Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 827 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,018 reviews
on April 10, 2016
Fun game! Quick and pretty easy. Our 5 year old loves it!
review image
on January 1, 2012
Busy Town has quickly established itself as a family favorite and our three- and five-year old absolutely LOVE it. They're not quite old enough to play it without supervision, but after a few weeks with this game, I wouldn't be surprised if they're playing by themselves in the next 6 months or so. Right now, we play it as a family - the goal is a "team victory" and it's far less competitive than many other games. Even our 20-month old cooperates and helps out, often holding the timer or "removing a piece of food from the picnic blanket" when the game calls for it.

We've purchased or received three other boardgames for our family in the last couple of months and none have been as enjoyable and educational as this one. There are two that I would recommend against: (1) Chutes and Ladders Disney Princess was beloved for a few days by our daughter, but has been largely forgotten; and (2) Candyland - The World of Sweets Board Game is not as durable and while the kids enjoy it, mom and dad do not. The other game that we WOULD RECOMMEND is Sequence for Kids. The kids love the Sequence game and there's enough strategy involved that mom and dad stay engaged. It's probably a little bit too advanced for our kids and the overall educational value is probably not as high as Busy Town, but it's also a five-star recommendation from us and we're enjoying it immensely.

Educational value on Busy Town is high as the game is good at getting our kids to count the number of spaces they need to move, doing basic math for determining how many they need to get, searching for certain objects, and building vocabulary as we talk about the different objects on the board. The board is huge - stretching out 6 feet - and everything is very durable. We lay it out on the floor and all move around as we're searching for the objects. Highly recommended for 3-8 year olds and for family play!!
VINE VOICEon March 29, 2017
I bought this as a Valentine's Day present for my 4 1/2 year old daughter and she loves this! She loves the Richard Scarry book "Cars and Trucks and Things That Go" (and specifically Goldbug) and this game has many of the same signature characters in it. In the box, you get the board which is in 3 pieces that you lock together like a puzzle, a timer, 4 large character movers, a spinner, 10 mini plastic orange magnifying glasses, a cardboard boat and cardboard food, and Goldbug mystery cards. I like that this game is a cooperative game in that there isn't one winner - you work as a team to find the objects on the board using the timer, which is great for the preschool set.

To play you spin the spinner and if you spin a number, you move that number of spaces. If you spin Goldbug, you take a Goldbug mystery card and search for that object as a team all around the huge 6 foot long board (this is not a table game because of the size) and try to find as many of that object as you can together, putting a magnifying glass on the ones you find before the timer runs out. Everyone moves the number of spaces per object found. For instance, if you find 4 wrenches, everyone moves 4 spaces forward and then remove the magnifying glasses. If you spin "Pigs Eat" you take away one of the cardboard foods on the picnic blanket at the end of the board. At the end of the board path, there is a cardboard boat and all players have to get on before the boat can move to try to make it to the Picnic Island before the pigs eat all the food.

We really love this game and it's great quality time and builds cooperation skills, thinking skills, and searching skills. The board itself is made pretty sturdily but you do have to fold the board to put it back in the box, so over time it does have the potential to get torn or split. I wish that they'd make the board thicker and just make it more than 3 puzzle pieces so you wouldn't have to fold it. I love that all the familiar characters are present and searching for the objects for Goldbug mysteries is actually quite challenging, even for adults, because the board is so busy with so many images on it. My daughter doesn't find it frustrating or overwhelming because she usually ends up finding more than me! Because there are so many objects to find, you really can't memorize where they are which keeps it challenging. I originally thought it would be better if the objects on the mystery cards would be printed in color instead of black and white, but I think they did that because the object isn't always the same colors on the board. Overall, this is made really well and lots of fun for our family to play!
on January 2, 2017
My kids love Richard Scarry's Busytown and this was bought for them for Christmas. The game point of the game is to get to the picnic area before the pigs eat all the food. There is not competition between players but against the "pigs" so this is a definite plus when playing with siblings. The youngest player goes first which is always a big hit for the youngest in the group. Each player gets a turn to spin and get either a number of spaces to advance, a choice of food to take from Picnic Island or to solve a GoldBug mystery. The GoldBug mystery consists of looking all over the 6-foot board for the object pictured on the GoldBug card. For every object you find you place a magnifying glass on it. The amount of objects you find is the amount of spaces everyone moves towards the ferry to go to Picnic Island.

My kids love this game, however, it is above both the five year old and the two year olds (almost three) level of finding skills. I say this because the egg timer that comes with it runs an estimate of one minute. There is a lot of board to look at with only one minute of looking. Even with me helping the kids we were not able to find many objects within the time frame. While this will help make the game stay fresh for longer, the elder child got frustrated and the two year old lost interest. While the game says for 3 and up I personally think that the game is probably a better fit for at least five year olds and those that have a good attention span.

