Industrial Deals HPC Magazine Deals Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TNF TNF TNF  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on November 2, 2014
John Wooden is best known for his 10 NCAA championship titles over the course of 12 years, but how did he do this? Wooden explains his morals and what he believes what success is for anyone to understand. He uses anecdotes not only from basketball but also from his away from the court to help elucidate his point. Ultimately, he feels that there isn't anything really special about his knowledge of basketball compared to other coaches. It's just fundamental principles that many have overlooked. Therefore, it is a good read for anyone--not just from people who are interested in basketball. Wooden's divides his book in mini section where there is a lesson to be learned in every section--where some may or may not affect you. He follows it with examples in his life or his own explanations which I found very interesting.

At the same time, I'd say that this is the biggest drawback of his book. Since the book is divided into small sections, sometimes I feel that he abruptly changes from one topic to another. This short transitions killed my pacing when I was reading the book. I found myself wishing for each passage to be much longer to make it more enjoyable and smooth. However, I do feel that Wooden supplies enough information to prove his point in those sections. Whether it's about his definition of success, knowing you did everything within your limits of doing the very best you can do or making sure your shoes and socks fit perfectly to your feet without any creases, he makes sure to complete his thoughts and reasons for the things he states. But I don't believe that this flaw, compared to the vast insight given in this book, is enough to deduct any points of 5 stars.

Overall, this book is phenomenal. I feel that everyone is able to reap benefits and learn something new by reading this book because he emphasis the importance of strong character. It's not just about basketball, in fact, many of his students say the same thing: he coached basketball, but he also coached skills that applied after basketball. The things he says and asks always makes me rethink about what I can improve in my own life, and I'm sure that it will affect the readers who are wiling to learn. Thus, I recommend this book to anyone of any age who is willing to change their perspective on the very journey to success.
on June 5, 2013
I bought the book after reading about John Wooden's life as head coach of UCLA and his amazing amount of championships. I have somewhat skipped through the book as I have heard a lot of these stories and thoughts over the years. Which shows how good John Wooden was able to put his ways into our public motivational ideas. I am kind of addicted to reading lots of motivational books, and it is rare for me to hit a book that stands out. I would recommend this book to anyone.
on July 22, 2016
Great Book!! A fantastic summary of the lessons he learned through his life and coaching experiences. Relates well to Coaches, Players, Parents, Business People, and anyone who wants to learn to lead with courage!
on March 20, 2016
Just an OK guide to the golden rule. One principle after another. Not an interesting investigation on who this man really was/is.
on November 20, 2017
After the Bible, this might be the best, most insightful book I have ever read. John Wooden's focus on the process is so key to any arena of life and there is so much great wisdom in here. I underlined great quotes from this whole book and retyped and organized them by topic in my google docs. Absolutely fantastic read.
on July 6, 2014
Lots of good sayings and life lessons. Not a very good place to start if you want to know about the greatest coach in American sports. It would be better to read the numerous other books on Coach Wooden and the UCLA dynasty.
on September 2, 2013
This book is not what I'd thought it'd be, but in no way am I disappointed. It's a series of short sections on different topics with Wooden giving his wise thoughts on everything from family and business to personal happiness and competitive success.
I take notes when I read and have never written so many quotes from one book. It almost gets to the point that I'm just rewriting the entire book.

I've used many of the quotes at work as different situations arise and almost every time, a higher value, more ethical decision is made. I recently received a promotion and I know that John Wooden's words are a big part of that.

By the way, if anyone ever has a hard time feeling gratitude, just think how great it is that so many high character men and women have come along and put their experience, expertise, perceptions and advise down on paper. We can then have it shipped to our door and immerse ourselves in their wisdom for only a few dollars. What a great time we live in!
on February 6, 2017
John Wooden was a champion and maker of champions because he knew how to live with integrity and joy. That's what this slim, simple little volume which has far more to do with living than playing basketball reminds us. This is a great book for anyone, but I encourage others to get it for the young people in their lives.
on April 11, 2015
I don't "own" many books. I usually prefer to borrow from the library or a friend, and when I do purchase a book I typically pass it on to a friend to enjoy. This book, however, is a definite keeper. I think everyone should own and read this book over and over. It is really more a collection of memoir-type anecdotes and stories, useful for guiding young-people and old alike in common-sense, timeless life lessons and principles. Very useful for motivation, inspiration, personal development, and encouragement. I recommend it for all people: students, business persons, teachers, team members, coaches, parents, church leaders, etc.
on January 8, 2017
Great book. Bought one for my son to read.