Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Weekly One ft Vant GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now FFII_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 193 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 343 reviews
on May 4, 2016
I read Women immediately following Post Office, and it is also a part of my Esquire 75 Books Every Man Needs To Read reading challenge. Women is the 20th book on the list (not including books I will be rereading).

After the death of his postal career along with the love of his life, Bukowski’s Chianski begins to scour trashy America for experience, art, booze, and sex. His career is beginning to take off and he can do

more than merely survive in his existence, and he begins to explore himself and his relationships in this semi-autobiographical novel about much the same things as his other novels, but with a marked difference in literary style and execution as well as notoriety and accomplishment as an artist.

The focus of this piece is easily the paper-thin relationships that Chianski surrounds himself with. Every escapade leads to some revelation about his manhood, his fame, and his constant brush with the women that seem to constantly contrast with his one vice – a penchant for finding the most emotionally unstable women to have weekend relationships with, and being both unsatisfied with the sex and relationship, and surprised when the women cling to him with fervent desire.

In Women, Bukowski has improved and expanded his literary dance with being both anti-pedantic in diction and syntax while at the same time being misleading in his ability to screw intensive literary symbolism and devices into this somewhat simple work. The result is scrupulous, tireless literary and linguistic acrobatics that lead across the wasteland of white-trash slums and heighten Chianski’s vices and sexual escapades to that of religious reverence.

Definitely deserves its place on Esquire's list.
on July 8, 2015
Let's start off by saying...Wow. This book was a rollercoaster!

I first heard of this book when I watched a behind the scenes documentary on one of my favorite shows, Californication. It was mentioned that Henry Chilaski, main character in the book, was the model for the show's hank Moody. After I read the book, I could not agree more. nail, coffin, done.

The book has a no holds barred atmosphere. Not a few pages in and Henry Chilaski is in a whirlwind of violation drinking, drugs and constant sexual encounters. I found myself sympathizing with the Chilaski character as the story goes on. In moments of the book it reminded me of parts of my life. It has a way off pulling you in and then slamming your fingers in the door.

Bukowski's renegade and raw approach to writing is known world wide and this book does not hold any punches. It's fast and full of life. I read it in a two night sitting and it left me yearning for more.

This book is definitely worth the pick up. It's funny, charming, entertaining, dismissive, angry and rude all rolled into one.

I hope you have as much fun with it, as I did.
on January 13, 2016
A classic. Lost my previous copy during a move and picked this up on a whim. Love the cover's style and the size of the paperback - funny thing to mention, but it's nice that I could throw this into a back-pack or work folder and read on the go. The cover really stands out on a bookshelf and just overall gives you that cool Bukowski vibe imo.

The actual story and author himself need no introduction, and this isn't a review of the actual novel's story or authorship. Both, of course, would be off the charts as far as ratings go...and if you've never been initiated into this world I highly recommend it. That said, 5 stars to the actual physical copy itself, quick shipping, and the selling vendor.
on November 27, 2015
When people ask me about Bukowski, I usually say, just try reading some. There is no one quite like him. The first time I read him, as a college student in the sixties, I was astonished that anyone so depraved could be so literate. As down-and-out as Jim Thompson, but with more booze and explicit, matter-of-fact sex. But for Bukowski, it's not so much about the sex as about the relationships (mostly unsatisfactory), and about the hard vicissitudes in the life of a marginally celebrated author and poet. Above all, Bukowski is funny.

"Women" is classic Bukowski, a book I have picked up many times over the years, either to read straight through or just to browse. Try some. If you find him addicting, there is lots more.
on April 20, 2017
Bukowski's style is easily digestible and surprisingly nourishing. Worth a spin.
on December 10, 2016
It can be very crude at times but it's an easy & entertaining read. It helps if you've read his previous books such as "Ham on Rye" & "Post Office" so you know about his back-ground.
on June 5, 2014
After having read several samples of other books to no avail, I spontaneously decided to try out Bukowsi. WOW! His simple elegance and eloquence and utter bluntness is so refreshing; I feel like he really "tells it like it is." And I like the brevity of his writing. Many authors get carried away with long, overwrought, pretentious descriptions, but Bukowski's are short and sweet. I'm a slow reader and can handle complex, heavy material, but this was a nice respite from those kinds of books (not to say Bukowski doesn't share some of his own truths in life in an accessible and attractive manner). Will definitely be reading more of this guy - next on the list is Ham on Rye. Don't miss this one - it's real delight!
on May 19, 2016
I have read other Bukowski's books and have really enjoyed them. For some reason I put off reading this book for a long time because I thought it would just be more of the same. But I was really pleasantly surprised by the content. Bukowski's unique, coarse, and candid voice is as strong as ever, but he writes about his growing fame. You come to see a man who is challenged by his own success and also surprised. Overall, I really enjoyed this book and recommend it. But obviously the sexual content may be off-putting to many people.
on June 12, 2012
Low-life writer and unrepentant alcoholic Henry Chinaski was born to survive. After decades of slacking off at low-paying dead-end jobs, blowing his cash on booze and women, and scrimping by in flea-bitten apartments, Chinaski sees his poetic star rising at last. Now, at fifty, he is reveling in his sudden rock-star life, running three hundred hangovers a year, and maintaining a sex life that would cripple Casanova.

it reads well doesnt it....

made me want to buy it...

I read this book right to the end and it was consistent.

The first thing that first struck me was his repeated use of the 'c' word (with four letters, ending in unt) to describe what others might call 'pussy'.
For some reason i found that a bit too much, but i will put that down to social conditioning.
The book reads well, i felt like an alcoholic writer by the end of it, put it that way.
An alcoholic writer who was getting a lot of sex from all sorts of different women.

3 and half stars mostly because the author is so revered for his other books.

I have finished reading 'women' and am looking around for other books in a similar genre which are just as sexy, just as debaucherous and have a common thread sewn into the plot, but not as vulgar
and one dimensional.

It lacks emotion.

Its a fine line between boring sexual dribble and a novel which actually has some emotion and story telling behind it.

This was close, but it didnt tick all the boxes for me.

Having said that, i would buy it again and read it if i had never read it...this books makes me want to look into his other books.
on November 27, 2013
Bukowski describes life pure and simple. He's not overly self-aware, not trying to write a flowery literary classic. Doesn't spend 3,000 words describing a sunset, or the expression on a person's face.
He cuts to the chase. He's not one of those writers that you have to re-read a paragraph several times to get what he's saying.
All of his novels that I've read are memorable (Ham on Rye, Post Office, Hollywood, Factotum), but "Women" is among my favorites.
A must read for any Bukowski fan.
For a reader looking to give Bukowski a try, I'd start with "Ham on Rye" or "Factotum".
This book is very sexually graphic and not for anyone under 16-17. If it were a movie it would be rated R or beyond.
I gave it 4 stars because it is imminently readable and engaging, but not an American classic or anything life-changing.