Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Pyrex Simply Store 8-Piece Glass Food Storage Set (4 vessels and 4 lids)
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer conj2 conj2 conj2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Back to School

on March 22, 2006
Trying to live a more sustainable lifestyle - using more reuseables and less disposables, and Pyrex is PERFECT for that!!!

I had been using plastic Gladwear, Ziploc, and Rubbermaid containers, but had several problems with them:

1. Storing tomato sauce and then re-heating it in the container dyed them a weird shade of orange.

2. They are supposed to be microwaveable but I found that after a few months of normal use, they were useless - warped, funny colors, scratched, etc.

3. The plastic scratched easily, creating chanels where bacteria could grow - eww.

4. I've read multiple articles from multiple magazines quoting multiple studies about how microwaving plastics release toxic chemicals into your food.

5. After several months of use, they were beat and had to be recycled - recycling is, of course, better than throwing them in the trash, but the process of recycling creates pollution and not only that, I'd have to go out and buy more, spending more money, which was what I was trying to get away from. Good for the company, because they got more money, bad for me, the customer.

BUT this Pyrex set is GREAT! 7 containers, 7 lids. LOVE IT!!!

1. I can reheat food in the microwave (without the plastic lid) and don't have to worry about chemicals leaking in to my food.

2. They do great in the freezer - we use one of the small ones to hold ground coffee - we buy beans and ground several days worth at once, then pop the grounds in the small container and into the freezer.

3. It's Pyrex, so it's no big deal when my daughter accidently drops one helping me put the dishes away.

4. I can use them to hold raw marrinating meat, chicken, or fish without having to worry about them holding on to the bacteria.

5. They are dishwasher safe, just put the lids on the top rack only, and they come out perfect, very smooth surface so they are easy to wash.

6. I've read other reviews saying that they look nice too, so they can go from fridge or oven (7. Oh yeah, they are oven-safe too) to table as serving dishes - this is true, if we ever had a dinner party, I would't think twice about using them as serving dishes.

8. They are simple, which I love, because I won't have to worry about them clashing with anything (we are a young family so we have hodge-podge of kitchen stuff anyway so it doesn't matter right now).

9. They "nest" together very nicely - we live in a small apt with limited kitchen storage, but these containers, one stacked up inside the other, with the lids separating the containers, don't take up any more space than my old plastic junk.

I use these ALL THE TIME, I can't say enough good things about them. All of mine are "in commision" right now, except for one which is in the dishwasher. My one complaint is a set of 7 lids and 7 containers is not enough, I need another set, LOL. :-) (I also have the loaf pan w/ lid - very nice, small, but nice, good addition to my set)

Highly recommend! :-)
1818 comments| 465 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 22, 2014
I put it in microwave to reheat my food.
After 1-2 mins, it is suddenly exploded in the microwave.
Thanks that no one gets hurt with that poor quality bowls.
I maybe used it in the wrong way, but it is supposed to be ok to heat in microwave.
I hope there is a way to get a replacement item. (How?)
review image
44 comments| 208 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 9, 2005
Pyrex has two product lines, Storageware (of which this set is a part) and Serveware, that really should be combined. As others have pointed out, this set could be improved by having some larger bowls. The Serveware line features larger bowls, made of textured glass, that look nicer on the table than these plain glass bowls. But the Serveware bowls don't come with lids; you need to use disposable plastic wrap for refrigerator storage.

The bowls in this set have mostly straight sides. While this is more efficient for storing things in your refrigerator, it's less so for stacking the set in your cupboards when not in use. A bit more taper in the sides would let the same-size bowls stack better. The Serveware bowls have quite a lot of taper in the sides, so they stack together well in the cupboard but don't use space in the refrigerator efficiently.

Here's what Pyrex needs to produce: a set of bowls, mostly larger than in this set, with the attractive texture of the Serveware line. The sides should have a moderate amount of taper so they'll stack together in your cupboards. They should have lids that fit the bowls.

WATCH OUT for mismatched lids. My set came with the correct assortment of bowls, but 5 small lids for the 4 small bowls and only 1 medium lid for the 2 medium bowls. Of course I didn't check this until I'd already run the full set through the dishwasher and torn the box apart for curbside recycling. I would have rated the set 4 stars without this warehouse goof.
1313 comments| 260 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 1, 2005
Pyrex glass containers with snap on covers are the BEST, most healthy containers... glass is the safest material for microwaving...do not use plastics to microwave - (...). The only complaints I have are that I wish the bowls came in bigger sizes too and be very gentle when opening the lid straight out of the freezer as the edges of the lids are a little brittle when frozen. If you let the container sit at room temperature for a few minutes before opening, the plastic lid warms up enough to open easily. Anyway - great product - highly recommended.
22 comments| 104 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 30, 2014
BEWARE. They ship you these in such a way that they are almost guaranteed to arrive broken. Also, the new pyrex uses a different type of glass. Order from Amazon.UK to get the old Pyrex made with borisilicated glass. These arent meant to be used in hot/cold temps. WIll break.
on November 9, 2006
I bought this set when they were on sale for close to 50% off. They are a great value for the price. I prefer glass to plastic for storage and reheating since it doesn't discolor with foods, and has no risk of releasing any harmful fumes.

I regularly take them from the fridge straight into the microwave with no problems. The lids fit great, but warp a little but if allowed to heat-dry in the dishwasher. Otherwise, they are dishwasher safe. The bowls are elegant enough to be used as serving bowls in a pinch as well.

Just remember that "pieces" include lids, so a 14-piece set is 7 containers and their lids.
on August 10, 2014
These are great! I use them to store homemade yogurt and then bring one to work with me each day. The lids seal tight, the cups are a perfect size, they clean up easy in the dishwasher because they are glass.
on December 15, 2013
I ordered this product as a gift. I received the first set to find a bowl was chipped (I could hear the loose glass when picking up the box). Amazon promptly sent a replacement, that was also damaged. Both were sent well packaged from Amazon, unfortunately Pyrex doesn't have the product packaged well in their box. I ended up buying a slightly different set at Walmart. The product, I'm sure, is great, if it came in one piece.
on December 7, 2015
This is a great little set of these 1-cup Pyrex bowls with lids. Though the brand is Pyrex, there are NOT borosilicate glass like the Pyrex products of old. It's still tempered glass and stands up well to normal kitchen use.

The lids fit snugly; they leak ever so slightly if you're tipping around a bowl of liquid, so I wouldn't recommend these for travel use. They're a great size for kitchen prep work, though; you can prep ingredients before hand, store them in the fridge, and then pull them out when it's time to cook, just like you have your own cooking show. The lids are microwave safe, but the bowls do not have handles and can get uncomfortably hot to hold.

I've had several of these bowls for more than five years, and the lids have held up great. I've even washed them on the bottom rack of the dishwasher and they've been fine.
on November 5, 2006
it was a fair deal for the price I bought. I really like them as a good storage set. easy to clean, but the lids are said to be dishwasher safe. I dont agree with that. They should be hand washed with normal water. If they are washed using the dishwasher they wear out quickly, they loose the elastic behaviour. I am just planning to buy more and more of pyrex storage sets. I would highly recommend this product.