The construction of the game was very sturdy and all pieces are well made. The colors are bright and the board is indeed very "busy". A con of the construction is that there are a lot of little pieces that can easily be lost, however, that is the only con regarding the design of this game. I gave four stars instead of five because of the time frame in which objects had to be found and because of my perception of the actual age group the game is directed at ( 5 versus 3).
on May 26, 2014
Cooperative games are a fairly new invention in modern board games. They really started with adult family games like Pandemic and then have now started appearing more and more in the younger children's market. It is a welcome trend. Competitive games are great for teaching social skills like remaining happy when losing, but cooperative games have an even more positive effect I believe. Teamwork is a more important skill to practice and you can still practice losing happily if your team doesn't beat the game.

This game works kind of like a where's Waldo adaptation. Richard Scarry books have often featured a find Goldbug activity in them and this game turns that observational practice into a timed team event.

First of all the board game is HUGE! The space is filled with loads of Richard Scarry type drawings illustrating an entire town. Players are trying to move all their character pieces to a picnic. To do this they end up having to find as many examples of randomly selected items as they can before a timer runs out. The more objects everyone finds the further the characters can move. Players place small plastic magnifying glasses on top of examples of whatever item they are looking for. If the all the characters don't get there fast enough the ants will cart away the picnic food and the board game wins.

My children (5 and 8) have had this game for about a year and a half and enjoy it, although there are other more strategic games they enjoy more and pull out more often now. I also enjoy playing this game with them. It holds all of our attention when we play.

Practicing observational skills is important for preschool children especially, but older elementary school aged students will also enjoy playing it with their preschool siblings. After preschool and kindergarten it really loses its possible educational benefits. Three to five year olds are the real target audience for this game. I would recommend this for preschool or kindergarten classroom use. The components should hold up fine for that use and it will be a hit game with them.
on January 24, 2016
This is an absolutely great game. I have wanted to get away from competitive, I win, you lose games but have found that some that I had bought were of absolute no interest to my 3-year old. But this is amazing. You all work together to get to picnic island and if you take too long the pigs are eating the food (but who can blame them? It isn't because their bad, their just hungry!) It is so gripping that after playing it tonight FIVE times, my toddler cried when we finally said we would have to pack it up! I HIGHLY recommend this game and will be telling all my toddler mom's about it. Oh, and I didn't mention that my kid also get to practice counting and observation skills and planning but really the best is that it is just SO MUCH FUN!!
on July 5, 2016
The simplicity of this game is one of the things that made it so appealing to our family. Our children are very close in age (5,4, and 3) and so we often need games and activities that allow all three to participate. The basic concept of this game is a search and find. It's nice because all of the teams/players work together and you either all win or all lose. I'm not one that thinks losing is a bad thing and I certainly want to teach my children how to be a good loser but this game offers a nice change of pace from that. I can see where some may find this game a bit too easy in that once you've played it a few times, you begin to remember where certain things are and that takes some of the fun away. But after it's been in the closet a while it is like playing it for the first time. We all enjoy finding it and everyone cheers when we land on the magnifying glass to do the searches!
on July 7, 2016
This is a lot of fun. I always loved all the Richard Scarry characters as a kid, and I was happy to share this big board of his artwork with my 4 year-old. The game is fun, and I like that it is a cooperative game that has you either all winning or all losing together. It makes our family game time more enjoyable because we can root for each other as a team. I think cooperative games teach teamwork in this manner, and they are better preparation for school and work where collaboration and attainment of a common goal are more important than personal glory at the expense of other students and co-workers. Of course, competitive games are better preparation for sports and other hobbies.

I went a little off the rails, but the gameplay here is fun. You have to find a random item, like buckets or ladders. As an adult I can remember where they are better than my little one, but it is still a fun exercise and she gets very excited when she finds a few of the mystery item. The board really is big, and I am still finding new things on it each time we play. It's a very cute game with good replayability. games generally take us about 20 minutes, and that's perfect for her attention span.
on June 9, 2016
This is the BEST toddler game EVER! We got this for my son's 3rd birthday (he enjoys the Richard Scarry books and loves hidden pictures) and I seriously can't believe how much fun it is to play with him. The object of the game is to get to picnic island before the pigs eat all the food, all together, it's cooperative so everyone wins or loses together. On the spinner there's "pigs eat" and you take away a picnic item every time, there's also numbers of course for moving ahead spaces, but the best is the goldbug cards--- that's when you find hidden pictures on the board game and however many everyone finds together, you all move that many spaces. Since we got this 2 months ago we have purchased it for 3 other friends' 3rd birthdays, everyone has loved it!
on March 19, 2017
Even if your kids are not already fans of R.Scarry's Busy Town books and characters, there is a lot here to like here for kids aged 3-5.

The game board is sized 6+ feet long and packed with objects to hurry and find. The scenes are Where's Waldo-like in their detail and my 3 year old has enjoyed trying to beat the timer while trying to find the items scattered all over the game board. She hasn't mastered all the rules but seems to pick up a bit more each time we play.

The game has replay value for kids, and all the game's pieces are constructed of durable quality so I'm very happy with the purchase.

I grew up with R.Scarry, and am happy my girls also enjoy the books, and now this game.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.