- Hardcover: 384 pages
- Publisher: DK Publishing; 1 edition (April 15, 2009)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0756642779
- ISBN-13: 978-0756642778
- Product Dimensions: 7.8 x 1.1 x 10.4 inches
- Shipping Weight: 3.2 pounds
- Average Customer Review: 14 customer reviews
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #2,386,888 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Women's Health For Life Hardcover – April 15, 2009
The Amazon Book Review
Author interviews, book reviews, editors picks, and more. Read it now
From Publishers Weekly
Moore, a frequent guest on the Oprah show, helms a list of world class female physician coauthors. The book opens with the old news that womenÖs wellness has taken a backseat to menÖs, even though itÖs been 20 years since the government insisted that clinical trials include women. The few reliable, comprehensive guides to womenÖs health include most notably Our Bodies, Ourselves and The New Harvard Guide to WomenÖs Health, but this new resource is not one of them. It offers broad coverage, but insufficient straightforward information. Opening with the familiar discussion about why women are different and deserve appropriate care, the book covers minimal basic explanations and advice for maintaining health and understanding and recognizing symptoms of disease. In an effort to offer nonalarmist guidance, the coauthors downplay the severity of certain conditions, including cancer, liver disease and coronary artery disease. Twelve of 16 chapters, each presenting short overviews, sidebars, charts, illustrations, symptom checklists and advice for self-care, focus on an individual physiological system (hormones, breast health, heart, etc.). The message that informed patients receive better care is here, but symptom checklists are incomplete and explanations cursory at best. (May)
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
About the Author
Highly regarded as a women's health expert and advocate; as a physician educator and as a media commentator, Dr. Moore is the Founder and President of DrDonnica.com, a popular women's health information website launched in Sept. 2000. She is also Founder and President of Sapphire Women's Health Group LLC, a multimedia women's health education and communications firm.
Team-written by female specialists in the US and UK, all of whom are experts in their respective fields.
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
1) It recognizes that there ARE differences between men and women that matter for all aspects of health -- physical, mental, social, chemical, etc.
2) It has a fabulous section by decade on the kinds of issues many women in that decade face, with very practical and specific guidance -- what tests to have, what to expect, what you can do yourself, and where to seek guidance and assistance.
3) It recognizes that such things as weight issues, sleep issues, and menopause are huge, and offers the best available guidance on options in plain language for all -- not for "dummies"
4) It contains plentiful amounts of the 3 T's: tips (galore, for all medical/health issues women face), tests (what's needed at each age), and tasteful photos (important and appropriate)
5) It's straightforward about symptoms and provides guidance as to what to do next
This is a must-own for every household -- men will benefit as well!
Think Mother's day and graduation gifts as starters -- off to college, new job, new baby, or just having a resource for life, and you'll be thrilled with your choice!