Won't Be Long Now
|Listen Now with Amazon Music|
Won't Be Long Now
|Amazon Music Unlimited|
|New from||Used from|
Frequently bought together
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Customers who bought this item also bought
2013 album from the British Folk-Rock legend. Linda Thompson returns with the outstanding release, Won't Be Long Now. Comprised of a mix of traditional and original songs -- including songs co-written by Linda with Ron Sexsmith, John Doyle and her son Teddy Thompson -- Won't Be Long Now follows Fashionably Late (2002) and Versatile Heart (2007) showing that her voice endures as a devastatingly beautiful instrument.
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
This recording is a collaboration with family and friends. Linda's ex-husband Richard plays guitar on the first track, "Love's For Babies and Fools," which she composed for Rufus Wainwright, whose late mother Kate McGarrigle was a close friend. Irish guitarist and co-songwriter John Doyle performs on "Never Put to Sea, Boys" as well as Teddy Thompson's "Father Son Ballad," while Amy Helm, daughter of the legendary Levon Helm, sings on the lovely "If I Were a Bluebird," for which Ron Sexsmith wrote the tune. All three of Linda's children, Kami, Muna, and Teddy, sing with her on "As Fast As My Feet," written by Anna McGarrigle, Kate's sister and Rufus' aunt.
Teddy duets with his mother on the traditional tune "Paddy's Lamentation" from the film "Gangs of New York." He either composes or plays on several other songs, including "Never The Bride," to which Jenni Muldaur, daughter of folk and blues greats Geoff and Maria Muldaur, contributes background vocals. Longtime folk scene stalwarts Dave Swarbrick and Martin Carthy join in on a trio of delightful melodies, with Martin's daughter Eliza on the third, a Teddy Thompson number entitled "Mr. Tams." Perhaps most moving is Linda's solo voice, recorded live, covering the traditional "Blue Bleezin' Blind Drunk." The album closes with American banjo player Tony Trischka joining Linda, Amy, and Teddy on the title track, another one of Teddy's originals.
Like Linda Thompson's best work -- and pretty must everything she touches is classic -- this is wonderfully wry, beautifully bittersweet music that touches the heart.
The songs, with guests and timing:
1. Love's For Babies and Fools (with Richard Thompson) 3:40
2. Never Put To Sea, Boys (with John Doyle) 3:19
3. If I Were a Bluebird (with Amy Helm & Sam Amidon) 6:50
4. As Fast As My Feet (with Teddy, Kami & Muna Thompson) 3:54
5. Father Son Ballad (with John Doyle & Dave Swarbrick) 3:38
6. Nursery Rhyme of Innocence and Experience (with Martin Carthy) 3:29
7. Mr. Tams (with Susan McKeown, Kami Thompson, Dave Swarbrick, Martin & Eliza Carthy) 3:43
8. Paddy's Lamentation (with Teddy Thompson) 3:11
9. Never The Bride (with Teddy Thompson, Jenni Muldaur, Susan McKeown & Kami Thompson) 5:01
10. Blue Bleezin' Blind Drunk (solo) 2:12
11. Won't Be Long Now (with Teddy Thompson, Amy Helm & Tony Trischka) 2:37