Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services whiteprincess whiteprincess whiteprincess  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 814 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,004 reviews
on April 10, 2016
Fun game! Quick and pretty easy. Our 5 year old loves it!
review image
on January 1, 2012
Busy Town has quickly established itself as a family favorite and our three- and five-year old absolutely LOVE it. They're not quite old enough to play it without supervision, but after a few weeks with this game, I wouldn't be surprised if they're playing by themselves in the next 6 months or so. Right now, we play it as a family - the goal is a "team victory" and it's far less competitive than many other games. Even our 20-month old cooperates and helps out, often holding the timer or "removing a piece of food from the picnic blanket" when the game calls for it.

We've purchased or received three other boardgames for our family in the last couple of months and none have been as enjoyable and educational as this one. There are two that I would recommend against: (1) Chutes and Ladders Disney Princess was beloved for a few days by our daughter, but has been largely forgotten; and (2) Candyland - The World of Sweets Board Game is not as durable and while the kids enjoy it, mom and dad do not. The other game that we WOULD RECOMMEND is Sequence for Kids. The kids love the Sequence game and there's enough strategy involved that mom and dad stay engaged. It's probably a little bit too advanced for our kids and the overall educational value is probably not as high as Busy Town, but it's also a five-star recommendation from us and we're enjoying it immensely.

Educational value on Busy Town is high as the game is good at getting our kids to count the number of spaces they need to move, doing basic math for determining how many they need to get, searching for certain objects, and building vocabulary as we talk about the different objects on the board. The board is huge - stretching out 6 feet - and everything is very durable. We lay it out on the floor and all move around as we're searching for the objects. Highly recommended for 3-8 year olds and for family play!!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon March 13, 2017
Based on all the great reviews, I thought this would be a 'can't miss' kind of game. Sadly, it seems to have missed in our household. There are a few major flaws with this game that unfortunately I didn't see discussed in any of the reviews I read.

Here's the premise of the game: Everyone takes turns spinning the spinner. It either a) tells you how many spaces to move, b) has you remove a food from the pigs' picnic blanket (if all the food is removed the game is over) or c) has you turn over a Goldbug Card. Each Goldbug card has a picture and corresponding word on it (ex: barrels, flags, cones, numbers, etc). You have a minute to find as many of that item on the game board as possible. When the minute is over, everyone moves forward based on how many of the item were found. Everyone moves the same number, which is supposed to create teamwork and cooperation.

Negatives:

1. This board is easy to memorize. After playing this game a few times my kids have memorized where tons of items are on the board. It's not much of a look-and-find after the first few times you play it.

2. Though this game is supposed to be about co-operation, my kids always seem to make this into a competition about who can find more items. That wouldn't necessarily happen to every child who plays this, but I can't imagine my kids are the only ones who are competitive about something like this. They actually argue more during this game than almost any other board game we have.

Positives:

1. This game is very simple and can be played by all ages.

Obviously this game is loved by many, but be warned it's not perfect and won't work in every single household! Since it worked for so many people it may still be worth a try.
VINE VOICEon March 29, 2017
I bought this as a Valentine's Day present for my 4 1/2 year old daughter and she loves this! She loves the Richard Scarry book "Cars and Trucks and Things That Go" (and specifically Goldbug) and this game has many of the same signature characters in it. In the box, you get the board which is in 3 pieces that you lock together like a puzzle, a timer, 4 large character movers, a spinner, 10 mini plastic orange magnifying glasses, a cardboard boat and cardboard food, and Goldbug mystery cards. I like that this game is a cooperative game in that there isn't one winner - you work as a team to find the objects on the board using the timer, which is great for the preschool set.

To play you spin the spinner and if you spin a number, you move that number of spaces. If you spin Goldbug, you take a Goldbug mystery card and search for that object as a team all around the huge 6 foot long board (this is not a table game because of the size) and try to find as many of that object as you can together, putting a magnifying glass on the ones you find before the timer runs out. Everyone moves the number of spaces per object found. For instance, if you find 4 wrenches, everyone moves 4 spaces forward and then remove the magnifying glasses. If you spin "Pigs Eat" you take away one of the cardboard foods on the picnic blanket at the end of the board. At the end of the board path, there is a cardboard boat and all players have to get on before the boat can move to try to make it to the Picnic Island before the pigs eat all the food.

We really love this game and it's great quality time and builds cooperation skills, thinking skills, and searching skills. The board itself is made pretty sturdily but you do have to fold the board to put it back in the box, so over time it does have the potential to get torn or split. I wish that they'd make the board thicker and just make it more than 3 puzzle pieces so you wouldn't have to fold it. I love that all the familiar characters are present and searching for the objects for Goldbug mysteries is actually quite challenging, even for adults, because the board is so busy with so many images on it. My daughter doesn't find it frustrating or overwhelming because she usually ends up finding more than me! Because there are so many objects to find, you really can't memorize where they are which keeps it challenging. I originally thought it would be better if the objects on the mystery cards would be printed in color instead of black and white, but I think they did that because the object isn't always the same colors on the board. Overall, this is made really well and lots of fun for our family to play!
VINE VOICEon February 7, 2017
I purchased this game because of the raving reviews and my 3 year old has shown a huge interest in board games recently. He could play them all day.
What I like: the group activity "eye spy" with the little magnifying glasses, the long game board is neat, and trying to get to the island before the pigs eat all of the food.

