Industrial Deals Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

VINE VOICEon October 18, 2011
Massive amounts of well-written and helpful information and detail and step-by-step instructions. This is a worthwhile book to have if you have or want to start a blog at Wordpress. It extensively covers both the freebie Wordpress.com and the Wordpress.org program you can download free .
I am starting my second blog at Wrodpress, and I would not be without it. I refer to it frequently.

But be advised: I bought the Kindle edition, same content but, as far as I can tell, it lacks the index this print version has. Perhaps those that configured the book for Kindle thought that the Kindle search capacity would suffice. It just doesn't always work well for me, though, so I miss the index. So I would give the Kindle edition only 4 starts.

Nevertheless, I highly recommend this book.
25 helpful votes
26 helpful votes
on December 18, 2007
This is actually the book I wish I had been there when I first started out with blogs and especially WordPress. A lot of time is spent addressing what blogs are and what they can do and then going through how to set up a WordPress.com account or how to install the WordPress.org software on your own site. Most of the book is really set up and functionality. While most of this information can be found on the web, having this book beside you would make the task so much easier. If you already have your blog all set up and in use, most of the book is of far less use to you. I find myself in that category since I run a number of person blogs, a couple of corporate WordPress sites, and have installed the software a number of times. The two parts then that I could really get my teeth into are the section on theme customization with an explanation of many of the variables, and the second detailing the author's top ten plug-ins. I found some items there that I had somehow overlooked before and are coming in quite handy.

So, why the 4 star rating? If you are just starting out, you really need this book. Pick it up before you start. And for you it will stay with you for a while and be a 5 star. If you have been doing this for a while, there will only be a couple of chapters of real value to you, so it will most likely be a 3 star. Average them together and what do you have? 4 stars!
51 helpful votes
52 helpful votes
0Comment|Report abuse
This is a great introduction to WordPress. I've set over a dozen clients up with WordPress in the last three years and as simple as WordPress is to administer, they still need hand holding. Before this there has not been a book on WordPress that I could comfortably recommend.

WordPress for Dummies assumes no blogging or technical background and does a good job of explaining the basics. It is not a developer's manual so if you need detailed instructions on writing your own modules or hacking WP, look elsewhere. But that's what I expect from Dummies books.

I appreciated that Sabin-Wilson covered the three versions of WordPress in order of increasing complexity. For the non-technical the hosted version of WordPress is a great place to begin. For those needing more there are the install-it-yourself versions. I didn't notice any mention of hosting companies that offer 1 click installs of the regular version WordPress, which is pretty common. That's about the only quibble I have with the book. I even learned about the multi-user version of WP, something I had only a fuzzy awareness of.

I'd easily recommend WordPress for Dummies to anybody who needs to run blog or to budding web designers who would like to expend their toolkit.
15 helpful votes
16 helpful votes
22 comments|Report abuse
on October 5, 2010
Before buying this book I examined at least a half dozen of the competitors. Many of which are twice the price of WordPress for Dummies. Lisa Sabin-Wilson's latest WordPress for Dummies book is the best book available at this time for WordPress newbies.

It starts in the right place choosing how you will publish / host WordPress. Wilson explains both options with the pro's and con's of each. It's an important decision and the information she provides is helpful.

Chapters are sequenced properly with few references to something written in an earlier chapter. This kept me from flipping back and forth between chapters to setup this or that feature on my website. Each chapter provides explanations, examples, and sidebars with the "why this is important" information. Read all of it, you'll be glad you did.

Included in the book are detailed instructions for creating your own template, extending WordPress as a CMS platform and more. This takes you beyond a WordPress newbie.

If you intend to build a website you should strongly consider WordPress. It's a mature application and easy to learn. Unlike many opensource applications the documentation is great and it has been designed from the ground up with the the end user in mind as opposed to other applications which are designed to be used by a programmer,IT pro or advanced user.

After reading this book I have a website setup with a static front page, replete with many features found at very expensive hard to create websites. I am pleased with what the book has helped me create. I have used the book to tweak / troubleshoot something on my website as I continue to add to it. I think it will be a reference for me for some time.

I find the "Dummy" part of the title of the book series offensive but you would be hard pressed (pun intended) to find a better WordPress book than "WordPress for Dummies" by Lisa Sabin-Wilson. It makes learning something new fun!
3 helpful votes
4 helpful votes
on November 25, 2011
Great book as a resource to using Wordpress. I downloaded lots of information from the Wordpress forums and thought I had a good idea on how to get my blog to look professional. I customized it and now I find out I should have used "child themes" what a great feature. If only I had bought the book BEFORE I customized the site. Haven't visited the website as discussed. Looking forward to learning more. Good investment even if you hire someone, you'll know what work is involved.
10 helpful votes
11 helpful votes
on March 3, 2013
An agent from FatCow web-hosting recommended this book and he was right on!

