and you're better off looking elsewhere
on July 20, 2016
Late 60s horror movies that gave us the MPAA ratings.
on October 20, 2015
I remember renting wizard of Gore on vhs as a kid a loved it.... Now not as much as Gore Gore girls ....a must see
on February 15, 2017
awsome
on February 20, 2014
I didn't pay any attention to the distributor before buying these. When I slide the dvd in my machine and up popped "Something Weird Video" I thought, 'Oh no!' But as bad as some of my prior experience with SWV has been these weren't terrible!

These are decent transfers. There are still the ocassional streaks and such.
As for the content; both use buckets of guts either shown in close-up while in a container or piled on the actor. (Puking guts??Really!?)

The Wizard of Gore has Judy Cler doing the only good acting. That's beside the fact she's beautiful. The magician is one of those people you don't want to talk to, because they always talk as if they are on stage with no microphone. The effects are poor even for 1970. Other than the gore and stiff acting there is no real violence, no sex, no nudity, and no language abuse here.

The Gore Gore Girls has the same HG Lewis gore, but this one is centered around strip clubs. The great Henny Youngman plays the owner of a chain of clubs and speaks in one liners he's famous for. I actually felt this movie was not only watchable, but I will eventually re-watch it! And not because of all the nudity. This was done with a sly tongue-in-cheek which helped. There is plenty of nudity, but no sex. Again lots of gore, no real violence, and no offensive language.

For the price I will recommend this double feature. Hmmm, there's a Casablance/African Queen double feature blue-ray for the same price!
on May 20, 2013
I love these movies and the blu ray transfer is awesome The Wizard of Gore is my favorite of the two.
on June 28, 2014
Obviously, you have to be a fan of Herschell Gordon Lewis' work to appreciate these movies.

Honestly, I didn't know what to expect when I started to watch this double feature. Let's just say I was surprised but not impressed. The nicest thing I can say after viewing each movie is that they are definitely curio pieces from a bygone era rather than anything exceptional in the field of horror. The transfer quality of both is marginal (the sound features hissing, the film is marred with lines and various other anomalies that streak across the screen from time to time). The stories in both movies are weak; they both follow the same formula of instantly forgettable scenes followed by a killing, another unremarkable scene, a killing, et cetera. The acting is consistently bad; all the characters/actors have a tendency to yell their lines and gesture awkwardly. The dialog is inane. In the first movie, the magician Montag spends most of his screen time pontificating in a pompous manner, to the point that he repeats his dialog several times (and it wasn't of interest the first time he said it). At no point is either of these movies horrifying. The gore might have been impressive 44 years ago but today it just looks like the animal guts they originally used (sheep to be exact). As an example of early "splatter" flicks they might be of some interest. As entertainment, they are sorely lacking. I was uniformly unimpressed with both, but at least The Gore Gore Girls had an appearance by Henny Youngman to up the novelty aspect. (This film is still banned in Australia, although one wonders why, unless boring tripe is a crime there.) Quite honestly, neither is gory enough to deserve the title of a "gore" flick. There's just way too much yapping and not enough payoff to justify sitting through both. I kept watching the clock thinking surely they must be over soon. This was a long-long-long 175 minutes that I can't get back.

They were interesting to watch once, to satisfy my curiosity, but nothing I'd care to keep to watch again.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 13, 2016
I expected better than this. Held no interest for me whatsoever. Very amateurish and not in a good way!