Customer Reviews: WorkFit-S, LCD Laptop Sit-Stand Workstation
Amazon Vehicles Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 $25 Back with $50 Purchase Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon fin fin fin  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle Oasis hhnsweeps Shop Cycling on Amazon Save on select ClickTight convertible car seats

on December 2, 2012
I wanted an easy way to go from sitting to standing at work as an IT guy, and this was suggested to me.

First, the good. It's really nice to be able to sit/stand at will. The workstation clamps securely to any flat surface less than 2.5" or so. The spring tension is adjustable separately for both the monitor/laptop arm and the whole workstation, so you can get it to work properly with the weight of your machine. I've got a Dell U2410 24" monitor and a 15" Macbook Pro on it, but I wouldn't trust it with much more weight. I had to tighten the springs quite a bit to get it to stay in place.

Now for the bad. Assembly is a pain, and I'm really good at this sort of thing. It wasn't particularly hard, but there was a lot to do and left me wondering why it wasn't more pre-assembled from the factory. It's also not something that you'll ever want to take apart again. If you need to move it, it's going to be bulky. In the grand scheme of things, that's pretty minor.

The real problems start once you've got it set up for use. One of my initial reasons for considering this over the Kangaroo Pro is that the keyboard shelf can extend below the height of the desk (by about 3"), which fits me better ergonomically. However, I didn't realize that the same design that allows that makes it extend no less than a foot towards you from the edge of the desk! If you're in a C-shaped or similar cubicle, as I am, it severely cuts into useful space. That's my #2 worst complaint-- it's so bulky, and needs a way to sit back on the desk.

The worst problem of all is the stability in use. Nothing ever feels like it'll break or fall over, but even gentle typing on the keyboard shelf will make the monitor/laptop/etc shake quite noticeably. If you rest your wrists on the keyboard while typing, it'll be even worse and make anyone looking over your shoulder sick to their stomach. It's very distracting and is a primary reason I'm considering not using the stand any more.

In summary: If you have very light monitors or monitor+laptop combo, this might be acceptable. Otherwise, I don't think it's strong enough to hold large modern LCDs steady, which combined with its space-intrusive nature, leaves me wishing I'd gone with the Kangaroo Pro solution (which looks far more elegant to boot).
on May 2, 2012
I've been using this for a few months now and I really like it so far. However, I'm 6' tall, and the keyboard tray is not even close to high enough for me to keep my elbows at 90 degrees while standing, which is where I feel most comfortable when typing. Instead I have to reach down to type and use the mouse. I've gotten by with placing cardboard boxes underneath the keyboard and mouse to raise them up to a better height. I would give it 5 stars if the keyboard height was adjustable, but no such luck.
on April 1, 2013
I purchased this product after reading several reports about how sitting for long periods of time was not meant for our bodies. I've been in physical therapy enough times that they know me by name -- not good! So after visiting a friend at work and seeing how her company offers desks that can instantly convert from sitting to standing however most *quality* workstations that can do this with a simple lever or high-tech motors & electronics are almost a grand if not more; they seem cool and gadgety but I stayed away from them as it only means yet another thing that can break and potentially cause me to spend money & time on. This product offers a very simple solution if you already have a decent desk in place that has the proper infrastructure.
With that said, here are some things to note when considering this product:

- Be sure you have sufficient clearance to sit / stand further back from your desk than you normally do -- much like having a keyboard pullout and even a tad bit more
- If your desk sits in an alcove then the height clearance could be an issue
- If you utilize your desk for other things (in my case another monitor/computer set-up on the other side) then lateral space could also be an issue.
- There is a minimum desk/table thickness & weight bearing requirement. I wouldn't use a cheap desk with thin/light fiberboard -- it clamps down on the front portion so if you've got anything but a flat front surface underneath that could be an issue. Or you could get a piece of scrap wood to wedge between the clamp and the desk.

As far as quality and operation I'm fully satisfied and happy I didn't drop a good penny on replacing my entire desk. This is my fourth Ergotron product and I have yet to be disappointed by the build quality. Every component is solid, all the screws have a tight tolerance, the fit and finish rivals that of more expensive commercial product yet it still has impeccable form and function. Operation up and down is smooth and simple utilizing stored energy tension which is fully adjustable. In other words instead of a physical level that you need to push/pull it utilizes the weight of the monitor/laptop devices to ensure that the unit stays in place where it's set; you simply push it up and down -- no levers to break or fix!! For my set up the default tension worked perfectly. This is a standard design principal that Ergotron employs in most (if not all) of their high-end adjustable products and I think they nailed it with regards to the engineering *especially* at the price point compared to others on the market.

The installation directions are modeled after the Ikea methodology which is to not include a phonebook sized instruction manual written in 50 languages but rather utilizing visual cues. For those who are mechanically inclined it's a breeze but for those who aren't you might want to consult someone who is for both ensuring tension is set properly and ensure all cables have adequate clearance for travel up and down.

