Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $59.99 Kindle Paperwhite uncharted Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 130 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 199 reviews
on February 12, 2010
I'm not sure where I first got notice of Phoenix and their Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix" CD. I'd guess it was an Amazon recommendation since it fits my musical tastes rather well. In any case, I bought. I never listen to samples. I tend to buy from reviews so listening to every new CD comes as a surprise and the Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix CD is no exception. I was surprised, and pleased.

My first impression was that the CD reminded me of the "New Wave" era of the late 70s and early 80s. That's fine with me as I loved New Wave music. It was simple, basic and highly danceable, as is the Phoenix album. As I listened through the album I felt it was very reminiscent of The Cars in many different ways. Again, that's OK, I greatly enjoyed Cars music. The vocals sounded different, but the background and arrangements definitely reminded me of The Cars, plus any number of other New Wave bands. The music is melodic, simple, highly repetitious and danceable, all favorable characteristics in my opinion. I can listen and listen without getting tired.

This is an excellent album. Real fine! It sounds old and new at the same time. Born-Again New Wave, I'd call it. If you like New Wave, you should enjoy it very much.

Gary Peterson
on October 30, 2013
I say a pop album, although it isn't emblematic of today's (or 2009's) pop scene. If it were the pop scene would be much brighter and more credible.

The album is fairly upbeat, heavy on the electronica/synthesized beats, and eminently dance-able. The whole album clocks in at under 40 minutes, which is almost a nice throwback to the days of the original LP's. And I keep using the term "album," because this really does play like an album--meant to be listened to from beginning to end, which again is almost throwback concept in today's landscape of pervasive singles downloading.

If you are not familiar with Phoenix outside of their hit "1901," don't stress. If you like(d) "1901" you will almost assuredly like this album. If you didn't, Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix may not be for you, but it is such a good effort that you might do yourself a favor by giving it a listen anyways, just to see if you don't change your mind.
on April 10, 2009
The previous poster was correct in that this is only 2 of the songs on the EP ... but it's not like Amazon is charging you for them. The other two songs aren't really songs. One is an instrumental intro type thing, and the other is only 1:50 seconds long.

As for the songs that are actually included here, they are very good. The sound is clean and it's mixed well. I like the up-tempo style as well. I really like the direction they are taking and they originally got me hooked when I first heard the song Consolation Prizes a few years ago. Really looking forward to their new album.
on April 6, 2016
It came damaged and the quality sounds awful.
on June 2, 2011
Frankly the description sums it up perfectly. Better than their second album. Equal to if not better than their first. Every bit as good - except for the "nostalgia factor" that those of us who have been with the band since the very beginning feel. Just a really really catchy album full of perfect songs that mix electronica with acoustic and analog sounds to their benefit, as opposed to just for commercial reasons. As always there are a few 'throw-away songs' on here. Hence the four stars versus five. I am hoping one day to give Phoenix FIVE stars. They are one of the best bands in the world today regarding their compositions; and i am SURE one day this will happen.
on March 8, 2014
This CD by Phoenix is great! Lisztomania is an awesome song! Would definitely recommend! MOVIE COLLECTOR is an awesome seller. Selected them due to their 100% customer satisfaction rating on Amazon. Item shipped earlier than expected. Item came in perfect condition due to the care in packaging for shipment. The company enclosed a personal note on the billing statement with a very personal message that I found really cool! Would definitely purchase from them again in the future.
on July 17, 2015
My favorite album from this band and one of my favs ever! First purchased it about a year ago, (it broke- I freaked out) so I got another. Some I loved hearing for the first time, a couple took awhile to grow on me, and now I totally get why this won a Grammy for best alternative album in 2009. Love, Love, Love it!!!!!!
on May 26, 2013
It sounds like their first album, but more in minor key. It still has its upbeat tempos and a little soulful with one of its tracks (soulful on the computer generated side). I prefer playing this album on cheap stereo because it sounds clearer and you don't get a lot of feedback from the electronic synthesizers as you would on a larger sounding stereo system. You won't be disappointed if you buy this cause it still sounds like their previous release, just new songs. However, if you're looking for them to really blow you away with something new... its not happening in this CD and I am fine with that because its still good noise. ALSO, the lyrics have improved greatly on this CD since their last album. Last album was a little bit too much like David Bowie and the way he would use computer generated lyrics... they didn't always make sense if you paid attention. However David Bowie's made more sense than Phoenix's did in their last album. I guess that is what helps make their songs more carefree cause you can't take the lyrics seriously... that's another reason why I say "Its still good noise"
on April 28, 2013
How have I never heard of this group until now? Saw them on SNL recently. I feel this album is the best among all their albums. Their lyics are somewhat mysterious, like written in a secret code that ordinary mortals like me can't understand, but the harmony, rhythm, melody, and super-tight arrangements just stand out so far above the rest of the cr*p that the music industry typically puts out. Gotta had it to these guys - VERY GOOD musically.
on January 19, 2014
and this cd reminds all that cross its path. Wow i hear it and I listen close and then i think of the goals and dreams that keep my a$$ getting up and outta the bed in the morning. Inspiring, uplifting, and polite! Only critique is that the songs won't be getting repeat attention in three months as the thrill will be long gone. Buy it and live in the NOW MAN.