Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop now Book House Cleaning americangods americangods americangods  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now Ellen

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 85 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 113 reviews
on November 6, 2016
This is for the original release and not the 40th Anniversary Edition.

War was a true musical melting pot in the diverse musical decade that was the 1970's. They were as eclectic as they were talented and can write great songs in a wide range of moods and do them well. Their lyrics were also quite topical and never came off as preachy. It's a shame their work has become severely underrated over the years since most newer music fans only know them for "Low Rider". However, in their prime, War was a monster band and that is shown in spades on The World Is a Ghetto. The opening "The Cisco Kid" was very catchy in its lyrics and horn lines and would become a huge hit along with the more solemn title track that was shortened for radio play but on the album is a 10-minute sound collage full of introspective playing. "City Country City" is a 13-minute plus instrumental whose title expresses the vibe perfectly as it bounces from laid back to kinetic and shows all of the band's talents on full display and like the best of jams, it never feels as long it is. "Where Was You At" is as funky as it is upbeat while "Four Cornered Room" is very dark and melancholy yet riveting. Finally, "Beetles in the Bog" ends the album with a hypnotic and tribal beat that just takes you in. A lot of people would recommend you pick up a greatest hits by War but as with most great bands, it doesn't truly paint the picture. The World Is a Ghetto does. Highly recommended.
on June 30, 2015
I have owned the original Digital 20 bit Master Series, Gold CD versions of The World is a Ghetto since it first came out in the mid-90's. I also recently purchased the 40th Anniversary Expanded Edition CD of this album. I have kept the Digital 20 bit Master Series because absolutely nothing came close to the sonic quality on that CD, which is quite good. After I purchased the 40th Anniversary version, I gave the 20 bit version to a friend, because it was definitely a better sounding CD.

However, this new, remastered version of this CD, which is less expensive, is just sonically stunning!! As good as the other ones were/are, the detail and precise imaging are near perfect and really shows off this great CD as it should be. Please note that the 40th Anniversary version does have a few extra tracks and includes a very nice CD booklet, while this version has none.

I gave this CD 5 stars because it deserves it for the sonic qualities alone. However, while it does not much matter to me personally, this is "bare bones" in terms of extras. This is strictly a fine remaster of the original album, and nothing more. In fact, while I've never seen it before myself, this CD doesn't even come with a CD booklet of any kind. Please note that there is a notation with the CD that one can download a copy of the original CD booklet from the War.com website, which likely means that you won't get any remastering information, etc. about these specific releases. Of course, after I received the CD and went to the site, that download wa no where to be found, but hopefully that will be corrected soon for those who need the booklet.
on April 3, 2017
Had this on vinyl and saw this 40th version ;which was a nice bonus with the extra tracks. As good as I remembered it to be and even better on cd.
on July 31, 2008
A few years back I picked up the 2CD best of War; great collection but all it did was make me want for more. Recently I've found that downloading mp3s from Amazon is a great way to fill in the cracks of a collection without buying either filler material or duplicating tracks that are already in my collection.

So given that the first two of this album's six tracks appear in full on that 2CD best of you can imagine my reticence to purchase the entire album download just to get the album length versions of two of my favorite War tracks, "The World Is A Ghetto" and "City Country City". When push came to shove I decided that when adding in "Four Cornered Room" it made for over thirty minutes of music with just these three tunes alone. I bit my lip and downloaded the entire album.

Am I glad I did! This is prime stuff, the best album I've gotten in quite a while.

When I had burned a War compilation for the car I edited out the 60 or 90 second intro to the 7 minute album version of my favorite, "Slippin' Into Darkness", so I had been a little worried that the long versions of the numbers here might inspire a little trimming. Not so. The long versions of both "The World Is A Ghetto" and "City Country City" turned out to be (along with "Slippin' Into Darkness") the finest two numbers this band ever delivered. I well understand why this was the #1 album of its year, it doesn't get any better than this. I am very glad I didn't settle for just the edited versions that appeared on the best of disks.

"Four Cornered Room" also turned out to be top shelf War, right up there with triumphs like "All Day Music" and "Don't Let Nobody Get You Down". Oh, "Beetles in the Bog" would have been better as an instrumental but the track sequence flows quite well into that number as an album closer. This album is better than most groups' greatest hits. Well, okay, a LOT better.
on March 29, 2017
Sounds great.
on December 9, 2015
Summer memories of the early 70s from on of the premier funk r&b bands of the time. Dig the grooves!! I first heard this album in the summer of 1973, along with the next release 'Deliver the Word' and I loved both from that time forward. Get the Japanese reissue of this and any other album you can. They cost a little more (sometimes more than a little) but they are worth the price!
on January 5, 2011
I listened to this album hundreds of times when I was a draftee stationed in Wurzburg, Germany (1972) the year it came out. I decided to use my Xmas gift certificate to get this again. Wow! The stereo is some of the best I've heard in years & it still moves my soul. The long version of "The World is a Ghetto" still amazes me when they go off in the middle of the song to a nice jazz flavored jam. "The Cisco Kid" shot out from all my different speakers. This group was like a blend of jazz, rock, funk, latin-conga...they have their own niche. Getting this again is like meeting an old friend. One of the best albums of my youth. It stands the test of time & this group is very underrated.
Thanks War!
on March 18, 2015
I can almost visualize a wall of Acoustic bass amps alongside that Hammond B3/Leslie combo, while the horns accentuate the funky, funky rhythm- War didn't get the recognition they deserved- This was pre-Eric Burdon, and shoes them at their creative, soul-punching' funk hood.
A classic of the California asphalt grittiness back then!
on May 14, 2017
Great album. Great memories.
on June 4, 2014
Superb remastering of this classic 1970s recording.
Full of reverb, psychedelic funkiness, earthy drums and so on.
Should be part of anyones music collection.