Hill Climb Racing 2 BCA Month Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now HTL17_gno

on March 27, 2014
This books is excellent. While it's impressed many new readers as well as critics, plenty WW purists are upset with the changes to her origins. So I wasn't sure what to expect. But honestly, I appreciate ALL the changes. I just wish they had kept her in pants instead of the impractical panties.

This volume is part of an extended arc which I really like - it's got stories within stores. It has sophisticated feel; unlike other comic series that feel very choppy with one huge plot after another, this one is like one really big story/mystery with small stories woven throughout. I really appreciate that consistency as it makes you care more about these characters and gives them more depth - even the ones you would normally write off as shallow. Azzarello is a great writer and has done some really good work here.

About the Amazons. The Amazons here are not a perfect society - which I find much more realistic. There is no such thing as utopia, and I always found it weird how a small and stagnant (though not so stagnant in all versions) society completely cut off from the rest of the world could be so presumptuous to think that they could teach the rest of the world how to live in peace. Peace is challenged by differences, and with so much uniformity among the Amazons, they're not exactly experts in dealing with those differences. (Example: When the Bana-Mighdall arrived at Themiscyra, civil war broke out.)

So while these new Amazons are not perfect and do commit morally reprehensible acts, I find them more "real" and interesting.

So what else? I really like that this book is apart from Justice League and the Superman/Wonder Woman series. I follow both of those as well, but WW is a character that can definitely support her own book without help from other characters. Also, her story simply has nothing to do with what's going on in the mainstream JL comic.

About the Artwork. I found Cliff Chiang's art very strange in the beginning. I don't know how to describe it properly, but it's kind of flat looking and...well it simply doesn't look anything like the art from other comic books. But now I love it! When I read a different series, I find myself missing his style. Once you get into it, you LOVE it. It's beautiful art - but takes a bit of getting used to. I hope Azzarello and Chiang stick together for this series because they are an excellent team.

SPOILERS alert!!! Instead of being formed from clay and gifted by the gods, Diana is Hyppolyta's daughter from an affair with Zeus. They use the original clay story as a cover story (to avoid Hera's wrath) which I thought was neat. While some people think it takes away what makes her unique, I think it makes more sense (although I never hated the other origin story). It also offers her a personal mystery which motivates her into seeking answers.

If you're new to Wonder Woman or looking for a good series to read from the New 52, then I definitely recommend this book. It's just much more interesting than other stories about her, and overall, I think it's my favorite series from the New 52. If you're a big WW fan but feel reluctant about all the changes you've heard about, I recommend that you give it a chance.

I've also read Wonder Woman: Odyssey Vol. 1 which is okay, but this is way better.
Enthusiast: Batmanon July 24, 2016
Though the New 52 had a number of controversial titles in it, Wonder Woman was one of the few that got a large amount of acclaim. and I decided to see if it lived up to the hype.

To put it bluntly, this volume barely feels like it belongs in the DC Universe. The entire focus of Wonder Woman's activities is her family, ie the Greek Pantheon. The Justice League is not even mentioned. But this is not necessarily a bad thing. Azzarello sets up a very large scale power struggle between all the Greek Gods, with Wonder Woman trying contain the damage. It's a decent read, and I think it will get even better in coming issues.
Cliff Chiang's artwork is unique and awesome! It's not complex but at the same time, the art does an amazing job at complementing the story. There are some pretty cool moments where no text is needed because all the emotion of the character can be seen through Chiang's artwork. It's good stuff! This book collects Wonder Woman New 52 #1-6 and Chiang does the art for #1-4. For issues 5 & 6, Tony Akins takes over as the artist and, unfortunately, doesn't keep the ball rolling as far as quality. In fact, the artwork takes a disappointing plunge into mediocrity. It's too bad because this is where the story reaches its epic climax. This is the nature of comics though. Different artists come in and out all the time and sometimes a bad artist have to sub in for a great ones. Other than that, the story itself is pretty engaging. There's a good mix of action and emotion. Good read overall.
on November 11, 2014
Spoilers but good info