Speaking of cables Ergotron provides a good amount of mounting and cable management accessories in the form of double sided velcro, rubber feet for the keyboard or laptop without a docking station, clips, etc. Adjustment for the monitor/laptop tray can easily done with hand or finger adjustment knobs. It even comes with a nice cable wrap although this is probably the one nit-pick for people who are OCD about appearance; there is no internal cable guide so all cables are exposed. The unit does offer mount points for twist ties.

There are some limitations to note which is where I docked it by one star:

- The monitor and laptop tray have both some lateral adjustments but only the monitor has a height adjustment. Neither mount allows for an adjustment for angling the monitor/laptop along the Y axis (ie- you can't twist the monitor or laptop tray side to side to angle them in). The monitor does have a pitch adjustment -- As for the laptop? Well that's just a matter of tilting the screen :)
- There are only 2 mount options for distance between the keyboard and the monitor/laptop. The keyboard tray is fixed so there is no angle adjustment options but it does accommodate for right or left handed mouse users. Unless you have an awkward torso with really long arms it should be sufficient
- As mentioned above there are clearance requirements
- You may require longer power/monitor/keyboard/mouse cables than what you have depending upon your set up. I utilize a wireless mouse/keyboard and I would encourage that as an alternative investment than purchasing extensions or longer cables. It also cuts down in the spaghetti mess

Overall this is another excellent product from Ergotron. I've never had any problems of my Ergotron products go bad (knock on wood) since my first unit about 10 years ago. If you don't want to drop more money on a good height adjustable desk give this product some serious consideration!
on December 18, 2012
This stand works as advertised. It puts the monitor and laptop at the height I need it to stop the strain in my neck which is causing severe muscle spasms. It moves up and down without to much effort, and I have spent a few days working just standing up. It is fairly easy to assemble, and very sturdy. There is a slight shake noticeable on the laptop when I type, and this will probably be more pronounced if you are a heavy typer, but it has not distracted me.

The only downside is the keyboard is at a set interval between the monitor and keyboard, not allowing you adjust the height separately. Also, there is not a tilt or negative tilt for the tray and I would suggest getting something like the Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5000 keyboard that has negative tilt to reduce the strain on the rests.
on March 15, 2012
I love the Ergotron. It functions really well as a sit-stand station, and I find myself standing more often than sitting these days. The instructions as I received them were incomplete, and I needed to get a PDF online. Not a big deal. Also, I needed additional hardware to mount my 24" monitor, and it would have been good to know that in advance.

It's a little wobbly as I type, and I would like it to be more stable than that.

These are minor complaints, however, as I've been using the Ergotron happily for months and there really isn't a better solution out there.
on January 18, 2012
I purchased this standing workstation after a lot of research to find a standing desk to relieve me from sitting in front of my computer all day, everyday (had developed sciatica, back and neck pain).

this is the best of its kind -. I can stand or sit and the monitor and keyboard are perfectly aligned either way. It was very straightforward to assemble, and I did not have to replace my desk - this solution works with existing furniture, and is much more reasonably priced than having to buy a whole new desk.
Quality is excellent - very sturdy, and when I called Ergotron customer service to ask a question they were wonderful - very helpful, knowledgeable, and friendly.

Finally Amazon offered the best pricing, and free shipping, so I am really happy with this product and with Amazon
on January 11, 2013
A friend recommended this work station to me as I spend far too much time at my desk and was developing back problems. Standing part or most of the day was the perfect solution. This workstation is very solid, well engineered and not that hard to install. Standing makes me more productive and it's simple to raise and lower the station when I want to divide my time between standing and sitting. It really couldn't be more convenient.
on September 1, 2011
I have been ordering these for people in our office and they love them. Word of mouth is spreading and I have to order more every couple of months.
on September 27, 2012
Generally does what it says it does. For me the ability to stand and work is worth some of the minor quarks with the product. For instance. My laptop and keyboard are not enough weight to keep the top adjustment slide down. My laptop wants to slide up to the top of the tower. I fixed this issue with one of the zip ties that came with the unit. Not a real big issue for me as from an ergo stand point the keyboard tray and laptop height work best when the top slide is all the way down. I'm am 5'11, so pretty average height. Another issue is the general slide adjustment...its just difficult to work with and get adjusted properly. Again...not something that has caused me alot of pain except for the initial set-up. Set up takes some time. For me set-up took the better part of an hour and I would consider myself handy.

If you are looking for the ability to stand or sit on the job WorkFit-S is worth a hard look.
on September 15, 2014
I love this solution for a dual laptop and monitor sit-stand desk. It's heavy duty. I was worried about it moving around while typing but that doesn't happen at all. It has a lot of adjustments and moves up/down easily. I would definitely purchase this product again!