Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 35 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 44 reviews
on November 26, 2014
TL;DR - buy the book. The cost is well worth it even if you learn only 1 thing.

As I was reading through this book, I was reminded of the many bosses I've had in my career. Some I desperately wished would have read this book - or if they knew the principles, at least took them to heart. Others I think could have written this book - they were paramount examples of the things "Great Bosses Know." In my current leadership role, I think I fell somewhere in the middle.

If you're running a team for the first time, grab this book immediately and read it from cover to cover, NOW. This is even more important if you've not been part of the workforce for a long time. This book is applicable for all leadership positions, but sometimes focuses a little bit more on office and professional settings over manual / customer service work.

You've been a boss for a while? Still grab this book and scan through it. For me, some of these things "I knew" - but others I didn't fully comprehend until I read the way that Jill phrased them. It was a good refresher with honest/accurate feedback of some of the fallbacks and shortcomings semi-experienced bosses have.

Overall, I'm glad I read the book. I think if I would have read it sooner in my career, I might have saved some mistakes - but that's also a point in the book: managers will make mistakes!
on November 28, 2012
I was very thankful to stumble upon Jill Geisler's podcasts about "Work Happy; What Great Bosses Know" because she has an amazing way of putting every leadership scenario into a common sense approach. When I heard that she was writing a book I was really excited and knew I had to get it! I was very happy to be able to get it on my Kindle. Just so you know this is the first review I've ever written on Amazon and I've bought a lot of books! That's how much I think you should read this book! Trust me your team will be grateful. I love her leadership podcasts and I love the book as much, it's like a compilation of all her podcasts and it's great to have in my leadership toolbox. She has a way of relating to bosses and leaders like no one I've ever known and her advice is very helpful. Her book is like having a personal leadership mentor at your fingertips.
on June 18, 2012
I thought I was being a GREAT boss, but turns out, the things I was doing to "help" were driving everyone else on my team crazy! My mistake was thinking good leaders ALWAYS needed to be front and center, but the advice in this book taught me that great leaders also have to learn to guide the ship from the galleys! This book is for the new boss, the "seasoned" boss, or anyone who wants to be the boss. It's the only way to make sure you don't become the "big bad boss" who once made you miserable when you were climbing the corporate ladder! So, put away the pepto, "Work Happy" takes the heartburn out of being the boss.
You're fooling yourself if you think you don't need to read the book, and you're being selfish if you don't share it! Work happy!!
on May 6, 2016
This book is most applicable, approachable, and effective in my leadership library. The advice is sound, colloquial, and backed by research which soothes my anxiety and feeds my intellect. Together with her podcasts, this is saving my life!
on January 21, 2016
The book is great. It takes you by surprise some of the actions we perform as leaders but never given a thought on how others perceive them which can have implications.

However, a more structured advice and a few short mantra's to remember would be more helpful then similar advice in the form of multiple examples which kinda takes the interest off the book.
on March 24, 2013
I have been reading a lot on management over the last few years, as staffs get thinner and are expected to produce more than ever. Jill Geisler has written a gem here. She draws on lessons learned in her classes teaching managers and her own experience managing a television newsroom. Invaluable insights, well-integrated self tests (which I normally hate) and practical advice. I have several new post it notes prominently placed in my office with notes from Jill's book.
If you have any questions about whether you are the best manager you could be and getting the most out of your people - stop now and buy this book!
on March 11, 2016
This book is really helping my husband with his job
on February 9, 2013
I can't speak for experienced managers, but as someone newly in the role, this book has been a lifesaver. It tells you in simple language what to do- and perhaps more importantly- what not to do. In fact, I'll have something happen at work and I will recall part of the book and think- ah, that's what Jill was talking about. Great for TV people but the advice would be good for managers in any industry.
on August 18, 2015
This is a great book for all managers, not just those who run newsrooms. Jill Geisler provides valuable advice with examples of how to have successful conversations with employees about difficult topics. This is a must-read especially for new managers.
on February 5, 2014
Too much brilliance and practicality in an ebook! I need a hard copy I can highlight to death. I know I will value the advice in this book for years to come. I'm just getting started in my newsroom management journey. I'd love to have coffee with Jill someday!