Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer STEM Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Shop Popular Services henriettalacks henriettalacks henriettalacks  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 803 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 992 reviews
on April 10, 2016
Fun game! Quick and pretty easy. Our 5 year old loves it!
review image
on January 1, 2012
Busy Town has quickly established itself as a family favorite and our three- and five-year old absolutely LOVE it. They're not quite old enough to play it without supervision, but after a few weeks with this game, I wouldn't be surprised if they're playing by themselves in the next 6 months or so. Right now, we play it as a family - the goal is a "team victory" and it's far less competitive than many other games. Even our 20-month old cooperates and helps out, often holding the timer or "removing a piece of food from the picnic blanket" when the game calls for it.

We've purchased or received three other boardgames for our family in the last couple of months and none have been as enjoyable and educational as this one. There are two that I would recommend against: (1) Chutes and Ladders Disney Princess was beloved for a few days by our daughter, but has been largely forgotten; and (2) Candyland - The World of Sweets Board Game is not as durable and while the kids enjoy it, mom and dad do not. The other game that we WOULD RECOMMEND is Sequence for Kids. The kids love the Sequence game and there's enough strategy involved that mom and dad stay engaged. It's probably a little bit too advanced for our kids and the overall educational value is probably not as high as Busy Town, but it's also a five-star recommendation from us and we're enjoying it immensely.

Educational value on Busy Town is high as the game is good at getting our kids to count the number of spaces they need to move, doing basic math for determining how many they need to get, searching for certain objects, and building vocabulary as we talk about the different objects on the board. The board is huge - stretching out 6 feet - and everything is very durable. We lay it out on the floor and all move around as we're searching for the objects. Highly recommended for 3-8 year olds and for family play!!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon March 13, 2017
Based on all the great reviews, I thought this would be a 'can't miss' kind of game. Sadly, it seems to have missed in our household. There are a few major flaws with this game that unfortunately I didn't see discussed in any of the reviews I read.

Here's the premise of the game: Everyone takes turns spinning the spinner. It either a) tells you how many spaces to move, b) has you remove a food from the pigs' picnic blanket (if all the food is removed the game is over) or c) has you turn over a Goldbug Card. Each Goldbug card has a picture and corresponding word on it (ex: barrels, flags, cones, numbers, etc). You have a minute to find as many of that item on the game board as possible. When the minute is over, everyone moves forward based on how many of the item were found. Everyone moves the same number, which is supposed to create teamwork and cooperation.

Negatives:

1. This board is easy to memorize. After playing this game a few times my kids have memorized where tons of items are on the board. It's not much of a look-and-find after the first few times you play it.

2. Though this game is supposed to be about co-operation, my kids always seem to make this into a competition about who can find more items. That wouldn't necessarily happen to every child who plays this, but I can't imagine my kids are the only ones who are competitive about something like this. They actually argue more during this game than almost any other board game we have.

Positives:

1. This game is very simple and can be played by all ages.

Obviously this game is loved by many, but be warned it's not perfect and won't work in every single household! Since it worked for so many people it may still be worth a try.
VINE VOICEon March 29, 2017
I bought this as a Valentine's Day present for my 4 1/2 year old daughter and she loves this! She loves the Richard Scarry book "Cars and Trucks and Things That Go" (and specifically Goldbug) and this game has many of the same signature characters in it. In the box, you get the board which is in 3 pieces that you lock together like a puzzle, a timer, 4 large character movers, a spinner, 10 mini plastic orange magnifying glasses, a cardboard boat and cardboard food, and Goldbug mystery cards. I like that this game is a cooperative game in that there isn't one winner - you work as a team to find the objects on the board using the timer, which is great for the preschool set.

