Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 25 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 63 reviews
on May 29, 2012
With Women From the Ankle Down in hand, I had expected to be entertained by a soft, fun romp through the world of women's' shoes; good bedtime reading. I was so pleasantly surprised to find that once I began reading what Ms. Bergstein chronicled, I couldn't put the book down. Far more than (and in addition to) an overview of women's relationship with their shoes and the fun of connecting different shoe styles to women's differing identities, I was experiencing a cultural analysis of how the zeitgeist of our country had changed over almost a century. I was given a cohesive view of woman in their struggles and triumphs within that time frame. Taking the journey via Ms. Bergstein's very apt, entertaining and intelligent writing style, I felt sorry for all of the Rosie's who had to give back to the men not only their riveters, their work clothes, and their "practical" shoes, but also their new found sense of empowerment. I ached for the eventual emotional deadness and pill-popping inclinations of the 50's housewife who "had" to look a certain way each day for her husband, down to her heels. I adored the back story of the Ruby Slippers and the making of the Wizard of Oz. Overall, Bergstein's book has layers of experience. I found it to be a thoroughly pleasurable and compelling read - both smart and entertaining - unexpectedly thought provoking, and a book that any woman can relate to and enjoy.
on June 27, 2016
I bought this as a graduation gift for a former supervisor of mine who is getting her doctorate. She LOVES stiletto heels - the higher the better- and I thought this was perfect for her. I was a little disappointed that there were not more pictures, but the information is top notch, and each chapter does begin with a line drawing of an appropriate shoe for that chapter.

I bought one copy for her and another for me, and I am not at all sorry that I chose this gift for her. I really hope that she will read it because it's not just a lot of dry information, it is written in a very engaging and enjoyable way and really does touch on many areas of life and history besides just shoes. I will thoroughly enjoy finishing my copy and keeping on my bookshelf for future reference.
on September 17, 2013
The first parts were interesting, more intersting than I thought. Author hit on some ideas about 1950s stilettos that I had not thought of. Once the book went into the 70s and later, tone changed. The entire decade of the 80s, at least the chapter on it, was dull. When I was in high school and college in the 80s, the big shoes for youth anyway were Bass pennyloafers, "boat shoes" usually worn without socks, generic gym shoes, and if you were a cheerleader or a drill team member, we would wear those saddles with our jeans. Working women wore more conservative heels or colored Reebok hitops on weekends. No mention of these shoes. Instead we read and read and read about Blahniks. Let me say this, if you couldn't care less about Sex and the City, the chapter is useless. Actually I went through 3-4 pages on my Kindle several times without seeing a mention of shoes. The 1980s were more than Converse and checkerboard Vans. I managed to get through that decade without owning either one! No mention of boots in the 70s either. Yes, we've seen the Courreges style go-go boots on the Shindig dancers, but as I recall, you HAD to have suede boots in the 70s to go with your gauchos and suede trench, as well as a pair of painful cowboy boots later in the decade.
Perhaps it's not possible to write about every shoe style, but I was struck at someone discussing the 1980s and skipping the Bass obsession.
on July 13, 2014
Starts with a poor Italian boy in 1907 and travels, a lot of the time with him, through UK, France, Hollywood, before it wraps up with the close of the US television show Sex and the City. Along the way are some significant changes in shoe design, manufacturing, and marketing; and, a fair number of famous names, including some that one might not directly connect with the history of shoe fashion.
It is one of the kind of books where every word on the page is there for a reason, because every page transmits information. I'm not looking at this book from a fashion professional's point of view but I would say there is little to no fluff and filler in the text, the consonants and vowels are there because they have a mission to fulfill.
It's worth it. It's fun. And I think it is safe to declare that you will learn something somewhere in it.
on June 8, 2016
Some interesting history about shoes but not just women's shoes, also men's. And a good deal about Hollywood and the impact it has had on shoes. I was a little bit disappointed. Note that I own over 100 pairs of shoes so I have a huge investment and interest in the topic.
on March 11, 2015
The book is written in easy-to-read prose. The book gives a fascinating anecdotal history of shoe manufacturing in modern times and its linkage to the empowerment of women through sex and pop culture. The book provides interesting insights into the psyche of women.
on June 28, 2016
Picked this up on a whim through BookBub, and it is really well written, with lots of stories, and history for those of us, who love shoes. A definite thumbs up! True enjoyment!
on December 22, 2013
Full of interesting information about the significance or symbolism of shoes at different times in our recent history. A very enjoyable read. Totally recommended.
on January 23, 2014
This was a fun read and I'd highly recommend for anyone who enjoys knowing more of the history behind both the shoe industry and shoe designers, historical trends, and their social context. I enjoyed it!
on December 2, 2016
Fascinating historical account, well researched!