Content is clearly understood.

Author communicates clearly. I found just a single typo. Oops, sorry, I should have noted it and posted it here. I do remember that it is very minor: just one letter as i recall.

Author seems to think of just about anything you might have a question about on wordpress.

Author seems to understand literally every facet of this subject.

Content is well-organized

Content is cross-referenced within the text. so that you can immediately skip to the main area of your current interest or question.

Content is thoroughly organized within the table of contents.

What I do not like: I am 64 years of age and I wish the text was darker or bolder. I need a book light to read this in bed.......other than that, this book is a bulls-eye!

Does this book make wordpress real easy for me. NOPE! I am a lunkhead when it comes to this stuff. But with this book and an occasional chat with the web-host's staff, I am just beginning to grasp wordpress. I am gradually switching over to wordpress.
on November 18, 2013
I needed to get started building WordPress sites, and this book did it for me.

The Dummies books are what I turn to when I need to learn a new piece of software or a new programming language. I have a grad degree in computer science, but still find that the complete explanations of the Dummies books are especially useful when you don't have a teacher to handle questions.

This book does a good job of explaining the WordPress environment. I found it useful--but I skipped some parts intended for beginners, and I think it would also be excellent for beginners as well.

The author is clearly a fan of WordPress, but she doesn't make everything look perfect. Every product has its disadvantages. and Lisa does a good job of laying out the pitfalls of working with WordPress.
0Comment|Report abuse
I've found that the Dummies book run the gamut from very, very bad to very, very good. I am pleased to report that "WordPress for Dummies" by Lisa Sabin-Wilson is very, very good.

This book will be useful to novice WordPress users (like myself) through, I suspect, intermediate users.

The first part is a tad on the slow side as Sabin-Wilson reviews the true basics. But she is trying to cover a good part of the waterfront here, helping truly inexperienced users as well as those who may have used Blogger, MovableType or other blogging platforms.

By Chapter 3, though, Sabin-Wilson begins to hit her stride, delving deeper into the hosted version of WordPress, examining its details.

With Chapter 6, she begins transitioning into a surprisingly comprehensive exploration of WordPress. Chapter 9, about altering PHP templates, is a model of clarity that all technical writers could benefit from studying. It is concise and clear, while handling some very sophisticated subjects.

By the time Sabin-Wilson gets to Chapter 16 ("Beyond Blogging: WordPress as a Content Management System"), the reader is comfortable with this advanced subject.

Overall, she does a truly fine job of introducing the reader to WordPress, how it operates, how it can be modified and expanded. Her language is always remarkably clear and her focus intense. This is one of those essentially technical books that is actually a pleasure to read. Keep it at your side while you explore WordPress, either hosted on your own or the WordPress site, and you'll become highly proficient in a surprisingly short time.

Jerry
19 helpful votes
20 helpful votes
33 comments|Report abuse
on September 4, 2017
excellent overview of the software but also detailed explainations of how to get a web site up and running. excellent recommendations about what to do, and not do, and what plug-ins to try first.
on December 18, 2010
I was in a bit of a spot when I found WordPress for Dummies. In a web development class at our Tech College, we were tasked with building a WordPress site. This was a college course, and we were doing work for a real client.

No one on the team had any WordPress experience except me, and I was only a user with a WordPress blog. We accepted the challenge, and during the process I read portions or all of five books on WordPress looking for information on using WordPress as a Content Management System.

Ms Sabin-Wilson's book was the best of the lot, being at that time the only book on the market addressing the new features in WordPress Version 3.0. I used her code to structure new templates for a couple of the static pages. The book is a good introduction to neophytes and experienced web developers.

A couple of key features were left out of the book, possibly because they may not have been finalized in her pre-publication information. These were Child Themes and the new Multiuser feature.

Fortunately, I stumbled across the new Child Theme feature in 3.0 on the WordPress.org site. This feature was key to completing the web site, and doing it in a professional way without hacking source files.

The new Multiuser feature is not covered in Dummies, although I think Ms Sabin-Wilson did briefly discuss that there would likely be changes in this feature. She did discuss Multiuser in the context of the Multiuser being a separate package prior to WP Version 3.0. Version 3.0 handles Multiuser beautifully, and you can launch as many blogs with different themes as you wish from one WordPress installation, at the same basic URL, of course. This is perfect for colleges and similar groups.

Without WordPress For Dummies, Third Edition, our web development team would not have been able to complete our assignment as quickly, nor as nicely as we did. We all got A's, of course.

I recommend this book without any hesitation, and have done so with many others in our local WordPress users' group.
2 helpful votes