Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts Book House Cleaning henriettalacks henriettalacks henriettalacks  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 105 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 107 reviews
The Kindle edition of this book does not have images. This is a serious problem for a reference, however this book overcomes this serious drawback with very detailed instructions.

I picked up this book after many years of not knitting, and I forgot how to start. This book had an excellent explanation of casting that put me right back into business. The explanation did reference an missing image, but the verbal description was very complete and could stand on its own.

Similarly, Crochet instructions were clear and detailed. However, I had prior experience with both knitting and crocheting. The chapters on lace making were a real test for this book.

I was impressed with Point Lace description. I recently read another Kindle book on lace making (also without images) and I did not feel I could follow the book without images, this book however contains a much more detailed explanation and I think I could follow it.

Here is the index of the topics and projects covered in the book:

1. Knitting
Casting on with one needle
To cast on with two needles Plain knitting
The German manner
Purling
Infant's shoe
The tulip-wreath flower-vase mat
A woven parasol
Anti-macassar
Anti-macassar Netted
anti-macassar Bound couverette for an easy chair
Floral anti-macassar Ottoman cover
Music-stool couverette Chair cushion

2. Crochet
Toilet-cover in crochet Star-pattern d'oyley
Crochet d'oyley Rose d'oyley
Toilet cover Tidy in square crochet
Arabesque toilet cover in square crochet
Cover for a Hadrot lamp
Lamp mat Candle-lamp mat
Hand-screen Crochet counterpane for a bassinet
Deep border for bassinet quilt Crochet stripe for bed-quilt
Centre stripe for bed-quilt
Handkerchief case, for hanging to the head of a bed Watchpocket
Toilet sachet lady's nightcap
A shaving tidy Oval tidy for easy chair
Crochet window-curtain Window-curtain
Window-curtain and stove apron
Netted window-curtain
Bread-cloth
A spangled wool netted cover for a tea-poy
Netted anti-macassar Short purse, in netting Bridal purse, in crochet
Lady's short purse
Handsome purse
Mousquetaire crochet collar
Raised rose crochet collar
Point collar Point collar, in crochet
Lounging-cap, in crochet

Brabant edging Lyons point
Brussels lace
Little Venetian lace
Deep point-lace edging Collar in Spanish rose point
Handkerchief border, in antique point lace
Apron in broderie en lacet
Pincushion cover in point lace
Pincushion

The book is quite lengthy and covers a lot of topics. I found it very helpful for me to get back into knitting! However the lack of images result in 4 star rating.

Ali Julia Review
on November 13, 2012
To read through a pattern book such as this one, is almost like a trip back in time.
It would be nice if it had images but many of the patterns go into quite detailed descriptions as to the appearance of the item.
The instructions are very complete, with basic knitting and crocheting how-to.
Some of these items would be amazing to see made today.
on April 21, 2014
I rated it why do I need to write a review? If it's good then it's good if it's bad then it's bad if it is excellent then it is.
on March 4, 2011
The patterns are easy to follow. The lack of pictures makes choosing a pattern difficult. I like seeing the finished product before investing a lot of time.
on September 20, 2012
I downloaded this book because it was free, and also because I enjoy crocheting. There were no illustrations. Because I am the kind of person who needs a picture as well as the written instructions, I did not fare very well when I tried to follow the patterns. I did, however, go to Project Gutenberg where I found the same book WITH the pictures. The pictures made all the difference. Now I can truly enjoy trying out some of these patterns.
on January 17, 2014
This is really a great book the only problem is there are no illustrations. I did get the book online with the illustrations and I am so thrilled with it. Amazon needs to get this one fixed to include the whole book. The book gets 5 stars and Amazon gets 4 stars for letting us have it but they need to correct their error in not including all illustrations.
on June 17, 2014
This I a fun book. Has so many old fashioned patterns that it is hard to know where to start. I enjoy the old patterns as they are a challenge. I also like the old vernacular for them as well instead of the new verbiage and different ways to do the old stitches.
on June 13, 2014
I very much like this book and the information it contains. I think that the instructions are clear and well presented; a definite big help for a beginner and good to revisit for seasonal knitters and crochet lovers.
on November 27, 2010
I only gave this three stars because there are no pictures that show the stitches. Can't complain too much since this was free. I'm glad I did not pay for this.
on March 27, 2015
This is for the experienced knitter, crocheter, etc. It is an old book and the directions are a bit archaic, so a beginner would probably have trouble interpreting the directions. Additionally, the instructions are for the English (as in Great Britain) audience where single crochet and double crochet etc. have different meanings than Americans use. Many of the patterns are for items no longer in use, like lamp covers for lamp styles I (a retired professor of interior design) have never heard of. It is for these reasons I gave this book 4 stars. As a historical treatise on the handwork of the past, this book rates 5 stars.