Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Nothing More PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 827 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,020 reviews
on April 10, 2016
Fun game! Quick and pretty easy. Our 5 year old loves it!
review image
on May 26, 2014
Cooperative games are a fairly new invention in modern board games. They really started with adult family games like Pandemic and then have now started appearing more and more in the younger children's market. It is a welcome trend. Competitive games are great for teaching social skills like remaining happy when losing, but cooperative games have an even more positive effect I believe. Teamwork is a more important skill to practice and you can still practice losing happily if your team doesn't beat the game.

This game works kind of like a where's Waldo adaptation. Richard Scarry books have often featured a find Goldbug activity in them and this game turns that observational practice into a timed team event.

First of all the board game is HUGE! The space is filled with loads of Richard Scarry type drawings illustrating an entire town. Players are trying to move all their character pieces to a picnic. To do this they end up having to find as many examples of randomly selected items as they can before a timer runs out. The more objects everyone finds the further the characters can move. Players place small plastic magnifying glasses on top of examples of whatever item they are looking for. If the all the characters don't get there fast enough the ants will cart away the picnic food and the board game wins.

My children (5 and 8) have had this game for about a year and a half and enjoy it, although there are other more strategic games they enjoy more and pull out more often now. I also enjoy playing this game with them. It holds all of our attention when we play.

Practicing observational skills is important for preschool children especially, but older elementary school aged students will also enjoy playing it with their preschool siblings. After preschool and kindergarten it really loses its possible educational benefits. Three to five year olds are the real target audience for this game. I would recommend this for preschool or kindergarten classroom use. The components should hold up fine for that use and it will be a hit game with them.
on July 5, 2016
The simplicity of this game is one of the things that made it so appealing to our family. Our children are very close in age (5,4, and 3) and so we often need games and activities that allow all three to participate. The basic concept of this game is a search and find. It's nice because all of the teams/players work together and you either all win or all lose. I'm not one that thinks losing is a bad thing and I certainly want to teach my children how to be a good loser but this game offers a nice change of pace from that. I can see where some may find this game a bit too easy in that once you've played it a few times, you begin to remember where certain things are and that takes some of the fun away. But after it's been in the closet a while it is like playing it for the first time. We all enjoy finding it and everyone cheers when we land on the magnifying glass to do the searches!
on June 9, 2016
This is the BEST toddler game EVER! We got this for my son's 3rd birthday (he enjoys the Richard Scarry books and loves hidden pictures) and I seriously can't believe how much fun it is to play with him. The object of the game is to get to picnic island before the pigs eat all the food, all together, it's cooperative so everyone wins or loses together. On the spinner there's "pigs eat" and you take away a picnic item every time, there's also numbers of course for moving ahead spaces, but the best is the goldbug cards--- that's when you find hidden pictures on the board game and however many everyone finds together, you all move that many spaces. Since we got this 2 months ago we have purchased it for 3 other friends' 3rd birthdays, everyone has loved it!
on March 19, 2017
Even if your kids are not already fans of R.Scarry's Busy Town books and characters, there is a lot here to like here for kids aged 3-5.

The game board is sized 6+ feet long and packed with objects to hurry and find. The scenes are Where's Waldo-like in their detail and my 3 year old has enjoyed trying to beat the timer while trying to find the items scattered all over the game board. She hasn't mastered all the rules but seems to pick up a bit more each time we play.

The game has replay value for kids, and all the game's pieces are constructed of durable quality so I'm very happy with the purchase.

I grew up with R.Scarry, and am happy my girls also enjoy the books, and now this game.
on June 10, 2015
What I thought might happen: our 3-year old grandson, who was visiting for a week, would be mildly amused by the seek and find feature. What actually happened: we unleashed a rabid Busytown fan who wanted to play "Pigs Eat" (as he calls it) all day long. We finally had to put limits on how often we'd play, and shamelessly resorted to Busytown bribery for green bean eating, baths, and whatever else we needed him to do. The anticipation of the spin...would the pigs steal another picnic food? And what food would they eat? The "bug cards"...what would we be racing the timer to find? We watched as he learned to count spaces on the game board, remembered where the elusive banana peels were hiding, and waited his turn to spin...and we were three again, seeing the magic through his eyes. It was just so much fun.
on May 20, 2017
This is a fantastic game for young children - very well thought out.

Each player chooses a character to move around the board, and on each spin either moves a number of places or gets a "gold bug" which means they select a card with an item on it that all players must try to find on the board. Then, for example, if they find 3 traffic lights, all players move forward 3 places. In this way teamwork is promoted.

The game goes on but doesn't have one winner - all players must make it to the "Picnic Island" end of the board together before the pigs eat all their food. The fact that everyone wins together really encourages older siblings/friends to help the little ones along.

I highly recommend this game.
on May 21, 2016
This game has great potential, but it's a bit too complicated for the guys (4 & 3) at the moment. It is fun that it is sooo big, but that is also a downfall as they don't even know where to begin to look for the items on the cards. Also, because it is so big, the board folds into itself and it fits together like puzzle pieces once you open it up. Well, one of the folded over pieces of game board (not puzzle side) already broke apart. I realize this is bound to happen with games, but it was literally on our first use. Overall, I think this is one where the kids do need to be at least 4 to play.
on January 25, 2017
Since buying Richard Scarry's Busytown, we have played the board game as a family at least three times a week! My four-year-old enjoys spinning the wheel to take a turn, counting the number of spaces her character is allowed to move, and giving away picnic food to the pigs. Most of all, she likes searching the board game for hidden objects.

The game board is more than six feet long. It comes in three pieces that connect like a puzzle. At first, we tried playing the game on our kitchen table. This did not work very well when going on a Goldbug Mystery in search of a hidden object -- so we now set-up the game board on the floor. This allows us to more easily search for hidden gems (without having our little one sitting on or laying on the table in search of objects).

Although the game board comes with a sand timer, we currently do not use it. We have found that it often takes us longer to find an object than the sand timer allows. So, we modified the rules and currently take our time looking for hidden objects as a team.

We like that this is a team game, so all of the payers win or lose the game together. This allows everyone to celebrate a victory together or learn from a defeat.

Overall, this is a great board game that is teaching my daughter patience, how to take turns, and simple math, among other things. I intend to buy this game for others as a gift.
on January 5, 2017
FANTASTIC!! My 3 yr old really enjoys this game and I do too. (essential to keep mom sane) The game does everything it promises. Turn taking, cooperation, searching for items {some are really easy, many are tricky and some are down right tough} We didn't use the timer for the "search" portion of the game since she is just learning the concept. She enjoys the hunt across the giant board for each item the Gold Bug tells us to find. Hands down AWESOME.
We have Racoon Rumpus, Sneaky Snacky Squirrel, Hoppy Floppy's Hunt and Curious George's Discovery Beach. This game is THE BEST and second place goes to Curious George in our house.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.