I will admit when I first starting reading this volume I did not know what to expect. Out of all the DC hero's WW is the one I know least about. From what I gathered, before the new 52 her origin story was that her mother made her from clay. Here that changes... alot. The way they incorporated this magical birth in this version was cool. But when this was shown to be a myth i was taken back. The way they wrote it was so cool. WW's mother, who's womb was bare, wished for a daughter. One night she went out to a field and in the clay ground she molded a baby. And then the Gods gave her a child. That idea was awesome so when it was proven this was no true, I actually was bummed. Until I kept reading. Not only does this change her origin but it changes everything about her. They actions of her mother have ripple effects and you feel it through to the last page. Aside from all that, there seemed to a good balance of simple dialogue and combat. I am pleased that I decided to buy this volume and i will be getting volume 2 next month.
on June 28, 2014
In the new Wonder Woman series, Princess Diana (also known as the titular superheroine) finds out that she wasn’t really made out of clay by the queen of the Amazon kingdom, but rather is one of many results of Zeus’ philandering—indeed, that Zeus. She also has to protect a woman carrying another one of Zeus’ offspring from the jealous Hera. Speaking of deities, their heavy involvement lends a different air than is typically associated with DC Comics, a mythic one, which is nice. The deities’ appearances are the most creative aspects of the design work. The artwork itself is a bit uneven in regards to overall quality, but it is often clean and can be fairly detailed. The plot within this volume is effective in establishing a brawny, large-scale storyline ahead. From what I understand, longtime fans of Wonder Woman haven’t been very enthusiastic with the way Wonder Woman has been handled nowadays. If I may be honest, I like this new direction. I already have the next few volumes on my wishlist.
on July 30, 2017
This was an exciting start to what is a six-volume graphic novel storyline. The artwork in the first four issues collected in Volume 1 was dynamic and fun to look at, but issues five and six had a different artist and style which I found jarring and did not enjoy. But the story was engaging and I will be buying the second volume in this series.
on October 14, 2015
This story just didn't quite come together for me.
It has potential and I can see the series taking off...so I almost wanted to give it a higher rating.
But if Im judging this book alone...I think 3 is pretty accurate.

There is some good stuff in there, and some not that good of stuff too.
The story gets repetitive at times, and Wonder Woman hasn't proved to be that great of character yet.
She is just kind of caught up in all of this and is practically as much of an observer as the reader for a lot of it.

The ultimate reason I gave this as low of rating is that once I finished it...
I didn't get a feeling that I really have to get the next volume.
Too me, I think any comic series should have to begging for more at the end of issues/volumes.
Or whats the point of continuing the story when there are other great stories out there?
on December 12, 2013
I just love this comic so much. I've never read a Wonder Woman comic, and my only real pop culture experience with her is the animated DC movie from a few years ago (which, by the way, is awesome). I heard some good things about this and saw it was only $6 for the Kindle edition, so I figured why not?

I was not disappointed at all. This is such a fantastic start to the series and character. It's impressive how he manages to make it feel like you're jumping into the middle of Wonder Woman's story, while at the same time also feeling like this story is just beginning. You're never lost, but it's also not an origin story. Wonder Woman is Wonder Woman, and she arrive here nearly fully formed as you know her.

I also have to mention the artwork, which is crisp, unique, and beautiful. Everything is just so lovingly drawn that I eat up every single page.

Just great. I'm on Vol. 3: Iron now, which may just lead to me having to subscribe to the monthly comic. I've never in my life subscribed like that, ever, I've always just purchased volumes and collections like this. But this one is just that good.
on July 12, 2017
Okay - I don't love this, but the teacher whom I got it for during Secret Santa LOVED it! I just accidentally picked a winner, I guess. She kept saying what a great book it was - so I'll take her word for it since she's into that sort of thing!
on August 30, 2015
I really like what they're doing with Wonder Woman in the New 52. I dig the new origin, and this story is filled with strong and badass females. The only reason I'm not hooked on the series is because the stories don't blow me away and the art is too minimalist for my taste. It's not bad by any means, just not my cup of tea. STILL GREAT THOUGH!