Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Fire TV Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on November 20, 2016
I once ate an average of 2-3 animal products (flesh or secretions) in every meal I ate, until I was guided to the truth of animal agriculture when I became life-long friends with a vegan marathoner and my now-wife who was raised vegetarian and together we became vegan. It took me four years to slowly taper back my consumption of animal parts, until finally eliminating the "option" permanently. Despite the past 6 years of life experience, comuning with animals, growing plants and perusing self-education, this book taught me the depth of the issue in our minds and our daily lives. I am afraid readers might write this off assuming that the author believes eliminating animal agriculture and enslavement will solve everything. To anyone who would interpret in this light, this book examines a root cause of the problems that are the symptoms of an illness. A head ache is terrible and so are the problems in this world, but let us treat the illness. After reading this I am dedicated to lovingly oppose this culture of commodifying and manipulating living things. Let's leave nature be and embrace it!
8 people found this helpful
on January 11, 2016
I love this book. I've only been vegan for 3 years but it helped me to find my sanity and go from being an angry vegan to a more compassionate vegan. The book helped me to understand how and why we are so stuck on our ways of eating animals and their byproducts despite the reality that it is so destructive to our planet, health and the innocent animals who are the biggest victims of all.
9 people found this helpful
on April 9, 2016
For the first time in human history we now know what we should eat and what we should not eat. What we should not eat is what we are eating. The Standard American Diet. SAD. It should be called the Stupid American Diet. It's what killed my father. He was an MD and like most MD's knew nothing about diet. Said he had a bad heart. But it wasn't his heart it was his diet. The SAD kills millions of Americans every year. Dr. Greger, in his book, "How Not To Die" shows that how diet determines the 12 leading causes of death in the U.S.

Dr.Tuttle presents a strong case for animal rights. There are people who say they, "love animals," and then they eat meat. What a contradiction ! What hipocrasy !! Most people cannot go beyond their early conditioning. Most people do not even know they are conditioned ! Margaret Mead, the famous anthropologist, said, "It's easier to change a man's religion than his diet." Most people are food addicts, addicted to the kinds of food they have been eating since childhood.

Another reason to go Vegan is the environment. The vast herds of livestock around the world generate more greenhouse gases than even motor vehicles. We could get away with the carnivorous diet in 1930 when the earth's population was only 2 billion. Not that there was anything good about it, but we could get away with it. But now the earth's population is 7.3 billion and we can no longer get away with it.
The most significant thing the individual human can do to reduce global warming is to adopt a Vegan diet. They will help the planet and also improve their own health. But of course, most people are too addicted to their bad diets to even consider this. As Socrates said, "An unexamined life is not worth living." And most lives are unexamined.
7 people found this helpful
on October 12, 2016
This book has a valuable and original viewpoint, and although parts got a bit repetitive, it was well-written. I could see it being used as part of a high school or college course. One controversial aspect to the book is Tuttle's description of the "vibrations" of a food based on its history, which might turn off some skeptical readers. For all I know, there may be something to the New Age concept of "vibrations", but it would be challenging to experimentally verify Tuttle's claims about them. There do exist studies where praying for plants helped them grow better, but the case for "food karma" is mostly theoretical.
4 people found this helpful
on October 12, 2015
We are passionate about animals and their rights to live out full lives and not be used for food or any other products. This is the most important book I have read in my 82 plus years. Whether a person is vegan or not, this book is for those who love people and any or all animal lives. Personally, I recommend this book with 6 stars. Also, recommend readers read Gary Francione's EAT LIKE YOU CARE and Judy Carmen's PEACE TO ALL BEINGS.
6 people found this helpful
on June 6, 2018
The World Peace Diet: Eating for Spiritual Health and Social Harmony
Dr. Tuttle is a genius who has found his true calling here. This masterpiece of a book is profound in it's implications and in it's delivery.
Rarely do you find an author with such vast knowledge and such truth. One who has a Doctorate from UC Berkley and who has also spent many years living as a Zen Monk.
A true blending of worlds exists within him.
The book is thorough. Read it through slowly and enjoy. It explains our culture from it's very beginnings and how utterly important our thrice daily meals are, not just to keep our bodies alive,
but to reenforce the values of this herding culture we are part of. We learn exactly what it means to be part of such a culture, how this culture came to be, how it perpetuates itself,
and the damage it does to us, the world and every other living thing in the world. But we don't simply learn the bad, we also learn exactly what it takes to reverse these ill effects.

This is a revolutionary work, the best I've read.

