Truck Reviews HPC Spring Reading Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on April 16, 2018
The Oz series by L. Frank Baum was my favorite as a child. Now I'm reading them in order to my grandson. We started when he was just two with the Wizard of Oz, which he loved, and which we read twice. We never finished the second book in the series, The Land of Oz. It's a bit "talkier" than the others, and he had trouble following it. So we're saving that one until he's a bit older and will appreciate the surprise ending. But, after that, we simply moved on to the third, fourth and now fifth books, and, without a doubt, they're all masterpieces of children's literature. They are just so inventive, so much fun and so surprising at times. His eyes light up when we talk about the books and the characters in them. Dorothy, the Wizard, Ozma and the rest are as real to him (and to me) as any friends. He's always, always ready to read a chapter of an Oz book with me! I'm not sure which one of us enjoys them more ...
3 people found this helpful
on November 24, 2017
Read it to the kids, 1-2 chapters a night. We got through the book quickly, but the kids asked many questions. What a fantastic book, this specific edition didn't have any of the updates, which was exactly what i was after. I don't want a PC twist, or version that is "sensitive" to this generation. Leave the story alone in its original format, offensive or otherwise. It was a great book, a great read.
12 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on December 14, 2015
Beautiful (albeit very BIG) box set! I never realized there were 15 some-odd books in the entire Oz series, fun surprise that & I'm immensely looking forward to starting the series once my reading list clears up a little (I'm one of those crazies who often reads multiple books at once). I've heard some complaints about the box the books come in being very battered looking, however, I haven't had that problem. I'm sure as time goes on I'll have to tape it up to help it avoid wear & tear, but I have not grumbles about the packaging. I grew up reading part of the Oz series when I was much younger & have wanted to find a non-Omnibus set for a while (omnibus being the great big books that combine several books into one). The cover art is very cute for its young audience.
4 people found this helpful
on December 2, 2015
Books just do so much more for the imagination than the movie counterpart could ever do. Anyone who grew up watching the film, which is practically everyone, should certainly do yourself the favor of reading this book and learning for yourself why books are often made into big production movies. And here, again, find out for yourself why the book is always so much more enjoyable for those who love to read. Judy Garland and company did a fine job bring the main characters to life. But nothing tops the wild imagination stirred in the reader by turning the pages for himself. Don't pass up this classic. Don't tell yourself it's a children's story either. Be a child again. There's nothing to stop you. Not even flying monkeys.
4 people found this helpful
on November 19, 2016
I purchased this book because it had all the original Denslow illustrations.

And while it delivers on that, the quality of the printing, formatting, and layout is poor.
8 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
My daughter and I read this together and really liked it. I found the sentences to be a bit run on so when I was reading it out loud to my daughter I kept having to pause in the middle to catch my breath! That was a bit annoying.

But the story itself was pretty funny and a bit morbid IMO. If you have watched the movie but not read the book, lemme tell you; they are similar but by no means are they the same. The tin man’s reason for being tin was…..bordering on the ridiculous. My daughter and I kept laughing at each time he lost a limb.

And the Lion didn’t really come off as cowardly so much as bratty. But I’m sure that’s just our modern interpretation. I did love the flying monkeys. They played a much bigger part in the book. Each chapter was like a mini adventure, always something new that happened and was resolved by the end of it. It kept us engaged in that aspect.
One thing I will spoil for you….her shoes are NOT red.

And did you know, there’s like 13 books in this series? I had no idea. Anyway, it was a fun read. I definitely recommend it, especially if you had kids.
7 people found this helpful
on February 20, 2015
With the Judy Garland movie, 'The Wizard of Oz' and the more recent James Franco vehicle, 'Oz the Great and Powerful', television mini-series such as 'Tin Man' and the book turned stage play and soon to be movie, 'Wicked", it's highly doubtful that anyone over the age of ten is unaware of the story of Kansas farm girl Dorothy Gale's trip to the land of Oz. Along with her dog, Toto, she meets and befriends the Scarecrow, the Tin Woodsman, and the Cowardly Lion. At the advice of Glinda, Good Witch of the North, they set out to the Emerald City to ask the great and powerful Wizard of Oz to help them achieve their heart's desires. Along the way, they must oppose the Wicked Witch of the West, who wants the Silver Slippers (or the Ruby Slippers, made famous in the movie version with Judy Garland.). Yes, the books are old, but they still have relevance even in today's world, with their themes of love, friendship and the importance of family and home.

