Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services americangods americangods americangods  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 34 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 81 reviews
on September 27, 2014
i'm a man, got the book because I enjoyed the "dont get fat " very much. I just started reading it, but I'm anxious to share my pleasure so far. this book has a lot of common sense stuff that we seem to forget over the years, actually a good and pleasant reading for a man too ( I'm 54 ), I would definitely strongly suggest this reading to college kids or everybody in his 20's. But like I said, myself at 54, I really enjoy the reading, beside sharing her experience how she climbed and approached her career ( and this in the super competitive New York and male environment ).
on May 2, 2016
Much of the advice is not new, but it's okay and valid. I was distracted by the author's pretentious tone and her annoying and unnecessary French phrases. She seems a little removed from the average working woman and I felt that her inability to give concrete advice for working mothers was a short-coming. Though she did give plenty of advice on how to maintain a life worth living even if your career is demanding. I think a much better read for women is Sonia Sotomayor's autobiography, the Supreme Court Justice has a much better narrative voice, and her story is very compelling. She overcame many real hardships and yet worked her way up to obtaining one of the most prestigious and important roles in the US. She is truly inspiring.
on July 20, 2016
I'm enjoying it, but it's taking me a bit to get through it. I think that unfortunately, since this book was published the economy has changed so much and thus the climate of the workforce along with it. Certain aspects of this book don't really seem to apply as much anymore. Well written though- I would buy other books of hers.
on April 6, 2017
This is a straightforward and no nonsense but enjoyable read with tons of great tips for the working woman. I loved it!
on April 6, 2014
Having read "French Women Don't Get Fat," I decided to pick up this book. I regret it.

The appeal of the former: its philosophy was different than that of American culture and so was insightful in bringing a new perspective/approach.

This book: not so much. It's common business sense and not particularly interesting. Too much about her own achievements, too much fluff. I found myself skimming the book for the headlines of the chapters, then finally just putting it down.
on October 24, 2009
Perhaps my expectations were higher than they should have been, but I felt rather let down by the end of the book. Mireille Guiliano seems like a lovely lady; very chic, very enthused with life and happily willing to share all this with us and for that I am appreciative, but I read her book almost immediately after finishing Ivanka Trump's business book and so don't laugh when I say that although they may seem poles apart in the generation stakes these ladies were very similar in their advice; putting in the hours, hand written notes and behaving like a lady. . . I think I was expecting something a little more profound from Ms. Guiliano given all her years in business and life; the secret of how to obtain that "je ne c'est quoi" would have been nice - this vital ingredient which chic, stylish older women tend to exude, and which is of course called confidence. Maybe that is why Ms. Trump's book is not dissimilar - both these ladies exude oodles of confidence.

Of course it could also be that the advice given by both women is simply timeless but needs to be said in a variety of ways to capture each new generation or to remind those of us who've been around a while that old-fashioned methods still work. . . A nice read if you've not read any business or lifestyle books in a while.
on December 4, 2013
Great reading, entertaining, and it has sensible tips. I do agree that balance is crucial, whether at work or in my private life. I have incorporated her suggestions of balancing out my diet, such as if I over indulge one day, the next I cut back a bit. I also pay more attention to pamper myself a bit, which often times falls short with being a working mom and mother of a toddler. But I try to take care of myself so that I feel balanced and centered, which translate to a better wife and mom. Also, I slowly make my own style and pay more attention to what really works for my appearance, rather than trying to fit into the images that I see on magazines and TV.
on December 28, 2015
Great book for women just getting out of college. Wish I'd had something like this years ago. It would have surely helped me.
on August 4, 2013
This book is good for some light reading. It mentions many things that are important to know in your business life but is not a complete guide on how to make any of it happen.
on August 27, 2015
I enjoy Mirelle's writing. Reading her books is like talking with a sweet older aunt.