To play you spin the spinner and if you spin a number, you move that number of spaces. If you spin Goldbug, you take a Goldbug mystery card and search for that object as a team all around the huge 6 foot long board (this is not a table game because of the size) and try to find as many of that object as you can together, putting a magnifying glass on the ones you find before the timer runs out. Everyone moves the number of spaces per object found. For instance, if you find 4 wrenches, everyone moves 4 spaces forward and then remove the magnifying glasses. If you spin "Pigs Eat" you take away one of the cardboard foods on the picnic blanket at the end of the board. At the end of the board path, there is a cardboard boat and all players have to get on before the boat can move to try to make it to the Picnic Island before the pigs eat all the food.

We really love this game and it's great quality time and builds cooperation skills, thinking skills, and searching skills. The board itself is made pretty sturdily but you do have to fold the board to put it back in the box, so over time it does have the potential to get torn or split. I wish that they'd make the board thicker and just make it more than 3 puzzle pieces so you wouldn't have to fold it. I love that all the familiar characters are present and searching for the objects for Goldbug mysteries is actually quite challenging, even for adults, because the board is so busy with so many images on it. My daughter doesn't find it frustrating or overwhelming because she usually ends up finding more than me! Because there are so many objects to find, you really can't memorize where they are which keeps it challenging. I originally thought it would be better if the objects on the mystery cards would be printed in color instead of black and white, but I think they did that because the object isn't always the same colors on the board. Overall, this is made really well and lots of fun for our family to play!
VINE VOICEon February 7, 2017
I purchased this game because of the raving reviews and my 3 year old has shown a huge interest in board games recently. He could play them all day.
What I like: the group activity "eye spy" with the little magnifying glasses, the long game board is neat, and trying to get to the island before the pigs eat all of the food.

What I don't like:
1. The spinner has two "pigs eat." Our spinner likes to land there, a lot. The first time we played, the pigs won before four of us had time for three full turns. (Now sometimes mom and dad secretly cheat 😬 with the spinner so the game doesn't end so quickly. Of course that defeats the purpose of playing fair and teaching children to play fair, which I will get to in dislike #2.)
2. This is kind of a huge issue with me. The game always ends with "everyone is a winner" and the premise of cooperation play. I'm not sure if I agree with this concept. It is a game for young children and I realize what a pain it is to teach children not to throw tantrums when they don't win and play fair. I've sat through many of those with my oldest, but the truth is not everyone wins, especially in real life.
When my oldest was learning board games, if he threw a tantrum that he didn't win or wasn't winning, we didn't play the game. Simple as that. It's a tough lesson, but that's just the way it is.
This game aggravates my now 11 year old for that reason. He couldn't understand the concept that "everyone wins," and asked what the point of the game was.
Overall, it's a good game for introduction of game play for little ones, but eventually, when you teach them to play other games or they play games in school, there will not be an "everyone wins" option.
on December 28, 2016
Excellent game for toddlers and preschoolers! This collaborative game (everyone works as a team) is so easy to learn and play. For two to four players, the game board is three piece, six foot long puzzle. After you set up the board, everyone has a marker. There are about ten magnifying glasses, a cardboard boat, six cardboard pieces of food, cards, a spinner, and a timer. The goal? Everyone has to make it to the boat and the boat has to make it to Picnic Island before the pigs eat all the food. The youngest person goes first.

Each player spins the spinner. The arrow lands on either a Move, a Bug, or a Pig. If you spin to a Move, you move your marker that many spaces and the next player goes. If you spin to a Pig, the Pigs "eat" one picnic food item and you take one food items away and spin again. If you spin to a bug, you pull a card. When you pull the card, you have to look throughout the game board for those items (almost Where's Waldo style). For example, if you pull a card with pictures of "balloons", you set the timer and look all around the game board for balloons. You use the magnifying glasses to mark that you've found one. When the timer is up you count how many "balloons" you found and all players move that many spaces. So if you found three balloons, everyone moves three spaces. Once everyone lands on the boat, everyone takes turns to spin to move the boat to Picnic Island. So long as the pigs haven't eaten all the food, everyone wins!

