Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One ft Nina Nesbitt GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 140 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 238 reviews
on July 21, 2015
The World Peace Diet is a must read for any environmentalist, social activist, animal rights activist, and spiritual seeker. Dr. Tuttle masterfully presents a compelling premise that all of our environmental and social problems, including global warming and war, are rooted in a cultural mentality of reductionism, anthropocentrism, exclusivism, predation, desensitization, disconnectedness, and domination. According to Dr. Tuttle, our culture started developing this mentality around 10,000 years ago as humans began herding animals for food, clothing, and other human needs, and then this mentality spread to treating humans and the environment in similar exploitative ways. While it is impossible to irrevocably “prove” that herding animals “caused” war, violence against women, slavery, inequality, poverty, and other social issues, what is clearly undeniable after reading this book are the contemporary connections between animal agriculture and environmental issues, between eating animal foods and human health issues, and between animal agriculture and the tremendous suffering experienced by animals. Yet most people deny these connections. Dr.Tuttle explains the reasons for this denial: People inherit their animal-based diets from their parents along with the cultural mentality that diminishes their natural compassion for animals. Their diets and this uncompassionate mentality are reinforced as they grow up by teachers, doctors, religious organizations, peers, and the media. With the suppression of compassion, people see animals as things to be used to benefit humans rather than as beings with as much of an intrinsic right as humans to live for themselves in the way that nature designed them to live. With the suppression of compassion people see the environment as a resource to be used for human benefit rather than as the intricate web of living beings and non-living materials that support life on this planet. With the suppression of compassion people see other people as things that can be manipulated to serve selfish interests rather than as beings with lives and interests as valid as one’s own. This book beautifully shows how it is this loss of compassion and the subsequent blindness to the interconnections of all beings and the earth that underlie all the world’s problems. Dr. Tuttle calls for a vegan revolution to address these problems. This revolution goes far beyond refraining from using non-human animals for food, clothing, medicines, entertainment, etc. It is truly an evolution of consciousness, an expansion of humanity’s love and concern to include all beings and the earth. I have not read any other book that so powerfully shows the connection between all of our problems and the beautiful simplicity of the solution.

This is not just another animal rights book telling people to quit eating and wearing animals. It goes to the heart of humanity’s destructive and elitist relationship with the rest of the world and guides people to recognize our real relationship of interconnectedness and to live from that realization. Dr. Tuttle respects the difficulty that people will have with going against their acculturation by becoming vegan, and directs vegans to lovingly support them as they transition rather than to aggressively attack them for not being vegan. Throughout the book he paints a vision of a joyful and harmonious vegan world based on love and connection rather than exploitation and disconnection. People are asked to give up using animals, but by doing so, they will help co-create a more harmonious and joyful world for themselves and other creatures.
on November 20, 2016
I once ate an average of 2-3 animal products (flesh or secretions) in every meal I ate, until I was guided to the truth of animal agriculture when I became life-long friends with a vegan marathoner and my now-wife who was raised vegetarian and together we became vegan. It took me four years to slowly taper back my consumption of animal parts, until finally eliminating the "option" permanently. Despite the past 6 years of life experience, comuning with animals, growing plants and perusing self-education, this book taught me the depth of the issue in our minds and our daily lives. I am afraid readers might write this off assuming that the author believes eliminating animal agriculture and enslavement will solve everything. To anyone who would interpret in this light, this book examines a root cause of the problems that are the symptoms of an illness. A head ache is terrible and so are the problems in this world, but let us treat the illness. After reading this I am dedicated to lovingly oppose this culture of commodifying and manipulating living things. Let's leave nature be and embrace it!
on March 15, 2014
This book was a very easy to read and interesting which reminded my of an Autobiography of a Yogi, and this could have been titles an Autobiography of a Vegan.
If you read this book and do not follow a vegan or at least a vegetarian diet afterwards, I do not see how you could live with yourself.
This book definitely makes the case for the vegan diet.
I have been a vegetarian for many years and after reading this book and watching Forks over Knives I have given up the dairy.
Thank you for this book Will Tuttle.
on December 29, 2014
I actually think the title of this book could be improved and would probably go with ‘World Peace Living’ instead as this presents a better picture of the material. This is not a diet book at all but a book of deep cultural history, self-improvement, and global transformation. This is one of the few books that goes to the root of social issues seeking lasting evolution instead of hacking at the leaves with temporary fixes. By showing the interconnectedness of a wide variety of issue we also see the deceptively simple way to begin our path out of the dilemma. Whether your focus is on gender equality or worker rights – whether you classify yourself as a green environmentalist or spiritual peace activist – this book can show the first step needed to live in alignment and build bridges from our current state to a world community that works for all.
on May 17, 2015
If you’re a person wondering what Veganism is and why Veganism even exists, this book is the best one I’ve read of many. Also, I cannot emphasize enough that if you already are a Vegan, you need to read this to fully round out your approach on being an effective and proactive representative using respect and love toward all along the way. You will quickly see that Dr. Tuttle’s knowledge and compassion work together to take you on a journey that is not commonplace in Vegan writings. Sometimes I had to take pause when he seemed to be in a zone with his eloquent writing. Please, please do read this book.
on March 4, 2013
I only added this book to my cart to get the free shipping (I was buying animal liberation and dominion). I was very skeptical but the 5 star ratings by over 100 people made choosing this over several other books on the topic of non-human animals used and abused and reduced to mere objects was quite simple.

