- Series: For Dummies
- Paperback: 384 pages
- Publisher: For Dummies; 3 edition (October 26, 2015)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 111908864X
- ISBN-13: 978-1119088646
- Product Dimensions: 7.4 x 0.8 x 9.2 inches
- Shipping Weight: 1.4 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
- Average Customer Review: 48 customer reviews
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #323,209 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
WordPress Web Design For Dummies 3rd Edition
Use the Amazon App to scan ISBNs and compare prices.
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
From the Back Cover
- Create dynamic, custom websites with the self-hosted version of WordPress
- Determine color scheme, site navigation, and typography based on your design strategy
- Plan your design for mobile device and tablet users
Your full-color guide to creating dynamic websites with WordPress
Do you want to take your WordPress skills to the next level? From bestselling author and WordPress expert Lisa Sabin-Wilson, this friendly guide quickly gets you up to speed on the latest release of the software. Its easy-to-understand direction will show you how to use WordPress to effortlessly create customized, compelling, and cost-effective websites.
- Get a solid foundation explore web design with WordPress, understand domain requirements, and manage content confidently
- Assemble your toolbox plan your design strategy, choose graphics and software resources, pick colors and fonts, and explore editors, browsers, and FTP
- Choose your theme find and install a WordPress theme, dissect themes and templates, and display content with widgets and template tags
- Build your website use basic CSS and HTML to customize your site design, design for WordPress as a CMS, and enhance your website with plugins
Open the book and find:
- How to use WordPress as a content management system
- Steps for installing WordPress on your web server
- Tips for working with the default theme as well as parent and child themes
- How to implement advanced CSS, SaSS, and responsive design
- Guidance on inserting images into your page or post
- Steps for building a community with BuddyPress
- Powerful plugins for WordPress
About the Author
Lisa Sabin-Wilson is the co-owner of WebDevStudios, a development company specializing in custom WordPress plugins, themes, and deployments. She is a popular conference speaker and bestselling author of WordPress For Dummies and WordPress All-in-One For Dummies. Find her on Twitter @LisaSabinWilson.
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
I would have given it 5 stars except for there is a slight credibility issue. She does give a lot of good links to get free utilities and find resources. She also gives links to programs in which she recommends that do require payment to use. My issue with this is, the link that is given is not straight to the program but through a link on her own website, and she then gets a kickback for being an affiliate. If she had mentioned that this what she was doing that would have been marginally better, but to not mention it, and receive an additional benefit seems sleazy to me and therefore makes you wonder how credible the link. Is this really the best tool or one that she recommends because she benefits from the link? The savvy user should just do a quick google search and come up with the link and evaluate whether it really is a tool that you need to use.
Worth getting and a useful book.
Update: I appreciate the author responding, I still feel that it would have been appropriate to disclose the reason for the redirection and to disclose that the author is getting compensation for some of the plugins that she is recommending. Since the book is an educational book, disclosure would have been best, so I still stand by my concerns, if it had been a self promotion advertisement than I could see not mentioning that fact. I added a star because of the disclosure from the author. I still recommend the book and did in my initial review.
After reading front and back covers, Author's Acknowledgments, About the Author, Publisher's Acknowledgments, Contents at a Glance, and Table of Contents, I believed that this book would give me the knowledge I needed to build my website using WordPress (which I was also brand new to) so I purchased this book. I was very shocked to find a subsection around the 20th physical page titled "FOOLISH ASSUMPTIONS". In that section, Lisa Sabin-Wilson reveals that this book will not be of use to me unless I already understand the innermost workings of WordPress. It goes on to tell me that if I don't already understand WordPress, I should first purchase and study another book authored by her in the for dummies series.
That information made the entire purpose of buying this book worthless. After all, if I already understood WordPress I wouldn't need THIS book. Based on all of my other for dummies books, I consider the title and covers of this book to be a gross misrepresentation of the actual contents. I wouldn't mind so much if the cover revealed that this is a book for techs who already know and understand WordPress, but it doesn't. This is definitely not a book that should be in the "for Dummies" series. I would never buy another book either written or co-written by Lisa Sabin-Wilson under the guise of it being for dummies (ie: people who do not already have an understanding of the topic). I will also seriously look deeper into the actual contents of any other "for Dummies" book before buying in the future just in case they are now starting to sell you one book only to tell you that you need to purchase another one in order to understand it.