This game is a great concept for kids who have issues with winning and losing. Especially at 3 and 4 years of age when other skills like patience, taking turns, and working together are my main focus for my son rather than learning to be a gracious loser (I hope to teach him this later). Focusing and patience are the skills that this game builds as my son loves being a helper and the idea that he is helping for everyone to win actually helps him to focus and be a little more patient. The game also helps with counting and memory. I am pleasantly surprised by this game and I highly recommend it!
on April 18, 2017
We have a few cooperative games, but my eldest doesn't care about the goal, and loses interest. I wanted a game all three of us could play together. (My son is 3, my daughter is 4.5.) We loved this game! I had them move quickly so as not to lose interest. (In other words, as soon as one turn was done I handed the spinner to the next person.) We had SO MUCH FUN looking for the items on the Goldbug cards! The drawings are so charming, as always. Usually my daughter would see one item, and then I would see one, and then I would help the 3 y/o find one. But he was proud to put his magnifying glass on it. And everyone loved the picnic idea. You get six food tokens (cute drawings) and if your spinner lands on "pigs eat" you take one item away. Whoever landed on "pigs eat" got to choose which picnic item was eaten. I also appreciate that there are shortcuts, but no "slides" or setbacks. I am 41 and I still remember how discouraging it was to go down a slide in chutes and ladders.

This game is a real cooperative challenge, and I can't believe I'm saying this, but it's for the whole family. We played twice today, and only stopped to get ready for bed. (My 3 year old said he was "off our team" for the second time we played. He played with some toys in the same room. I asked him to come help for the Goldbug cards, which he did and enjoyed.
on July 7, 2016
This is a lot of fun. I always loved all the Richard Scarry characters as a kid, and I was happy to share this big board of his artwork with my 4 year-old. The game is fun, and I like that it is a cooperative game that has you either all winning or all losing together. It makes our family game time more enjoyable because we can root for each other as a team. I think cooperative games teach teamwork in this manner, and they are better preparation for school and work where collaboration and attainment of a common goal are more important than personal glory at the expense of other students and co-workers. Of course, competitive games are better preparation for sports and other hobbies.

I went a little off the rails, but the gameplay here is fun. You have to find a random item, like buckets or ladders. As an adult I can remember where they are better than my little one, but it is still a fun exercise and she gets very excited when she finds a few of the mystery item. The board really is big, and I am still finding new things on it each time we play. It's a very cute game with good replayability. games generally take us about 20 minutes, and that's perfect for her attention span.
on March 19, 2017
Even if your kids are not already fans of R.Scarry's Busy Town books and characters, there is a lot here to like here for kids aged 3-5.

The game board is sized 6+ feet long and packed with objects to hurry and find. The scenes are Where's Waldo-like in their detail and my 3 year old has enjoyed trying to beat the timer while trying to find the items scattered all over the game board. She hasn't mastered all the rules but seems to pick up a bit more each time we play.

The game has replay value for kids, and all the game's pieces are constructed of durable quality so I'm very happy with the purchase.

I grew up with R.Scarry, and am happy my girls also enjoy the books, and now this game.
on November 23, 2016
Firstly my grand daughter is 3 years old.
She loves this game, sure it's a board game, no electronic bells and whistles but it's nice to go back to basic's.

She can set up the game by herself and spins it all herself..
When she hits the pigs she says "PLEASE DON'T HIT MY PIGS" and gets food from picnic island (which is the finish line of this cooperative race).
When she hits the Gold Bug she says "NOW LOOK FOR BARRELS!" She may be too young to find everything on the map but she does like the game and is excited to play. She is just getting the shortcut concept can help you win and is excited to land on it.
She loves the the Apple Car the best.
I do feel that the game is balanced towards winning if you help your child, of course. While played the game a dozen times I think it's perfect for her age group, 3/4 but for any older kids it may not be advanced enough.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.