Salon Beauty Best Books of the Month Women's Block Sandals nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Introducing Fire TV Cube Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon theaffairS4 theaffairS4 theaffairS4  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

Work Wonders: Feed Your Dog Raw Meaty Bones
Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 47 reviews(5 star). See all 61 reviews
on February 23, 2018
2/23/18.. What l needed to read. Adopted my pound pup 9 months ago. Was feeding him a higher grade organic kibble...but he was always scratching and his fur felt coarse/dry. Also..waayyyyy too ADDHD. Bought this book and a couple others just about 4 weeks ago. 3 weeks ago switched him to a raw meaty bone diet. By end of second week, we noticed he started to be calmer and was scratching quite a bit less. Now 3 weeks out..his coat is SHINING and waaayy SOFTER. Have not seen him scratch in a week. He he is 52 pounds. Gets a raw chicken quarter a day, along with chicken hearts, some rooster testicles(Asian supermarket!). Also change up some stuff..such as duck heads, gizzards, duck livers and beef ribs with meat(not the small ones ever!). His favorite is a whole frozen mackeral(ungutted). It was a little shocking to me at first..seeing him chomp the chicken bones and hearing them crunch before swallowing. Since there is not "filler" in his diet, he poops only about a 1/4 of what he used to..and it just turns to ash in a few days. Buy this book..along with more reading....and begin feeding your dog a species specific diet. I will NEVER feed kibble to a dog again. ... NOTE.. raw chop meat and ground bones as in the BARF diet is NOT the Raw Meaty Bone(RMB) diet. The RMB provides actual bones...to chomp, chew, swallow. It takes changing your mental game...but once you see the positive benefits...fears and concerns of the new will make you glad you did so!
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
on August 6, 2017
What's not to like about this book?! In my experience, Dr. Lonsdale is the only honest resource for pet diets. The only one without a hidden financial agenda, wanting to sell you something, if only a magazine subscription. You won't need to worry about supplements, you won't need to buy an expensive food grinder. Lonsdale is a highly experienced peer reviewed University of London graduate and FRCVS with rare integrity. Work Wonders tells you everything you need to know about feeding your pet the species appropriate raw meaty bone diet, why it needs this diet, and what happens when your pet is fed commercial dog food -- junk food. Pay attention to the emphasis he puts on oral hygiene: disease starts in the mouth! Dr. Royal Lee made this discovery in the 1950's. The raw meaty bones diet Lonsdale describes keeps your pets' teeth and gums healthy. Consult his website, too, and watch his YouTube videos. You will find out why he takes issue with the BARF advocates. I started out with Billinghurst and his popular Give a Dog a Bone, but Lonsdale I believe has it right. In the final analysis, I let me dog have a say. She said, "I don't want carrot pulp, I don't want cottage cheese, I don't want fruit. I'm a carnivore. I want raw meaty bones."
on November 18, 2010
From knowing absolutely nothing about the raw diet (except that, well, it involved raw things), I bought this and one other book when I was thinking of switching my dogs to the BARF diet. I didn't want to be overwhelmed with information I didn't understand or choices I didn't know enough to make, and I was very nervous about knowing enough to do the right thing for my dogs. Work Wonders opened my eyes to the truth about kibble (yuck!), and gave me lots of practical information that I don't need to be a nutritionist to understand, as well as plenty of strategies and suggestions for making the raw diet work for my household. While I'm never going to buy a whole goat, or even think about scooping up road kill -- I'm much more comfortable getting extras from the local butcher or buying frozen RMB from our neighborhood store -- I appreciated the gamut of offerings for how best to feed my dogs. We are now a BARF family. The dogs love mealtime like never before, and when uninformed friends (or even people at the vet's office) look askance at us for how our dogs eat, I hold up my Work Wonders book and tell them they're the ones missing out. I highly recommend this as a starting-out book if you're even thinking of feeding raw.
9 people found this helpful
on April 18, 2017
I would give this book 10 stars if I could. This is a no nonsense, no holds barred book about raw feeding and the dangers of "junk dog food." The book implores the reader to use common sense in the face of all of the marketing both we, and unfortunately our Vets are exposed to.
on April 10, 2008
The loss of two of my 'shadows' - a fox terrier and a border collie - from suspected kibble issues prompted buying this book. Having lost four dogs in a month, with nothing in common but the food, I find it amazing that mine are the only ones with problems. My remaining dogs were immediately taken off kibble. They vary from a small BC cross to a German Shepherd. All have taken to real food well. With due respect to the ones rating it low after having had problems...I'd take a $2500 vet bill over the loss of a beloved show prospect and the loss of the last daughter of my old girl (lost to cancer in '06). They cannot be replaced - there is no future with them.

This book is a good overview of the basics, the good things and the not good things (where it's pointed out DO NOT give wings to large breeds due to possible choking when they gulp without chewing). My sheltie shadow has had the biggest adjustment as it takes him a little bit to navigate the food.

However there's benefits that go beyond health. Meals are a bit of a feeding frenzy with multiple dogs anyway (even when separated). However, when all have had a chicken quarter they lay down content, sleep far more soundly than when they'd get kibble. I don't envision feeding kangaroo tails as that's not a reliable source; and it's a little more difficult to find reasonable priced rabbit etc. But the immediate difference in the attitudes of the dogs after eating is marked. There's a contentment that is hard to describe but easy to see. They also no longer eat then look pregnant (but there's nothing wrong with the kibble?) and/or vomit or simply go to sleep and not wake up.

Good reading, some good ideas. I *much* prefer feeding liver every couple of weeks as recommended here rather than daily...although I might go in between and do once per week with mine. The stressing of different kinds of meat was interesting as well. Am not quite done with it - have read quite a bit on the subject online as well.
I wish I could go back and start this a month ago - Hatter and Fly would still be here. But for other dogs...highly recommend this method of feeding and this book as a primer.
7 people found this helpful
on August 16, 2015
An excellent book that doesn't complicate the raw diet. If you have been intimidated about starting your pet on a raw diet, this book demystifies the process. Doesn't over complicate things with a bunch of supplements. This book could possibly prolong the life of your pet.
on May 18, 2018
Great condition. Easy reference from a very knowledgeable vet.
on March 23, 2012
If you're searching for the right food for your dogs & cats you definitely should read this book! Tom Lonsdale is a brilliant Veterinarian and should be commended for this book.

Feed your dogs & cats mostly meat, some bones, some organs and they'll be healthier than you could ever imagine!
2 people found this helpful
on June 21, 2017
good book
on January 11, 2018
This is the first amazon review I have ever bothered to write. We plan on starting our dogs on a raw diet, and I believe this book gives us the best information and direction to best suit our dogs.