Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 161 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 178 reviews
on November 3, 2012
Wow! I am not new to Wordpress but I love this book. The three things that are super helpful to me are:

1. The extensive table of contents - sometimes I am not sure about something I am trying to do in Wordpress. The table of contents lets me drill down to see if Dr. Andy has a solution for the particular task I am trying to accomplish.

2. The pictures or screen shots - I am a visual person.

3. I get to see which plug ins Dr Andy sees value in. This helps with the overall strategy of building a successful site.
11 comment| 81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 11, 2012
I've been doing websites for a few years in Dreamweaver and when I needed to build another brand new site I wanted to update to another format. Tried Joomla and then decided on Wordpress. I watched the video tutorials on utube, bought a couple of 'complete instruction' books and started trying to create that website. Since Wordpress is a pretty easy format to get started on, I was able to make some progress. Then I found Wordpress for Beginners and WOW - my progress took off. Having a visual guide with extensive photos really helps those of us who are visual learners. But the best thing to me is that Williams not only describes what to do and how to do it, he explains why you should do it. I'm not a professional tech person and this book is exactly what I needed. I suspect I will continue to refer to it in the future. Highly recommended.
on April 23, 2013
This guide fulfills the "as advertised" goal of providing a Visual Step-by-Step Guide of creating a (self-hosted) Wordpress (WP) site. It is concise, moves quickly and provides almost all the basic steps for a WP novice to load and launch a WP site. It assumes that you are not a computer novice but only a WP novice. It does not cover any advanced topics nor management of the site after you actually launch -but that's not what it's advertised to do. The pricing of the guide is very reasonable, especially compared to the usual high priced 3rd party computer manuals, and that is in line with it's very limited scope and target audience. If you've already launched a WP site, this guide will be too basic for you.

One star was deducted because it is already outdated -WP having moved to version 3.5 which overhauled the look and organization of the Admin pages. So several of the screen shots are out of date (i.e. the "HTML" tab is now called "Text". But most significantly in v3.5, the Links Menu is no longer there (now disabled by default and requires a plug-in) and Adding Media is now different (The Media Uploads Folder can no longer be set from within Settings->Media. You will now have to define it in your wp-config.php file if you want to change this location.)

Besides updating, it would be great in the Kindle version, to include hot links to appropriate sections of codex.wordpress.org. Being concise is great to get up and going but it would be nice to have hyperlinks to where a bigger/broader explanation is available (and beyond the scope of this beginner guide).

Overall, this is a nice and reasonably priced "short-cut" for a first time WP publisher that just wants to get a site launched. The writing and style is quite clear. You'll probably only need this guide once or twice and you will quickly advance beyond it's scope but its low price makes that a reasonable practice.
33 comments| 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 2, 2013
I have been trying to install a working blog from time to time for the last four years, and of course have read various books on the subject. It always got more complicated, with dashboards, PHP, SQL, SEO, or a shared Wordpress site.

This is the one book that does it flawlessly, and the installation actually works just as shown. The screen shots are accurate and most helpful as you step through each learning segment.

Having written several technical how-to manuals myself, I recognize a remarkably well structured and logical sequence of easy to learn, bite sized topics.

The recommended Bitmani installation package got a working WordPress site installed on my own Mac in about an hour. Site customization proceeds easily.

The Kindle edition is very convenient to use switching back and forth from the Kindle window to the WordPress window as you move ahead through each step to creating your blog exactly as you prefer.

To spend your time working on your blog instead of working on your website, this is the one and only book you need. It is actually fun again.
on May 18, 2017
Looking at this book, it has the features other readers like--organized Table of Contents. In this table you'll see WordPress.com or WordPress .org? This is in the beginning. Dr. Williams emphatically recommends WordPress.org.

At one point I tried to have WordPress.org and I even got an excellent Hosting site. But with Word Press.og, you have to decide what kind of security to have. I have no experience with this at all. You are also responsible for your own backups. And you have to make many decisions about what plugins to use. You have to make other decisions,which--to me, as one with no experience in these things, is really daunting.In my hands, the Site could crash.
This is why I like like WordPress.com. They make all these decisions for you. Yes, there are limits in the way you can edit, but I don't mind. I'm creative on that score.

I don't know how Dr. Williams can call his book" For Beginners" Does he mean a beginner knows enough to choose his own security Pluggin?

So, to sum up--his book is for users of WordPress.org. Not WordPress.com
on March 20, 2015
I literally started at on page one and built my website from scratch without any prior experience because of this book. It was very easy to read and was laid out in a very logical, step by step order. I would recommend it without hesitation. I was so impressed with this book that I went and ordered several other of the authors books relating to developing an online presence.
on July 13, 2014
Book accomplishes what title promises but found instructions were not clearly written, there is no index, not presented professionally.
I recommend Wordpress for Dummies (or the Teach Yourself Visually series) book taught the same information, was presented professionally, offered more information, and instructions are clearly written.
on August 20, 2014
The book was written by someone who knows Wordpress, obviously. But, my biggest problem with the book is that it has no INDEX. If you're looking for a particular topic that you may be struggling with, it isn't organized very well and you find yourself having to thumb through several pages until you find what you're looking for! Additionally, The Table of Contents is fairly well organized but there are no chapter headings in the Table of Contents or in the body of the book. It's very difficult to zero-in on a specific topic. If I had to buy this book again over a second choice, would I? The answer would have to be, no!
on December 24, 2014
This book is perfect for people who are brand new to WordPress because training for WordPress is not easily available. I wish I would have found this book when I started my WordPress website because it would have saved me from a lot of frustration.

I especially like that Andy introduces a topic, explains how or why it is important, shows screen prints, and makes suggestions if you do not know what options to choose. He also explains that you can revise the options after you have become more familiar with WordPress, plugins, and widgets.

This book is really the only book that you need to learn how to set up a WordPress website or blog!
on October 26, 2014
One problem with Word Press is that you pretty much have to learn it on your own. There are tutorials on YouTube but there is no place to go to get questions answered except a forum. I purchased WP for Beginners to help me along and it was helpful to a point, but I probably could have made as much progress on my own. I'm not telling you to not buy the book, but it has several disadvantages. First, it was published before the last update of WP. Second, it uses words you may not yet be familiar with and there is no glossary. Finally, although it is a visual guide, much of that value was lost on my Kindle.