Earlier I said to slow down, read and enjoy. Well you won't necessarily enjoy parts of this book, because Dr. Tuttle holds nothing back when describing the affects of this violent culture to non humans. In those
places the book truly broke my heart over and over. But what good is mere knowledge without emotion , without something to drive that knowledge to do good ? Yes even the sad parts are necessary and
very well done.

This is at once a very scholarly work brimming full of resources for everything that is said, a self help book that goes way beyond any self help book I've ever encountered and a story with highs, lows, beginnings
and many potential outcomes. It will illuminate and inspire. That much is a given !
Buy this book, you will not regret it !
One person found this helpful
on May 27, 2015
Dr. Will Tuttle's writing style will change your mind about any worries regarding being vegan or vegetarian. It begs the question that if we are merciful, compassionate human beings, how could we ever kill or take the life of any animal in order to feed our greed in diet ? The book creates sympathy & understanding of how we get our food, & the morals behind every bite that will change after reading this. It will change your viewpoint on this, one way or the other. AND if you go to YouTube & his website (www.WorldPeaceDiet.com) you'll be pleasantly surprised by his inspirational music for sale, & sensational recipes & paintings/illustrations by his wife Madeline.
3 people found this helpful
on March 15, 2014
This book was a very easy to read and interesting which reminded my of an Autobiography of a Yogi, and this could have been titles an Autobiography of a Vegan.
If you read this book and do not follow a vegan or at least a vegetarian diet afterwards, I do not see how you could live with yourself.
This book definitely makes the case for the vegan diet.
I have been a vegetarian for many years and after reading this book and watching Forks over Knives I have given up the dairy.
Thank you for this book Will Tuttle.
7 people found this helpful
on March 4, 2013
I only added this book to my cart to get the free shipping (I was buying animal liberation and dominion). I was very skeptical but the 5 star ratings by over 100 people made choosing this over several other books on the topic of non-human animals used and abused and reduced to mere objects was quite simple.

Now like I mentioned I was skeptical at first. I believe this stems from the overuse of the 'diet' which has lost half its meaning because wether you eat healthy or eat chocolate fudge every night the two are diets respectively. So everyone is on a DIET! That would be another issue for another time and another place however. I just had a little bit of a tough time getting over the title, and I was soooo happy to find that its actually somewhat misleading.

So, simply put this book extensively delves into the interconnectedness - if that's a word - of everything. And the author speaks of the correlations of the way we treat animals to issues in our societies. Such as say teen pregnancies - A dairy cow is made to become pregnant at one year of age or less. In the wild a cow would become receptive at 4 to 6 years of age where it would be considered of age and an adult. Now, we make her to become pregnant as a mere child. Then consuming cows milk and other animal products has caused the age of the first cycle of a young ladies menstruation to go from 17 to 12.5 years of age. And that's just one example. This book is for everyone, unfortunately too many of us wont think so.

At the beginning of every chapter are quotes from important people such as Albert Einstein who said,"Our task must be to free ourselves . . . by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty."
"Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances of survival for life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet."

Thomas Edison (you know, the guy the invented the light bulb amongst many other things) who said,"Non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other living beings, we are still savages."

And Pythagoras(Hailed as the math genius that he was) said,"For as long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seed of murder and pain cannot reap joy and love."

These are just a few suppressed bits of knowledge these men intended to fall the on welcoming ears of the people. which do not make any financial sense to the "Big Dogs".

Oh and you better believe I'm going to be giving copies to my meat eating friends and family. We need to stop the violence directed towards the non-human sentient beings of this planet before we could ever have world peace.

If you read this and are unimpressed or otherwise unaffected, I'm filled with sadness for your lost connections. Which might not even have been there to begin with(not your fault). Connections which are just not allowed to be developed from the moment we are born onward.
5 people found this helpful
on December 29, 2014
I actually think the title of this book could be improved and would probably go with ‘World Peace Living’ instead as this presents a better picture of the material. This is not a diet book at all but a book of deep cultural history, self-improvement, and global transformation. This is one of the few books that goes to the root of social issues seeking lasting evolution instead of hacking at the leaves with temporary fixes. By showing the interconnectedness of a wide variety of issue we also see the deceptively simple way to begin our path out of the dilemma. Whether your focus is on gender equality or worker rights – whether you classify yourself as a green environmentalist or spiritual peace activist – this book can show the first step needed to live in alignment and build bridges from our current state to a world community that works for all.
2 people found this helpful