Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ $3.99 shipping
Word Writers™: James: Experience the Bible . . . Writing Word by Word Paperback – February 1, 2017
The Amazon Book Review
Author interviews, book reviews, editors picks, and more. Read it now
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
About the Author
Denise J. Hughes is the author of the Word Writers series and a passionate student of the Bible. A popular conference speaker, she is also an adjunct professor at Azusa Pacific University and the editorial coordinator for (in)courage. She lives with her husband and three kids in the Los Angeles area. Follow her at www.wordwriters.us and on Twitter @DeniseJHughes.
Browse award-winning titles. See more
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
Top Customer Reviews
The Book of John and the Book of James are two books that are included in my annual study. When I learned of the release of Word Writers James by Denise J. Hughes I was pleased but was not expecting to learn much more from the Book of James.
Not yet finished study, I am excited to share that the study is a perfect “fit” for my study schedule and structure. More importantly, the Word Writers study of James is written so anyone could manage the daily lessons. And each day presents a powerful James lesson with real life connections.
From the table of contents one can learn the major topics of the call to grow deeper. Each section begins with an introduction to provide background. And, each lesson begins with a personal story that helps one make connections.
The daily lessons allow one to read, reflect, respond, and write. The reading is brief enough that you can reflect or think about the section. The short set of questions draws one deeper into the lesson to make it personal. Finally, writing the verses encourage one to remember the lesson.
From the beginning I was delighted to join the reading and study of Word Writers James. Daily I have been motivated to study and learn. Together, these encourage me to share this review of the book and study of James. My prayer is that you, too, have the opportunity to grow deeper in faith.
Word WritersTM: James: Experience the Bible . . . Writing Word by Word
Of the 176 pages in the study, 122 have content while the final pages are intended for the purpose of writing out the entire book of James. There are 25 lessons broken down into an opening (personal story) from the author, a portion of James, cross references,"Diving Deeper" questions, and a prayer. Apart from the scripture writing portion, you can expect to spend 15-20 minutes on each lesson.
What I liked:
- Hughes pens the most concise and well worded prayers. On day 23 (James 5:12), she writes about making our words count, and I feel that is exactly what Hughes did in these prayers. They are beautiful!
- I accepted the challenge to write out the passage that corresponded with each day's lesson. While I probably will not continue to do so beyond this study, this simple act forced me to linger a little longer in the message. Even those of us with larger script are afforded plenty of room for this exercise.
- It's not all about James. While each lesson progresses through James, Hughes also directs readers to other books which support James' teachings.
I would have liked:
- More probing questions. Each day consisted of two or three objective questions and about the same number of subjective questions. They suited the topic of the day well, but they weren't particularly deep or challenging. For me the book had more of a devotional feel than that of an in-depth study.
- Additional space to answer questions.
Word Writers: James would be a wonderful starting point for new believers. As such, it would be a good study for mentors to complete with their mentees.
With thanks to the author/publisher for providing me with a review copy. All opinions are my own.