Truck Reviews Beauty Audible Mel Robbins Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Electronics Gift Guide Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now STL18_GNO

on November 29, 2017
Got this for my 8yr old daughter who asked Santa for a microscope. Book is full of interesting facts and ideas, I am sure we will have lots of fun with this book! Great compliment for a microscope.
5 people found this helpful
on October 4, 2016
Bought a Amscope microscope for my granddaughter'so 9th Birthday. I saw this book, sold separately,. which has many experiments & easy to read how to do them & explains what the experiment does. She loves the book. It is a paperback book but a well made one. A great price too !
6 people found this helpful
on December 18, 2014
Please note that this 2008 reprint is identical in every way to the 1989 version of the same title. So, if you are looking for more reviews, everything you see said about the "white cover" World of the Microscope applies here as well.
I loved microscopes in school and have envied our science classes for years whenever the microscope unit came around, so I finally got myself some scopes (compound and stereo) about 18 months ago, along with nearly all the supplies I thought I might need (was confused on the dyes that would be helpful, so only picked up methylene blue as it was so easy to obtain). Alas, without a teacher to do the preparations for me, I found myself a little at a loss as to how to make my own slides. The Internet helped a bit, but I wasn't very successful with my first efforts and put my microscopes aside with some regret and a vague hope of working things out later.
Then recently I came across the 1989 edition of this book in our library and had a look through it. Almost at once I decided that it might fill in some of the gaps in my knowledge (like how to properly use that hand microtome I bought!). Parts of the book are of no interest to me (e.g., who uses microscopes or how they work, the types of scopes and their parts, etc.), but the novice level information on stains, making sections, preparing various projects for viewing, culturing bacteria, and so on looks like it's just what I need. And yes, there was definitely good information about using a microtome (including how I could have saved money by making my own from scratch). Sure, all of this has got to be scattered around online, but I'm a book person, happy to have it all in one place and in reach when I want it (which is why I bought my own copy after the library one looked good to me).
In conclusion, it's always a risk to write a review before fully using the item in question, but from the point of view of a would-be microscopist looking for a starting point, I expect to be very satisfied with this book, and believe others in my position might like it as well. Oh, and yes, it's definitely made for the children's market, not aimed at adults, but for my needs that's not an issue (and is maybe even a plus, as they don't assume knowledge the reader may not have).
13 people found this helpful
on December 15, 2017
Gave this along with the microscope for Christmas and he was so excited, he us 9 years old and a big science buff. Nice illustrations and step by step instructions that looked easy to follow
One person found this helpful
on January 10, 2018
Nice book and age appropriate. Easy for bright child who is interested in science to follow. Bought for my granddaughter as part of her Christmas to go with a microscope and slides. The only down side was the price I paid. If I had time and had shopped around I could have got it for a quarter of the price hence the four star rating
on March 15, 2015
Purchased this to go with the microscope I got for my granddaughters who are home schooled. They have had a great time with both and have learned a lot. They love science and this book was a great addition to the microscope. They have had hours of fun with everything.
4 people found this helpful
on January 13, 2015
Pros: My daughter loves this book. I bought it when purchasing her first microscope. I highly recommend purchasing this book to increase ones knowledge of uses of microscopes.

Cons: For me personally, I had to wait about a month to receive it. Which normally wouldn't have been to large of a issue, but unfortunately I did not receive it in time to give to my daughter, with her microscope, for her birthday.
2 people found this helpful
on June 14, 2014
I use this with my grand-kids and my compound microscope to help open their eyes to the natural world around them. It is full of good information that they can understand. (Not for a collage graduate.)
5 people found this helpful
on February 14, 2018
This book is a little chaotic and difficult for a kid to follow. We had gotten this, a microscope, and some slides for the kids for Christmas and this book just couldn't engage them.
One person found this helpful
on October 20, 2017
I bought nearly all the popular microscope books on Amazon. This one is old, no photographs, just drawings. But it has some useful things that I don't find in my other microscope books.