Now like I mentioned I was skeptical at first. I believe this stems from the overuse of the 'diet' which has lost half its meaning because wether you eat healthy or eat chocolate fudge every night the two are diets respectively. So everyone is on a DIET! That would be another issue for another time and another place however. I just had a little bit of a tough time getting over the title, and I was soooo happy to find that its actually somewhat misleading.

So, simply put this book extensively delves into the interconnectedness - if that's a word - of everything. And the author speaks of the correlations of the way we treat animals to issues in our societies. Such as say teen pregnancies - A dairy cow is made to become pregnant at one year of age or less. In the wild a cow would become receptive at 4 to 6 years of age where it would be considered of age and an adult. Now, we make her to become pregnant as a mere child. Then consuming cows milk and other animal products has caused the age of the first cycle of a young ladies menstruation to go from 17 to 12.5 years of age. And that's just one example. This book is for everyone, unfortunately too many of us wont think so.

At the beginning of every chapter are quotes from important people such as Albert Einstein who said,"Our task must be to free ourselves . . . by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty."
"Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances of survival for life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet."

Thomas Edison (you know, the guy the invented the light bulb amongst many other things) who said,"Non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other living beings, we are still savages."

And Pythagoras(Hailed as the math genius that he was) said,"For as long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seed of murder and pain cannot reap joy and love."

These are just a few suppressed bits of knowledge these men intended to fall the on welcoming ears of the people. which do not make any financial sense to the "Big Dogs".

Oh and you better believe I'm going to be giving copies to my meat eating friends and family. We need to stop the violence directed towards the non-human sentient beings of this planet before we could ever have world peace.

If you read this and are unimpressed or otherwise unaffected, I'm filled with sadness for your lost connections. Which might not even have been there to begin with(not your fault). Connections which are just not allowed to be developed from the moment we are born onward.
on June 2, 2014
I became a vegetarian after reading this book over three months ago, not quite vegan yet (I still have milk in my tea and the occasional egg from my spoilt pet chickens, but definitely getting there.

I feel perfectly healthy and have the same if not more energy. But more importantly it has lifted the 'cognitive dissonance' that blocked my thinking or "spiritually" as spoken about in this book by Will Tuttle. I somehow avoided thinking about what animals went through and the environmental foot print involved in eating meat, even though I am an environmental and wildlife activist? Somehow, my subconscious allowed me to think that farmed animals didn't really count. Their suffering didn't matter, as it did for wild animals.

As the old Spike Milligan quote goes "A in a cage puts all heaven in a rage, but how feels heaven when dies the billionth battery hen?"

Thank you Will Tuttle for this great book.
on March 18, 2010
The World Peace Diet by Dr. Will Tuttle is the most thorough book ever written on the lifestyle and food choices humans make on a daily basis. He gives incredible, well-researched details about the food systems we have created in the U.S. and around the world and how these impact negatively on humans and animals. I have been a plant based eater for 20 years, have read every book possible on this subject, but learned a great deal more by Dr. Tuttle's book. He shows the food systems in place which are perpetuated from a child's earliest exposure to food by mom's cooking, as well as by the millions of dollars spent by the dairy, meat (including fish), or eggs on advertising. He writes about the chronic diseases we are dying from as a result of the indifference of the medical community to take action to educate patients. He exposes the subsidies by the government for the meat, dairy, egg even though we are nutritionally best fed by eating a plant based diet. We are feeding our children the food stemming from violence and cruelty. Those who care about their health, the health of their children, the welfare of the sentient beings, and our soils, oceans, lakes, rivers, streams, or air, must read this definitive, inspirational book!
on May 7, 2013
Dr. Will Tuttle makes a complete and compelling case that there is absolutely no reason (other than conditioning and ignorance) for sensient beings to be killed by humans for human or animal consumption, while also convincing us that there are multitudinous physical, emotional, spiritual and ecological reasons that they should simply be considered fellow companions on our beautiful planet, and deserve kindness and compassion, honor and reverence.

Simultaneously, his open-hearted, compassionate writing teaches that activism need not be painful for the activist or the pre-vegan population, that we are all evolving, and that kindness within education is very effective.

Most importantly, however, is the iteration that our world will never know peace until we make the connection between the violence on our plates perpetrated on defenseless creatures to the violence perpetrated throughout the world on each other.

I'm very glad my eyes are open now and i will carry the message in my heart and on my tongue and of course on my own plate.
on April 7, 2016
A stunning read and a life challening book. The truth of it made me cry. It also made me stop with the meat and the dairy. Will Tuttle has nailed it on so many levels. The environment and how our habits are influencing it every day. Illustrates on a deep level how these habits damage our health. He painstakingly illustrates the effect that our every day choices have on continuing to support women oppression, as well as covering animals - their story from birth to a dinner plate. Please buy this book and 'take it in'. Not an easy read - b u t an important one! The most important knowledge for physical, spiritual, cosmic and heart health you will find. Rippling effects will be vast when we know. Somehow this just needs to be a compulsory read. Knowing what's in this book can bring peace to our world.