I got this book free from Amazon.com, and it will always be one of the treasures residing in my Kindle for PC application. It may become the same for any reader who chooses it for themselves. The Kindle for PC application can be had for free from Amazon.com as well. Get it and start your own collection of classics such as 'The Wonderful Wizard of Oz'.
|11 comment|Report abuse
on May 19, 2017
I introduced my 2 year old granddaughter to the original "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" with Judy Garland via good 'ole youtube. She loves, loves, loves that. And, also "We're off the See the Wizard". So, she was familiar with most of the wonderful characters and story (with the exception of the Wicked Witch of the West and the flying monkeys). I was happy to find this amazing book. The most challenging thing is to keep all the intricate pop-ups safe from her curious little hands. One tip I would offer is to turn the pages carefully! The story is a little long for her to sit through right now, but my abbreviated version as we turn the pages keeps her interest. I'm in hopes that it will only get better as she ages. I would recommend this engaging book - especially the "magic" Emerald City glasses !
on September 15, 2015
A classic spanning generations! In particular this edition is worth every penny! The pages are of thick card stock and the dust jacket is just fantastic! The illustrations really bring the story to life. And the story is of course riveting. A GREAT classic!! This edition is one of those books that will be an heirloom. It is hardy enough in construction to endure and the story will be relevant forever. Again a wonderful classic presented in such a way to rival the characters and plot. I would gladly recommend this book and the others in the series to others, and as a mom of five and a nanny to many this book can be appreciated and enjoyed for many, many years. A great investment to encourage reading, creative writing and most especially time with your children reading together!! The other books in this series (Sterling Illustrated Classics) are also of great quality.
on July 23, 2014
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum, adapted by Eric Shanower, and illustrated by Skottie Young
Edition reviewed: Marvel hardcover edition, 2009.

Why I Picked it Up:
I actually wasn’t looking for a comic book at all. I wasn’t even looking at Wizard of Oz related things. I was reading a list of gift ideas for girls, and saw the Marvel version of the Wizard of Oz! Not to say that this is a girly book – it feels very gender neutral to me, which is probably one of the reasons that it was on the list. Anyway, I was intrigued, and looked it up. As soon as I saw the whimsical cover, and that it was a 200+ page hardcover collected the 8 comic book issues, I purchased it right away.

My Overall Opinion:
This book is not at all what I’m usually into. Perhaps I was inspired by Darth Vader and Son, which I found adorable. But this book absolutely blew me away.
Of course, I watched the Wizard of Oz movie starring Judy Garland as a kid. So I knew the basic storyline, but I hadn’t known that the movie had changed so much of the original book. To my delight (in my world, books > movies), this Marvel edition was a direct, visual transformation of the original.
Shanower does a great job of adapting the story. It’s easy to read, the plot is clear and concise, and the dialogue fits in perfectly. Another review states that this book is text heavy for a graphic novel. However, I didn’t notice this, so I assume this is only a problem for very young children. It seemed like a perfectly reasonable amount of text to me. I’d like to think that this book transcends all age groups.
But where this book really shines lies in the visual aspects. Artist Skottie Young and colorist Jean-Francois Beaulieu have made this book an absolute masterpiece. The art is truly wonderful, and the vibrant colors enhance the storyline more than I would have thought possible. I would buy this book just to stare all the beautiful artwork because it really is outstanding. I never knew how much colors could alter the tone of a scene, and Beaulieu is clearly an expert here. Young’s incredibly talented as well, and the bonus material in the back shows his character building process, with various sketches and prototypes. I really appreciated this section, because it really demonstrates Young’s versatility and creativity – I had no idea how much work it took to develop original artwork for characters that readers had already cast in their heads.

After reading this, the 1939 movie is no longer the “standard” Wizard of Oz tale to me. If I ever hear of the Cowardly Lion, Skottie Young’s illustration is the one that I will think of. I will think of silver shoes instead of ruby red shoes, and I will see the Tinman with a (awesome) moustache forever.
This book is timeless and beautiful, and I would highly recommend for anyone with even the slightest inkling of interest in the Wizard of Oz. I had enjoyed the Judy Garland movie, but it was never one of my favorites. This Marvel edition, however, is now a book that I will recommend to everyone with children. On top of that, this version is just as likeable for adults and teens!
So just hurry up and get a copy of this book. The Wonderful Wizard of Oz is waiting!