Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Book House Cleaning siliconvalley siliconvalley siliconvalley  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,142 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,724 reviews
on October 22, 2000
This beautiful, oversize, lavishly illustrated Centennial Edition of L. Frank Baum's "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz" is a cornucopia of enjoyment for Oz fans. Edited by Oz expert Michael Patrick Hearn, it's annotated in a manner similar to Martin Gardner's "Annotated Alice" (Gardner contributes a preface outlining the history of the "The Annotated Wizard of Oz").
There's a hundred-page introduction, with lots of photos and color illustrations, covering Baum's life, his family, his non-Oz books, and the history of the Oz phenomenon (books, plays, musicals, movies, other Oz authors, and much more).
The story itself is reproduced from the 1900 edition. W.W. Denslow's original illustrations, including all 24 color plates, are here too. Hearn's notes are entertaining, informative and very extensive. For example, there are three double-columned pages dealing with Baum's brief one-page introduction alone!
Anyone who loves the Oz books will find countless hours of pleasure in this delightful book. It's well worth the price!
on December 22, 2003
I collect Robert Sabuda's books and love to give them as gifts. The copy I recently ordered was a disapointment.The tornado folded out parallel with the page instead of perpendicular to it. I compared it to my copy purchased last year and found it was printed in Colombia and assembled in Ecuador. The book I am reviewing here was made in China. What a shame. I would rather pay a little more for a quality pop-up book. I returned the book.
11 comment| 84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 11, 2016
I started reading "Oz" with my kids a couple of months ago for school. I decided to use an english curriculum that taught nouns, pronouns, and such to my seven-year-olds that revolved around using literature to learn these concepts the fun way.
Our first book is "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz". My kids and I have all seen the Judy Garland movie (more than once) and so we were all excited to start the book; eager to read about the munchkins, ruby slippers, and melting green witches.

For those of you that have read the book, you'll know that those slippers are, indeed, not ruby red. They are silver! What?!

Once I began reading to my girls, I knew that I needed to throw away all preconceived notions of what I thought this story was out the window. From the first chapter, it seemed that most of the similarities ended with a girl named Dorothy.

Once I was able to get into the book and empty my mind of the Hollywood counterpart, I was immediately able to immerse myself into the world of Oz.

The book is whimsical and silly. But, in an almost, grown-up way. There were bits of humor interlaced throughout that my girls just didn't get, but that would make me giggle.

Baum's classic made me realize--once again--that reading the book before seeing the movie should always be a priority.

And, now, I get to read the sequel with my nine-year-old.
on March 18, 2017
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz is a great read. The story is told third person, past tense, from the protagonist’s (Dorothy) point of view. The 1939 movie starring Judy Garland is just as good as the book. A timeless classic.

I’ve been rereading some of my favorite children’s stories that I read during my preteen and teen years. As a middle-aged guy I enjoyed revisiting Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, Beatrix Potter The Complete Tales, Charlotte’s Web, Winnie the Pooh The Complete Tales, Treasure Island, Watership Down and The Wind in the Willows as much, maybe even more, than I did as a kid. All classics.

I’d shelve the Dinotopia and the first Harry Potter book, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, with this group of classic children’s stories too.

Normally I’m a sampler. I haven’t seen any of the movies from the following series, but I did read the first books, Twilight, Outlander, Fifty Shades of Grey, Divergent, etc. I sample a lot of first books, but I don’t read many complete series. The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins, and The Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones) series by George Martin are a couple of exceptions.

