- Paperback: 384 pages
- Publisher: For Dummies; 2 edition (September 3, 2013)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 111854661X
- ISBN-13: 978-1118546611
- Product Dimensions: 7.4 x 0.8 x 9.4 inches
- Shipping Weight: 2 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
- Average Customer Review: 23 customer reviews
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #427,594 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
WordPress Web Design For Dummies 2nd Edition
Use the Amazon App to scan ISBNs and compare prices.
Frequently bought together
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
From the Back Cover
- Create dynamic, custom websites with the self-hosted version of WordPress
- Use free themes and enhance them with CSS and HTML
- Plan your design and choose graphics, colors, and fonts
IN FULL COLOR!
Want to create cost-effective, fabulous websites? Do it with WordPress here's how!
WordPress is much more than a great blogging platform. You can use it as a content management system or to design a website using one of the many free WordPress themes. Your site can include an e-commerce storefront, photo gallery, discussion forum, social community, and more. Follow the steps in this book; you'll be saying and hearing "wow!"
- Lay the groundwork get your domain, find a host that supports WordPress, and install WordPress on your web server
- Choose your tools select a text editor, set up FTP, choose the graphics type and software you need, and explore colors
- Pick a theme learn all about WordPress themes, find and install one, and add widgets and template tags
- Make it yours use CSS and HTML to customize site design and enhance your site with plugins
- Spruce it up optimize your website for search engines, add a photo gallery, and integrate Twitter and Facebook into your site
Open the book and find:
- Why you need to keep WordPress up to date
- Quick tips for content management
- What to look for in graphics and design
- Things you need to know about typography
- How parent and child themes work
- Ways to create a unique look for your site
- Ten powerful WordPress plugins
About the Author
Lisa Sabin-Wilson is co-owner of WebDevStudios (http://webdevstudios.com), a company specializing in custom WordPress plugins, themes, and deployments. She's a popular conference speaker and bestselling author of WordPress For Dummies. Find her on Twitter: @LisaSabinWilson.
Showing 1-8 of 23 reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
It is well organized and in a logical way. I was able to get most of my questions answered and get up and running installing WP on my server (no brainer or book needed) installing a theme (again automatic) now customizing and tweaking the theme...THIS is what I bought the book for and it delivered!
I was used to Dreamweaver and other visual web editors and this book explained the WP interface in such a way that I was able to relate and get the tools within WP to customize the pages using the CMS aspects and dynamic page construction to actually get the results I wanted. It gave me enough explanation of what was going on under the hood to understand without saying this is just how it works but WHY it works and that was the information all the other books lacked (besides having the primary focus on making websites and not blogs). Not too technical however that it was still quite good for someone just starting out with WordPress so have no fear. This book was the best of both worlds - Get this book!
This is not a beginner book, but it is within reach of anyone who has gotten the hang of getting wordpress up and running already.
This IS a book to go to a new level, to use the power of Wordpress to create web sites that are more than simply basic blogs.
This is a book for learning to make your own themes, and tweak the themes you like to make them even more what you wanted them to be.
Like all the For Dummies books the presentation of the material allows for the user to jump around for what they need, or read through from cover to cover. The usual special boxes and little icons help to pull out points that you will be glad to remember.
I recommend this book.
Author Lisa Sabin-Wilson does a great job of explaining the WordPress Web Design fundamentals.
First she helps you establish your WordPress foundation by guiding you through a look at your requirements. Plus you can easily learn to install WordPress on your Web Server, and to archive content. Next she helps you choose the right tools to support WordPress endeavors like image management tools and graphic design software. A review of color theory, and planning your design strategy is also clearly explained.
Then she walks through working with WordPress Themes for customization of your website. She wraps up by explaining how to use WordPress as a content management system, along with Widgets and Plugins.
Recently, I renovated one of my websites that had some content that was over four years old. You can probably imagine the job of updating a four-year-old website.
I didn’t look forward to learning a new web content management system, but WordPress Web Design for Dummies made the transition nearly effortless. The process of managing posts and pages is fairly intuitive. Adding images is painless. The practice of editing over 200 posts and pages took about half the time I expected.
Sabin-Wilson’s experience and writing produce an excellent WordPress web design resource. I highly recommend it for someone with any level of web development skills.