Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Nothing More GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 69 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 141 reviews
on January 10, 2010
This game appears to be very simple with the same goal in mind for each level--to get all the goo balls up into the pipe. But it is also very challenging because with each level you have to figure out how you are going to build up the goo balls to reach the pipe. At first I was very frustrated with this game because no instructions or help files came with the game and I could not figure out what the goal was. After about 15 minutes of trying out different things I finally figured out what to do with the goo balls. Each level has a different type of challenge in the way you build the goo balls, but the goal itself is always the same--to get all the goo balls to go up the pipe.

I bought the game so that when my grandchildren came to visit they would have a game to play on my computer. I always play the games myself to see what will need to be done to play the games before my grandchildren visit. I am 61 years old but it was my 5 year old grandson who figured out that you needed to wake up the goo balls that are sleeping so that you will have enough goo balls to build your towers to get to the pipe in some of the levels. Just because you are able to reach the pipe and have some of the goo balls go in does not mean that you have completed that level. Some times you do not get enough goo balls to go in and then you have to "Retry" until you get enough goo balls to go in.

I still have not figured out how you can access the "extra" goo balls that you can accumulate during the game. What is the use of having extra goo balls if you can not use them?

This game can be played by all ages and is fun to play. Younger children will need some help but usually once you show them what needs to be done then they can pretty well play it on their own.

I only gave the all over score of a 4 because it does not come with instructions or help files.
on August 21, 2015
Of course everyone's experience is different when loading software. In my case I am running windows 8.1 on a Dell XPS pc and despite appearing to install it does not work. When I run it I can hear music but there video produces a black screen. Hitting escape or activating the task manager (control, alt, delete at the same time) stops the music but also freezes my computer requiring a restart. I have tried it multiple times -- no luck. In fact when I went to delete the program it did not appear in the list of programs that can be removed. You can find this problem on the internet reported by others but no easy answers are provided (world of goo music but no video) The bottom line - I can't use it and there does not appear to be a solution to the problem I can find.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
My 10 year old girl and 13 year old boy had to be pulled off the computer after playing this for 5 hours straight (yeh, I know that is too long but I was working and getting so much done!). They did not fight the entire time they played the game. I could hear them laughing and encouraging each other to build higher (only one can play at at time).
They told me it reminded them of a combination of Zoombinis and Crazy Action Contraptions but was more fun.

Highly recommend if you need a little time to yourself without too much guilt.
on August 14, 2009
I downloaded the free demo and it is nothing like the real program. Also the video clips do not do justice to the game play.

I bought this game on faith because of the customer reviews and they were right!

I bought it for my 10-year old stepson to play, but I enjoy it as much as he does--maybe a little more.

I enjoy creating bridges and towers from triangles and pyramids. While hanging down a rope, how would you create something that reaches into a cave? Well, you'd have to hang an equal weight on the far side to balance your structure... How would you create a floating tower? well, the base would have to...

And as I sleep at night, I get the feeling that the little goo creatures are a metaphor for something real and living--cells? superstrings? buckyballs? Chi?

The first challenge is to create any structure that accomplishes the goal, no matter how overbuilt it is. Then to go back and do it a second (third...) time as efficiently as possible--these are the exact constraints that structural engineers must work within.

I believe this game will teach a young person to have a more realistic concept of physics and applied mathematics, including gravity, floatation, balance of forces, wind, bouyancy, more patience, appreciation for archetecture, and for natural structures.

Add to this it is non-violent, with very low level of competition (just enough to motivate you to go back and do a better job on your second try). I couldn't recommend this game more highly as an educational software and addictive fun!
on January 12, 2014
Purchased copies enough for all our Math Lab computers and our students LOVE to problem solve with this program during "choice time". Favorite of the intuitive learner, but also a nice challenge for the analytical child -- pre-planning moves and an elementary understanding of physics will enable them to achieve the goal with the most efficient use of resources. (A great math puzzle using critical thinking and visual-spatial skills.)
on June 29, 2009
I really enjoyed this game, as did my husband. The challenges start off quite simple and grow more difficult at a steady pace but they are never impossible. Some of them just take a few (okay one took me about 10) restarts to figure out your strategy. You have a clue or two on each level to help you figure out what you are trying to achieve, so you have to figure out your goal AND your strategy which I loved. The Goo Balls are hilarious and come in all shapes, sizes and functions. You have to figure out how to use them to cross ravines, or blow stuff up or construct impossibly high towers. The story line is very strange and amusing. Great game to play for an hour or so when you just want to relax and have a little play time.

I have almost completed the game which leaves me a little sad, but I intend to replay and see if I can beat my scores.
on February 16, 2010
this ingenious 2D game is what really reminds me of my doodles I would do in church as a kid (against the parents' will, of course)that looked like statues that were constructed in the same manner as the goo balls do in this game.

the story is hilarious, and any computer fanatics know some things about internal parts of computers and maybe a little programming can really get in on the humor that is presented. It has no over-arch storyline, but does have such innovative game-play that also has a little bit of a multiplayer: you can go into free build mode, and, if your connected to the internet, can compete for the highest goo statue in the world. this game is meant for any kid or adult that is out there: most innovative 2D game play I have seen out there.
on December 18, 2008
Brilliant and VERY creative. World of Goo is a predominantly physics-based problem-solving game developed by two ex-EA employees. This game is unconventional and the first thing you think as you launch the game for the first time is "what is this?--this is really weird." Then twenty minutes later you're hooked.

Pros:
- Extremely creative game with an interesting story line
- Great graphics/sound and overall high-quality experience
- Very smooth, no bugs detected, no game crashes, etc
- Unlike any other game you've played before
- Cheap!! ($20)

Cons:
- None other than I wish the game was a little longer.

Bottom line: Definitely worth a shot for $20.
on December 18, 2011
This game is so much fun, and beautifully designed. I know the other reviews have given an idea of what's involved, you have to build structures with your gooballs to reach a destination. But trust me, just buy it. The price is great for the complexity of the game. I'm very addicted but won't play it for too long because I don't want it to be over! But it appears you can download more levels online (created by fans). I've only completed the first chapter, and there were a couple of levels that were quite challenging. It would be great for kids but it's challenging enough for us adults, for sure.
on September 12, 2009
I'm by no means an experienced game player, but tried a trial of World of Goo, and was instantly hooked. I got my copy from Amazon, and while I still haven't cracked the entire game, I find it more entertaining than most of the seek and find stuff that's out there. Basically, the game calls for you to link together a series of 'goo' balls, which will eventually be dropped into a goo collector. Sounds silly, and it is, but you'll find you have to think about how to get your goo balls from one place to another. There's good graphics, and music that will haunt your brain for days. So sorry the makers went into bankruptcy, I'd love to see what else they could do!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.