Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 834 reviews(5 star, Verified Purchases). See all 2,907 reviews
on August 2, 2015
I was lucky enough to find this book in a resale shop, paid under $2.00 for it, that was many many many years ago...starting from the first sentence I was enthralled, I literally could not put this book down. When I had to, I seemed to suffer as much as Richard did, I would ponder about this book all day till I got off work to immerse myself back into this wonderful new world, full of sights, sounds, taste...yes, there were some uncomfortable parts, but overall, I was tin Richard's corner, Zedd made me laugh, Darken Rahl I personally wanted to thrash...each character made a permanent home in my mind, where today they still dwell...waiting for the end of a long story, hoping for their happy ending..hoping...
on October 7, 2016
I absolutely love all Terry Goodkind novels... this is the first in a long running series that should not be missed.... if you saw the sword of truth tv series you only have a tiny inkling of what these books are all about.... think lord of the rings type long fantasy novel not campy television...Richard the main male character is a man of strong conviction who has no idea that not only does he have a unique heritage and a very unusual type of magic, but that his whole world is going to change in crazy ways... Kahlen wanders into his life and becomes the most important person in his existence... but she is so very much more than a romantic lead... she has magic of her own that is truly deadly and is desperate to save all the little people she is responsible for....Zedd is a lovable crazy character who has more secrets than you would think....... this book will introduce you to the true vision of Terry Goodkind...there are things in these stories that are more akin to a philosophy wrapped in story that will not let go...I have ALL of the books in this series in hardback and go back to them again and again...
on June 27, 2015
This book is AMAZING! I first read it when I was 13 years old. I have since re read it many times. The entire saga is just as awesome. It has just the perfect balance of plot depth, vivid but believable characters, ups and downs, and just about everything else you could want in a good fantasy. It is in my top three favorites. There are a lot of bad reviews for it that make no sense to me. Maybe they simply don't like the authors uniqe writing style. This is the first full length novel written by Terry goodkind, and if you think about that it is pretty amazing that he had such a seamless epic story. It may be the e book version is a bit clunky of a copy with some errors. But I have read both and can say mistakes did not lessen the story at all. Just a few distracting paragraphs is all. So I am going to assume that either they simply are snobby critics, not fantasy fans, or read a earlier more flawed version. Do NOT watch the show based on the story though. It is trash in my personal opinion and nothing like the books.
on May 14, 2017
This is an amazing series and Terry Goodkind works hard to make the book better than any Lord of the Rings series. Don't hate me on that but while these characters do walk, a lot does happen that develops both the character and plot and isn't there just to make the journey better. A lot of twists and turns will lead to a lot of adult themes. In later books, two characters are lesbians and no matter if you hate them, you support them in the books and will connect to every character. Goodkind is an amazing writer and there is a TV series for the books. Haven't watched it yet but it seems to have a lot of good reviews.
on April 21, 2017
I read this series years ago and was pleased I enjoyed it as much the second time. Lots of action that keeps the reader engaged. I appreciate every story Seema to need a love story but in this case it does not consume the entire narrative as so many other authors do. Its fantasy so I don't identify with the protagonist or his friends but rather enjoy "walking" by his side throughout. I'll leave it to others to dissect the plot. A good read that I highly recommended as a great summer read.
on June 21, 2014
This and very few other books, I read once a year. I read constantly and just enjoy re-visiting stories again.

This is the only one I don't own physically because I loaned it to someone and her dog ate it.. (So part of my review, never loan your books to anyone.)

Otherwise, the story is very good, detailed and deep. It's never boring, but Goodkind's writing changes later around the 4th+ book. I own all his books and I think that anyone who wants a fresh story with characters they can fall in love with, they should seriously look into these. I hope you enjoy it, whether you are a first time reader, or coming back for more!
on November 7, 2015
For the first novel in a long running series, Wizard's First Rule (WFR for short) is not your typical first novel where the author it attempting to get the story in order & work out the details & characters. The plot of the story is riveting, the characters are well imagined & the world they inhabit is similar to our own. The two main characters (Richard Cypher, & Kahlan Amnell) are intriguing & well written.

Though the story does have it's "slow points", the characters & the overall plot more than make-up for the brief lull in the action. This is a book I would recommend to fans of fantasy, especially those who have read George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice & Fire series.

What first grabbed my attention to this book was the artwork on the cover, which was drawn by Keith Parkinson. Seeing that art, I could just imagine being there & seeing that view myself.
on March 29, 2016
I read the Wizard's First Rule many years ago and it left me in a post-read hangover. I couldn't get the book out of my head. I couldn't get the characters out of my head.

I've recently gone back to reread it and still liked it well enough that I bought the Kindle version to add to my digital library. But while Mr. Goodkind's introduction to Richard and Kahlan's story has held up well, some of the magic has faded. Nevertheless, it's still a 5-star book in my opinion.

Mr. Goodkind's approach to the Wizard's First Rule is rather formulaic when it comes to the fantasy genre, but he executes well. The cast of characters (especially Zedd "Bags" Zorander) keep the pages moving, and the relationship between Kahlan and Richard will have you rooting for their success.

If you like your tropes, a lot of fantastic in your fantasy, and you don't have a weak stomach, you'll enjoy this book. Fair warning on the weak stomach, though: this book delves into some graphic scenes that probably will make you uncomfortable even if you enjoy reading dark or grimdark fantasy.

If you enjoy a more modern approach to fantasy, with a cast of gray characters, no dark lords, etc., you probably won't enjoy this book.
on April 29, 2017
One of the best books ever written. The story sucks you in. You start asking yourself when confronted with life changing decisions, "what would Richard do?" I've read this 5 times. Every couple of years reread it. All readers understand "the quest" we readers and book lovers live with. It's the search of those great stories that pull you in and don't let go.
on November 1, 2016
This is such an amazing book, and a great intro to the series! Richard is such a dynamic character and you can't help but really feel what he is going through. I also purchased the audio companion thing that was an add on for the Kindle book. I can't tell you how incredibly convenient this was for me! Easily switching from audio to reading was the best thing ever! I can't stress how amazing this feature is!