Metallica Shop Outdoor Deals on Amazon Workplace Solutions Best of the Year Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Gift Sets Gifts for Him Get up to $100 back on House Cleaning services RestaurantPV RestaurantPV RestaurantPV  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis

Showing 1-10 of 88 reviews(verified purchases). Show all reviews
on December 29, 2012
I had not read any of their other works and after reading other reviews I was a little leery. Turns out I enjoyed this book and have incorporated some of the concepts into everyday use. There is a bit of repitition, but it is necessary as the exercises require you to repeat actions or thoughts in order to make them part of your everyday routine.

There is an offer for MP3's to support the exercises, but when I went to their website, they wanted an additional $27 for them, which was not disclosed in the book. If you are interested in positive pscyhology, this seems like a good read.
on October 6, 2015
Those who read a lot of non-fiction know that sometimes great long form content like articles and blog posts get expanded into books adding extra non essential material in order to hit a magic number of pages for a publisher. This book feels like that. The book explains great techniques focused on the concept of compassionate communication but you could get the gist of the research and technique searching the web for a long academic journal article. Basically slow down, breathe, relax and be positive in thought and actions with at least 5 to 1 ratio and you will get the 80/20 of compassionate communication.
on December 3, 2012
I found this book not only educational, but also an eye-opener to the miriad of ways we uplift or drag ourselves and others down with our thoughts, our words.
I found the exercises transformational in the way I approach a theme I need to discuss with my boss, my friends, my colleagues and all who I deal with on a daily basis.
By putting the right thought into the right word has created many positive changes in my life. I've been doing the exercises with a friend and both of us got a lot out of these exercises.
I would recommend this book to anyone who want to improve their relationship with others and with themselves by using these powerful exercises.
on September 7, 2012
This book, with its' theme of Compassionate Communication, lays out 12 very effective strategies for dealing with a variety of conversational situations. The more difficult the situation is, the more valuable this format is ... therefore we must practice long before the situations arise so that we can act instead of react. I can attest that using the 12 strategies in a number of critical personal and professional scenarios yielded outcomes far better that they would have prior to knowing about these tools. Wholeheartedly recommend!
on April 9, 2015
The basic content is excellent, and their methods work. When I relaxed and began thinking the word "happy" while visualizing past happy events in my life, I felt an immediate change in my head, and deepened relaxation. The instant effect of helping me focus on happier things instead of my worries was worth the price of the books. The effect last longer and longer throughout the days as I continue this procedure several times a day.

However... It gets 4 stars for content and 2 stars for boring presentation. Very redundant so I'm guessing they had to string out the content to make it into a book rather than a pamphlet. I bought the Whisper-Sync thank goodness so I could do other things whenever they started repeating content.
on June 9, 2016
They lost me when they compared love relationships to business relationships on page 132. Being in business for many years, I don't know how a business relationship and a love relationship can be put on the same plane. A love relationship is like an ecosystem whereas business relationships are like building with interlocking building blocks. I stopped reading at page 132. They referred to many studies but didn't reference all of them.
on June 27, 2014
This is not the kind of book one can read and just put away. It requires a lot of practice to see results, total immersion in its teachings, and a lot of personal self-knowledge and reflection. I am still practicing many of its recommendations, and I am very glad that I have this book. I have only one concern, though. It seems to assume that facial and social expressions of emotional states are universal. That has not been my experience. I've lived in this country for more than 50 years, and I am still finding instances of miscommunication due to different cultural assumptions, gestures, mannerisms, etc., that go beyond words. I would love to see a follow up study on those differences, since I know that they run very deep, are very much unconscious, and in a pluralistic society such as ours, they can create a lot of miscommunication. For example, I recently attended a memorial service for a friend. Her family was there, as well as a large number of friends. I became very aware of feeling a very uncomfortable sense of coldness, especially when I people praise the strength of the family. I realized I was operating from a different cultural milieu, where we expect grief to be out in the open, and out of conscious control. I had to change my cultural filters in order to understand their frame of mind and not let my own deep-seated values create the wrong impression on my mind. A book on those issues would be very interesting and would complement this one very well.
on August 31, 2013
I am a reluctant word smith, after the first hour of reading I ran over to revise my manuscript to remove 20 occurrences of "amazing"; my book reads much better as a result. This work is well written, and has good advise without going too deep into mysticism or nonsense. Most of it seems to rest on good defensible scientific arguments.
on September 7, 2013
...from reading this very interesting description of some of the conclusions that can be drawn from studying brain function as it relates to communication. Some of it confirms what you might call intuition or common sense, and some of it is just technical enough, while still being very basic, to be easily grasped and applied by anyone. It has definitely made me more conscious and intentional in my communication.
on January 20, 2014
In three short paragraphs this book identifies what makes or breaks relationships. That's awesome. The rest of the book teaches how to recognize the effect we have on others, how to change the negative and increase our positive influence.