What I don't like:
1. The spinner has two "pigs eat." Our spinner likes to land there, a lot. The first time we played, the pigs won before four of us had time for three full turns. (Now sometimes mom and dad secretly cheat 😬 with the spinner so the game doesn't end so quickly. Of course that defeats the purpose of playing fair and teaching children to play fair, which I will get to in dislike #2.)
2. This is kind of a huge issue with me. The game always ends with "everyone is a winner" and the premise of cooperation play. I'm not sure if I agree with this concept. It is a game for young children and I realize what a pain it is to teach children not to throw tantrums when they don't win and play fair. I've sat through many of those with my oldest, but the truth is not everyone wins, especially in real life.
When my oldest was learning board games, if he threw a tantrum that he didn't win or wasn't winning, we didn't play the game. Simple as that. It's a tough lesson, but that's just the way it is.
This game aggravates my now 11 year old for that reason. He couldn't understand the concept that "everyone wins," and asked what the point of the game was.
Overall, it's a good game for introduction of game play for little ones, but eventually, when you teach them to play other games or they play games in school, there will not be an "everyone wins" option.
on December 28, 2016
Excellent game for toddlers and preschoolers! This collaborative game (everyone works as a team) is so easy to learn and play. For two to four players, the game board is three piece, six foot long puzzle. After you set up the board, everyone has a marker. There are about ten magnifying glasses, a cardboard boat, six cardboard pieces of food, cards, a spinner, and a timer. The goal? Everyone has to make it to the boat and the boat has to make it to Picnic Island before the pigs eat all the food. The youngest person goes first.

Each player spins the spinner. The arrow lands on either a Move, a Bug, or a Pig. If you spin to a Move, you move your marker that many spaces and the next player goes. If you spin to a Pig, the Pigs "eat" one picnic food item and you take one food items away and spin again. If you spin to a bug, you pull a card. When you pull the card, you have to look throughout the game board for those items (almost Where's Waldo style). For example, if you pull a card with pictures of "balloons", you set the timer and look all around the game board for balloons. You use the magnifying glasses to mark that you've found one. When the timer is up you count how many "balloons" you found and all players move that many spaces. So if you found three balloons, everyone moves three spaces. Once everyone lands on the boat, everyone takes turns to spin to move the boat to Picnic Island. So long as the pigs haven't eaten all the food, everyone wins!

This game is a great concept for kids who have issues with winning and losing. Especially at 3 and 4 years of age when other skills like patience, taking turns, and working together are my main focus for my son rather than learning to be a gracious loser (I hope to teach him this later). Focusing and patience are the skills that this game builds as my son loves being a helper and the idea that he is helping for everyone to win actually helps him to focus and be a little more patient. The game also helps with counting and memory. I am pleasantly surprised by this game and I highly recommend it!
on January 2, 2017
My kids love Richard Scarry's Busytown and this was bought for them for Christmas. The game point of the game is to get to the picnic area before the pigs eat all the food. There is not competition between players but against the "pigs" so this is a definite plus when playing with siblings. The youngest player goes first which is always a big hit for the youngest in the group. Each player gets a turn to spin and get either a number of spaces to advance, a choice of food to take from Picnic Island or to solve a GoldBug mystery. The GoldBug mystery consists of looking all over the 6-foot board for the object pictured on the GoldBug card. For every object you find you place a magnifying glass on it. The amount of objects you find is the amount of spaces everyone moves towards the ferry to go to Picnic Island.

My kids love this game, however, it is above both the five year old and the two year olds (almost three) level of finding skills. I say this because the egg timer that comes with it runs an estimate of one minute. There is a lot of board to look at with only one minute of looking. Even with me helping the kids we were not able to find many objects within the time frame. While this will help make the game stay fresh for longer, the elder child got frustrated and the two year old lost interest. While the game says for 3 and up I personally think that the game is probably a better fit for at least five year olds and those that have a good attention span.

The construction of the game was very sturdy and all pieces are well made. The colors are bright and the board is indeed very "busy". A con of the construction is that there are a lot of little pieces that can easily be lost, however, that is the only con regarding the design of this game. I gave four stars instead of five because of the time frame in which objects had to be found and because of my perception of the actual age group the game is directed at ( 5 versus 3).
on January 24, 2016
This is an absolutely great game. I have wanted to get away from competitive, I win, you lose games but have found that some that I had bought were of absolute no interest to my 3-year old. But this is amazing. You all work together to get to picnic island and if you take too long the pigs are eating the food (but who can blame them? It isn't because their bad, their just hungry!) It is so gripping that after playing it tonight FIVE times, my toddler cried when we finally said we would have to pack it up! I HIGHLY recommend this game and will be telling all my toddler mom's about it. Oh, and I didn't mention that my kid also get to practice counting and observation skills and planning but really the best is that it is just SO MUCH FUN!!
on July 5, 2016
The simplicity of this game is one of the things that made it so appealing to our family. Our children are very close in age (5,4, and 3) and so we often need games and activities that allow all three to participate. The basic concept of this game is a search and find. It's nice because all of the teams/players work together and you either all win or all lose. I'm not one that thinks losing is a bad thing and I certainly want to teach my children how to be a good loser but this game offers a nice change of pace from that. I can see where some may find this game a bit too easy in that once you've played it a few times, you begin to remember where certain things are and that takes some of the fun away. But after it's been in the closet a while it is like playing it for the first time. We all enjoy finding it and everyone cheers when we land on the magnifying glass to do the searches!
on June 9, 2016
This is the BEST toddler game EVER! We got this for my son's 3rd birthday (he enjoys the Richard Scarry books and loves hidden pictures) and I seriously can't believe how much fun it is to play with him. The object of the game is to get to picnic island before the pigs eat all the food, all together, it's cooperative so everyone wins or loses together. On the spinner there's "pigs eat" and you take away a picnic item every time, there's also numbers of course for moving ahead spaces, but the best is the goldbug cards--- that's when you find hidden pictures on the board game and however many everyone finds together, you all move that many spaces. Since we got this 2 months ago we have purchased it for 3 other friends' 3rd birthdays, everyone has loved it!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.