Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: World Music: A Global Journey
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now

on August 29, 2010
This textbook takes a travel approach to learning more about music from around the world. This helps you relate the music to the various lands and you really get a sense of how neighboring regions' music can affect each other.

The writing style is very readable and never comes across as "stuffy." I purchased this textbook because it was required for a college masters class and I truly enjoyed the reading assignments. So often textbooks at that level get so bogged down in terminology and "academic speak" that they are a chore to read. While there is plenty of terminology with this subject, the authors take time in the first 3 chapters to set you up for the journey. This includes explaining their philosophy and terminology used throughout the book. Major terms from the text are also defined in the margins next to where they were introduced which makes studying for tests and researching for papers and projects much easier.

Accompanying the text are 2 CDs (included) and generous amounts of photographs that allow you to hear and see the cultures as you study them. There is also a website for the book which includes even more supplemental materials. The book is broken into "sites" and as you "arrive" at each site you are introduced to the history, geography and native culture. You then dive in to one or more styles of music native to that region. Since music is a reflection of its culture, you can really understand the cultural basis of the music with this approach.

The book is designed to be an introduction to world music and not an exhaustive text on any one culture. That being said, I still came away with what I felt was a thorough primer of music from other lands. There is a lot of material in this textbook and it is a worthwhile read. While clearly a college text, I believe it would work well for a high school class in the hands of an enthusiastic instructor.
on January 8, 2012
I purchased this book to prepare for the ethnomusicology portion of a university entrance exam. The text is interesting and appropriate for an audience familiar with the basic fundamentals of music (explained in the first chapter). The audio examples (on two accompanying CDs) are explained in the text as well, helpful for aurally understanding material presented in each chapter. I was able to read "World Music" from cover to cover in two months (slow summertime reading) and successfully pass my exam (mostly because the listening examples in the book were well explained - my ears were prepared). The book isn't exhaustive, of course, but it doesn't claim to be. Overall, a good introductory textbook I would use in my classroom.
on October 2, 2010
I've used this book and accompanying CD's for the past few years as the basis of the world music aspect of the IB (International Baccalaureate) programme. My students have noted that they've found this text book easy to read and comprehend. Not all world musics are reviewed. However, it gives enough of a basis to allow the students to use the framework model noted within the book for further individual research within other musical contexts.

Certainly worth it if you have nothing else near you! Used in conjunction with the Schott World Sound Matters materials, the world music part of IB is sorted! World Sound Matters: An Anthology of Music from Around the World (Schott)
on August 3, 2013
Got this for my intro to world music class--arrived on time in good condition. Interesting (if sometimes vague and very sanitized) overview of music and musical history from around the world.
on March 25, 2012
Wow, what a journey of Music. Captivating book. My daughter needed it for College and enjoyed it very much. A great book for anyone interested in music from across the globe.
on October 8, 2012
I am very satisfied with the book. I found the book above my expectation.The price was so cheap so i thought there must have some defaults but there was nothing like that.
on May 20, 2013
I knew this was a used copy of a first edition. However, the content of the area in which I am interested was minimal. It is an interesting text to browse through.
on September 19, 2013
Thank you for including the two disc I was not expecting that so for that I thank you. The book is in a great condition and for the price I payed. Again Thank You
on November 23, 2014
I had to buy this for my Music class, it was a great introduction to world music and came with a CD too.
on June 22, 2016
I bought this book because I like World Music. I would recommend it.