Other sci-fi and fantasy authors I like include Douglas Adams, Isaac Asimov, Paolo Bacigalupi, Jack Campbell, Arthur C. Clarke, Earnest Cline, Abe Evergreen, Robert A. Heinlein, Hugh Howey, Larry Niven, Patrick Rothfuss, Brandon Sanderson, John Scalzi, and Andy Weir.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon December 16, 2002
I have admired Robert Sabuda for a long time, but he has truly outdone himself in this wonderful pop-up tribute to one of children's literature's classics. There is plenty of text here (which can sometimes be a failing of pop-up books), presented within miniature booklets on each page, and these mini-books have pop-ups themselves, which may be less ambitious than the seven centerpiece artworks, but are quite beautiful and clever in their own right. The text matches Baum's book rather than the movie, so you will find that the witch uses a magic cap to summon the Winged Monkeys, and Dorothy inherit's the Wicked Witch's silver shoes rather than ruby slippers.
There are no pull-tabs and nothing for you to do other than enjoy Sabuda's artistry as a cyclone ascends over the Kansas prairie, the Munchkins approach Dorothy's house in Munchkinland, a field of red poppies appears to put some of the travellers to sleep, the Emerald City (complete with green spectacles!) rises from the page, the Wicked Witch's castle emerges, Oz's balloon takes off and Glinda greets the adventurers in the country of the long-necked Quadlings.
This would be a fabulous introduction to the story for older youngsters or a fine collectible. Really beautiful.
on March 16, 2017
Another amazing pop-up book. As with his other books I found that not all of the pop-ups function 100% as they should, but most do. It's still worth the purchase because the mechanics of this book are so amazing. I don't recommend this book for young children unless an adult is there to turn the pages and help with the many mechanical elements found on each page because damage could easily occur.
on September 8, 2009
I bought this for my daughter who is almost three. It is a wonderful abridged version of the original story. While most kids, and adults, know only the movie version of The Wizard of Oz, this takes it's text and illustrations from the original...which is often quite different from the movie. It is a LONG read for small kids. I was hoping for more of a coloring book. This isn't it. The illustrations are pretty detailed and are more of an enhancement to the story rather than the main focus of the book. The pages do not look like an average coloring book. I could tell my daughter was slightly confused. After an entire life of me saying to her "We don't color in books" it would seem that with this, I was actively encouraging it. My eight year old son enjoyed shading in some pictures and enjoyed hearing the original version of the story. I'd say this is just okay as a coloring book. Even for older kids, it is much more text heavy than it is coloring friendly.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon April 8, 2016
Eltanin Publishing make the kindle versions of the 'Oz' series you'll want to share with your child or grandchild sitting on your lap while you're resting in an easy chair. Illustrated characters from the story appear to be on nearly each and every page with books by Eltanin Publishing and NOT just on the cover as was the case with this random version ASIN: B01CCCO2M0 . Stick with the best and forget the rest!
on December 21, 2004
Reading is most certainly a wonderful gift and skill and the pop-up books Robert Sabuda publishes are simply Fantastic!!! We bought this book and Alice's adventures in Wonderland because we saw them publicized on "Regis & Kelly" and they are simply put-the best Hardcover books in our entire library. My wife and I pride ourselves on our library and being able to provide for our 3-month old's intellectual desires and these 2 new additions by-far will give her many years of joy well into her adulthood. The pop-ups are vividly drawn and constructed and the spark of interest they created in our daughter are well worth the few pennies it cost to purchase these masterfully created works of art!!
VINE VOICEon December 26, 2010
For a first-time reader this book does its job. Does not contain any illustrations though. Introduced me to an American classic, and made clear so many Hollywood movie references to the book, to "Dorothy", "Kansas", and more, as seen in movies like "The Matrix", "The Twister", etc... The modern fairy tale of Dorothy, her dog, the Scarecrow who is in search of a brain, the tinman in search of a heart so he can love again, a cowardly lion in search of courage, the wizard who is revealed to be a small, timid man behind the curtain.

The story itself is simple, with plenty of uplifting lessons thrown in, from the courage of Dorothy, the little girl from Kansas, to the scarecrow who desires a brain but is still able to think without one, or the Lion in need of courage but still has a heart full of courage inside of him, to the value of friendship and keeping to one's promises.

The Kindle ebook version is all text, no graphics or illustrations. Support for text-to-speech is present, text-size adjustment, dictionary, and other features are all there.