Workplace Solutions Editors' Holiday Gift Picks Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Gifts for Him hgg16 Get up to $100 back on House Cleaning services LostinOz LostinOz LostinOz  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Outdoor Deals on Amazon

Showing 1-10 of 715 reviews(verified purchases). Show all reviews
on November 29, 2011
I didn't know if my hyper-competitive 6 and 8 year old would enjoy a cooperative game, but I was pleasantly surprised that they did. My 4 year old was in heaven--both that she was playing a game with her brothers, and that they all won and beat the pigs from eating all of the food on picnic island.

Be forewarned that you need a big space for this--the game board is six feet long. I do think the gigantic game board is part of the appeal for the kids. Basically, it's like a seek-and-find. You spin a spinner--and you'll either get a certain number of spaces to move, a pig who eats food off of picnic island (six items), or a mystery card (goldenbug I think it's called). If you land on the mystery spot, you draw a card which is what everybody is looking for, such as a clock. You're limited by the timer. You then put these little orange plastic magnifying glasses on each target object you find (say clocks). Then you count up the objects and *everybody* gets to move that many spaces. There's a barge that takes everybody to picnic island, and it cannot move until all the players are there...so that's how everybody wins.

I don't think it took very long to play...maybe 15 minutes or so for a game?

If the price is more than twenty dollars, add it to your cart and just watch it. Seems to fluctuate a lot!
22 comments| 102 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 5, 2010
I purchased this for my son on his third birthday. He is a very active little guy and I wasn't sure how he'd do with a board game, but found this to be a very gentle introduction to all of the basics--using a spinner, moving pieces on the board, the object of a game (get to picnic island before the pigs eat the food), etc. He loves this game. He would play it 10 times each day if he had someone to play with him. Now, at 3 1/2, he's really playing well. Great starter game.
on January 1, 2012
Busy Town has quickly established itself as a family favorite and our three- and five-year old absolutely LOVE it. They're not quite old enough to play it without supervision, but after a few weeks with this game, I wouldn't be surprised if they're playing by themselves in the next 6 months or so. Right now, we play it as a family - the goal is a "team victory" and it's far less competitive than many other games. Even our 20-month old cooperates and helps out, often holding the timer or "removing a piece of food from the picnic blanket" when the game calls for it.

We've purchased or received three other boardgames for our family in the last couple of months and none have been as enjoyable and educational as this one. There are two that I would recommend against: (1) Chutes and Ladders Disney Princess was beloved for a few days by our daughter, but has been largely forgotten; and (2) Candyland - The World of Sweets Board Game is not as durable and while the kids enjoy it, mom and dad do not. The other game that we WOULD RECOMMEND is Sequence for Kids. The kids love the Sequence game and there's enough strategy involved that mom and dad stay engaged. It's probably a little bit too advanced for our kids and the overall educational value is probably not as high as Busy Town, but it's also a five-star recommendation from us and we're enjoying it immensely.

Educational value on Busy Town is high as the game is good at getting our kids to count the number of spaces they need to move, doing basic math for determining how many they need to get, searching for certain objects, and building vocabulary as we talk about the different objects on the board. The board is huge - stretching out 6 feet - and everything is very durable. We lay it out on the floor and all move around as we're searching for the objects. Highly recommended for 3-8 year olds and for family play!!
on April 10, 2016
Fun game! Quick and pretty easy. Our 5 year old loves it!
review image
on November 6, 2011
I bought this game to entertain elementary students at all age levels and it was perfect. The kids have so much fun with it. It is easy to explain and Kindergarten kids can enjoy it as much as a 3rd grader. It also helps with vocabulary as they have to focus on particular items on the board. I also like it because it is a team effort and either everyone or no one wins which avoids the bad moods and tantrums.
on July 7, 2016
This is a lot of fun. I always loved all the Richard Scarry characters as a kid, and I was happy to share this big board of his artwork with my 4 year-old. The game is fun, and I like that it is a cooperative game that has you either all winning or all losing together. It makes our family game time more enjoyable because we can root for each other as a team. I think cooperative games teach teamwork in this manner, and they are better preparation for school and work where collaboration and attainment of a common goal are more important than personal glory at the expense of other students and co-workers. Of course, competitive games are better preparation for sports and other hobbies.

I went a little off the rails, but the gameplay here is fun. You have to find a random item, like buckets or ladders. As an adult I can remember where they are better than my little one, but it is still a fun exercise and she gets very excited when she finds a few of the mystery item. The board really is big, and I am still finding new things on it each time we play. It's a very cute game with good replayability. games generally take us about 20 minutes, and that's perfect for her attention span.
on January 4, 2013
The game is constructed of quality materials, which is good for small children.
My grand-daughter's interest in the game was high. She wanted to play several times in a row.
This may be better for a little younger children since it is not a competitive game. All the players are working toward the same goal and toward the end of the "route" to the picnic, must wait for all players' pieces to reach "the ferry" before everyone can move on together. Your opponent is the pig brothers eating all the food at the picnic. You must get there before they eat it all by spinning and moving up the game board the designated number of spaces. You can either spin a number (you move ahead), a goldbug card (you turn over a card and have x amt of time to look for as many of the item as you can on the board), or a pig eats (you remove one item from the picnic blanket). The problem I foresee with this game is that once you have played a bunch of times, you will know where to find all the goldbug items fairly easily within the time alotted. The challenge will be gone and since everyone moves the number of items found, the game will be over in no time.
While it is entertaining, I think the price is a bit much for something that will get old over time.
on November 23, 2016
Firstly my grand daughter is 3 years old.
She loves this game, sure it's a board game, no electronic bells and whistles but it's nice to go back to basic's.

She can set up the game by herself and spins it all herself..
When she hits the pigs she says "PLEASE DON'T HIT MY PIGS" and gets food from picnic island (which is the finish line of this cooperative race).
When she hits the Gold Bug she says "NOW LOOK FOR BARRELS!" She may be too young to find everything on the map but she does like the game and is excited to play. She is just getting the shortcut concept can help you win and is excited to land on it.
She loves the the Apple Car the best.
I do feel that the game is balanced towards winning if you help your child, of course. While played the game a dozen times I think it's perfect for her age group, 3/4 but for any older kids it may not be advanced enough.
on July 5, 2016
The simplicity of this game is one of the things that made it so appealing to our family. Our children are very close in age (5,4, and 3) and so we often need games and activities that allow all three to participate. The basic concept of this game is a search and find. It's nice because all of the teams/players work together and you either all win or all lose. I'm not one that thinks losing is a bad thing and I certainly want to teach my children how to be a good loser but this game offers a nice change of pace from that. I can see where some may find this game a bit too easy in that once you've played it a few times, you begin to remember where certain things are and that takes some of the fun away. But after it's been in the closet a while it is like playing it for the first time. We all enjoy finding it and everyone cheers when we land on the magnifying glass to do the searches!
on June 9, 2016
This is the BEST toddler game EVER! We got this for my son's 3rd birthday (he enjoys the Richard Scarry books and loves hidden pictures) and I seriously can't believe how much fun it is to play with him. The object of the game is to get to picnic island before the pigs eat all the food, all together, it's cooperative so everyone wins or loses together. On the spinner there's "pigs eat" and you take away a picnic item every time, there's also numbers of course for moving ahead spaces, but the best is the goldbug cards--- that's when you find hidden pictures on the board game and however many everyone finds together, you all move that many spaces. Since we got this 2 months ago we have purchased it for 3 other friends' 3rd birthdays, everyone has loved it!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.